RemedySpot.com

Re: Denied field trip - what are our rights?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Lori,

I had to wait a while to respond, because my blood was boiling. Life is hard enough...who does this teacher thinks she is!!!! If I were you I would write a note very nicely asking the teacher to put in writing why your daughter is allowed to go on the field trip with her class. I would ask her to include why she is refusing to let you go, in your own car, and provide the care you offered for your child. (Which is very nice of you, but the school should be providing it) I would take those notes and send copies to ( 1.) The superintendents of the school (2.) The school committee (3) Your State Disability Law Office. Your child is entitled to the same education as every other child is the classroom regardless of her disability. Your child's self-esteem could be crushed if she was not "allowed" to experience the "fun " the other children in her class are exposed to. And Dear God, for a teacher to accuse you of putting anything before your child is Ludicrous. I would take all documents and file a complaint to be put in the teacher's permanent record. I would go to the PTA, or PTG and suggest that they get a speaker from the State Office of Developmental Disabilities to offer a workshop for the teachers, as it seems they desperately need reminding that each and every child regardless of their disability is to be treated as equally as all the other children, even if this means having that damn teacher doing cartwheels down the hall

Guest guest

Lori,

I had to wait a while to respond, because my blood was boiling. Life is hard enough...who does this teacher thinks she is!!!! If I were you I would write a note very nicely asking the teacher to put in writing why your daughter is allowed to go on the field trip with her class. I would ask her to include why she is refusing to let you go, in your own car, and provide the care you offered for your child. (Which is very nice of you, but the school should be providing it) I would take those notes and send copies to ( 1.) The superintendents of the school (2.) The school committee (3) Your State Disability Law Office. Your child is entitled to the same education as every other child is the classroom regardless of her disability. Your child's self-esteem could be crushed if she was not "allowed" to experience the "fun " the other children in her class are exposed to. And Dear God, for a teacher to accuse you of putting anything before your child is Ludicrous. I would take all documents and file a complaint to be put in the teacher's permanent record. I would go to the PTA, or PTG and suggest that they get a speaker from the State Office of Developmental Disabilities to offer a workshop for the teachers, as it seems they desperately need reminding that each and every child regardless of their disability is to be treated as equally as all the other children, even if this means having that damn teacher doing cartwheels down the hall

Guest guest

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the advice about the school denying Alycia the opportunity to go on the field trip due to the potential of over heating.

Right now, it is in the hands of the Special Education Assistant Director. He explained to me that it is Alycia's right to attend that field trip with whatever accommodations are necessary to allow this.

He assured me that I was not being a bad mother by insisting that Alycia go on the trip, and that my request that she be kept hydrated and wet seemed to be an adequate solution. He actually did not think that it was necessary for me to follow in my own car in case Alycia needed to be sent home. In fact, for some reason, he seemed to prefer that I not take this measure. He said it is up to the school to figure out a way that will allow Alycia to safely attend field trips with her class. It is not my responsibility.

The next step is that the SPED director needs to have a conversation with the school principal to find out what rules or politics are behind the school's reluctance to allow Alycia on this trip then rectify the situation.

Interestingly, I have learned that it is up to the local school administration to comply with an IEP. The Pupil Personnel department (SPED director) who develop the IEP are more like consultants. They present the IEP to the school principal who then agrees to comply. If there isn't compliance, the chain of command is classroom teacher, principal, SPED director.

So, the problem with Alycia's school trip has something to do with either the opinions of the classroom teacher or the principal. It is hard to tell where the opinion is originating since it is possible that the classroom teacher and aid are speaking as representatives of the principal. Everyone speaks in generalities and uses terms like "we think" or "the opinion is" so I never know where these mandates are really coming from.

I ran into this a few months ago when the SPED team liaison informed me that the computer that was placed in Alycia's classroom for her exclusive use was too old to handle any of the software programs that were recommended for her in the IEP. She said "Generally, computers are not placed in first grade classrooms so the old computer was the best that we are allowed. A new computer is too expensive." When I asked the SPED director why Alycia wasn't given a proper computer, he had no clue what I was talking about then told me that I need to tell the school that a working computer is in the IEP and they are required by law to comply. That is when I realized that the SPED department does not enforce IEPs, the administration of the local school is responsible for this.

These politics are enough to drive a person crazy!

Lori

*********************************Lori Downs, OwnerHesperus Web Designhttp://www.HesperusWebDesign.cominfo@...

Get Free Web Site Marketing Advice:http://www.hesperuswebdesign.com/web_tips.htm

Guest guest

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the advice about the school denying Alycia the opportunity to go on the field trip due to the potential of over heating.

Right now, it is in the hands of the Special Education Assistant Director. He explained to me that it is Alycia's right to attend that field trip with whatever accommodations are necessary to allow this.

He assured me that I was not being a bad mother by insisting that Alycia go on the trip, and that my request that she be kept hydrated and wet seemed to be an adequate solution. He actually did not think that it was necessary for me to follow in my own car in case Alycia needed to be sent home. In fact, for some reason, he seemed to prefer that I not take this measure. He said it is up to the school to figure out a way that will allow Alycia to safely attend field trips with her class. It is not my responsibility.

The next step is that the SPED director needs to have a conversation with the school principal to find out what rules or politics are behind the school's reluctance to allow Alycia on this trip then rectify the situation.

Interestingly, I have learned that it is up to the local school administration to comply with an IEP. The Pupil Personnel department (SPED director) who develop the IEP are more like consultants. They present the IEP to the school principal who then agrees to comply. If there isn't compliance, the chain of command is classroom teacher, principal, SPED director.

So, the problem with Alycia's school trip has something to do with either the opinions of the classroom teacher or the principal. It is hard to tell where the opinion is originating since it is possible that the classroom teacher and aid are speaking as representatives of the principal. Everyone speaks in generalities and uses terms like "we think" or "the opinion is" so I never know where these mandates are really coming from.

I ran into this a few months ago when the SPED team liaison informed me that the computer that was placed in Alycia's classroom for her exclusive use was too old to handle any of the software programs that were recommended for her in the IEP. She said "Generally, computers are not placed in first grade classrooms so the old computer was the best that we are allowed. A new computer is too expensive." When I asked the SPED director why Alycia wasn't given a proper computer, he had no clue what I was talking about then told me that I need to tell the school that a working computer is in the IEP and they are required by law to comply. That is when I realized that the SPED department does not enforce IEPs, the administration of the local school is responsible for this.

These politics are enough to drive a person crazy!

Lori

*********************************Lori Downs, OwnerHesperus Web Designhttp://www.HesperusWebDesign.cominfo@...

Get Free Web Site Marketing Advice:http://www.hesperuswebdesign.com/web_tips.htm

Guest guest

Call your state board of education, give them all the info. They will take

care of it. What they are doing is against the law, fight them, they cannot

get away with it. You have offered so much help to them, they must need to

read the rule book again! Hope this helps. Good Luck

Colby, 12, COX IV, LCFAD, Agenesis Corpus Callosum, ADHD

Guest guest

If you want to get immediate results go where the real power is. Contact your state and federal representatives and senators for your area. All schools receive state and federal funding, it is a serious violation of the law to deny you of any of your civil rights and can result in serious consequences and loss of funding for any school guilty of violating your civil rights and discriminating against children, especially those with disabilities. To find who your Congressmen are type in "write your congressman" in window and enter. You will find website with intructions that will give you all the information you need to do so. I once filed a complaint this way and got immediate results. Good luck, Jim.

Guest guest

If you want to get immediate results go where the real power is. Contact your state and federal representatives and senators for your area. All schools receive state and federal funding, it is a serious violation of the law to deny you of any of your civil rights and can result in serious consequences and loss of funding for any school guilty of violating your civil rights and discriminating against children, especially those with disabilities. To find who your Congressmen are type in "write your congressman" in window and enter. You will find website with intructions that will give you all the information you need to do so. I once filed a complaint this way and got immediate results. Good luck, Jim.