RemedySpot.com

vitamin b12

Rate this topic

Guest guest

• 7 years later...
Guest guest

My only thought is Jeff’s post a while ago which I have mentioned several times since he first posted it:

about centenarians who had vitamin deficiencies yet were not only old but healthy and vital.    Moral: deficiencies may not be an important issue for living a long, healthy life.  Since then I don’t sweat this issue or worry about it.  Here is Jeff’s post:

/message/27065

Reply-< >

Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 00:57:32 -0000

< >

Subject: [ ] Vitamin B12

Hi folks:

After more than a full month, my 25(OH)D result has not come in yet!!!

But something else, probably important, turned up among the other results. I apparently have an unacceptably low vitamin B12 reading. This is new. A year ago this number was comfortably above the low end of the range. This of course caused me to do some reading on the subject. We have all long known that it is obtained only from animal products, and it was surprising to me to find my level is low because I have been eating more animal products than usual over the past several months.

But what I did not know is that the recommended intake of this vitamin is increased for those over the age of 50 because of a decreased intestinal absorption of it with increasing age. And apparently, as with vitamin D, large doses of the vitamin are required to raise blood levels of it, either via intra-muscular injection or orally.

The test is being re-done for confirmation that they did not screw up the first one (more than possible!). And if the new result confirms the first then I will start taking substantial supplements of it. Hopefully orally. Apparently the synthetic version of the vitamin is far better absorbed than when the vitamin is contained in food.

If you are over 50 and have not had your vitamin B12 level tested, perhaps you should.

The best source I know for information on micro-nutrients such as B12 can be found at the University of Oregon website. This is their page for vitamin B12, and you will see how comprehensively they cover the subject matter:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminB12/

Any thoughts on the topic will be very welcome. Thanks.

Rodney.

Guest guest

Surprisingly, land animal meat and eggs do not seem to help. The paper's pdf is availed.

Dietary sources of vitamin B-12 and their association with plasma vitamin B-12 concentrations in the general population: the Hordaland Homocysteine Study.Vogiatzoglou A, AD, Nurk E, Berstad P, Drevon CA, Ueland PM, Vollset SE, Tell GS, Refsum H.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Apr;89(4):1078-87. Epub 2009 Feb 3.PMID: 19190073

BACKGROUND: Limited information is available on the association between vitamin B-12 status and intake from different dietary sources. OBJECTIVE: We investigated the relation of dietary intake of different food items with plasma vitamin B-12 concentrations in the general population. DESIGN: A cross-sectional, population-based study of 5937 subjects in 2 age groups (47-49 and 71-74 y) from the Hordaland Homocysteine Study in Norway was conducted by using a food-frequency questionnaire and measurements of plasma vitamin B-12 concentrations. RESULTS: A significant difference in plasma vitamin B-12 concentrations was observed with increasing total vitamin B-12 intake. A plateau was reached at an intake of approximately 10 microg/d. Plasma vitamin B-12 was associated with intakes of increasing amounts of vitamin B-12 from dairy products or fish (P for trend <0.001 for both) but not with intakes of vitamin B-12 from meat or eggs. For the same content

of vitamin B-12, intake from dairy products led to the greatest increase in plasma vitamin B-12. Total intake of vitamin B-12, particularly from milk and fish, decreased the risk of vitamin B-12 concentrations <200 pmol/L and impaired vitamin B-12 function (vitamin B-12 <200 pmol/L and methylmalonic acid >0.27 micromol/L) in the total group and in 71-74-y-old subjects. CONCLUSIONS: Dietary intake of dairy products and fish are significant contributors to plasma vitamin B-12 and may improve plasma vitamin B-12 status. Vitamin B-12 appears to be more bioavailable from dairy products; guidelines for improving vitamin B-12 status should take this into consideration.-- Aalt Pater

From: Rodney <perspect1111@...>Subject: [ ] Vitamin B12 Received: Thursday, March 26, 2009, 5:57 PM

Hi folks:

After more than a full month, my 25(OH)D result has not come in yet!!!

But something else, probably important, turned up among the other results. I apparently have an unacceptably low vitamin B12 reading. This is new. A year ago this number was comfortably above the low end of the range. This of course caused me to do some reading on the subject. We have all long known that it is obtained only from animal products, and it was surprising to me to find my level is low because I have been eating more animal products than usual over the past several months.

But what I did not know is that the recommended intake of this vitamin is increased for those over the age of 50 because of a decreased intestinal absorption of it with increasing age. And apparently, as with vitamin D, large doses of the vitamin are required to raise blood levels of it, either via intra-muscular injection or orally.

The test is being re-done for confirmation that they did not screw up the first one (more than possible!). And if the new result confirms the first then I will start taking substantial supplements of it. Hopefully orally. Apparently the synthetic version of the vitamin is far better absorbed than when the vitamin is contained in food.

If you are over 50 and have not had your vitamin B12 level tested, perhaps you should.

The best source I know for information on micro-nutrients such as B12 can be found at the University of Oregon website. This is their page for vitamin B12, and you will see how comprehensively they cover the subject matter:

http://lpi.oregonst ate.edu/infocent er/vitamins/ vitaminB12/

Any thoughts on the topic will be very welcome. Thanks.

Rodney.

Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Canada Messenger for the Web BETA