RemedySpot.com

sugar

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thank you, Dave. This is one of the things I'd read and I like that it contains Warburg's information. You have saved me some precious time, since I won't have to look for what I'd printed out off a download a few months ago. Happy weekend,

Dave Perkins <dperkins@...> wrote: I suggest all of you read this and make up your own minds:(Warburg's work is hard to ignore as to the role of sugar andcancer)http://www.mercola.com/article/sugar/sugar_cancer.htmCancer's Sweet Tooth>From The April 2000 Issue of Nutrition Science Newsby Quillin, PHD, RD, CNSDuring the last 10 years I have worked with more than 500 cancerpatientsas director of nutrition for Cancer Treatment Centers of AmericainTulsa,Okla. It puzzles me why the simple concept "sugar feeds cancer"can besodramatically overlooked as part of a comprehensive cancertreatmentplan.Of the 4 million cancer patients being treated in America today,hardlyanyare offered any scientifically guided nutrition therapy beyondbeingtoldto "just eat good foods." Most patients I work with arrive with acompletelack of nutritional advice. I believe many cancer patients wouldhave amajor improvement in their outcome if they controlled the supplyofcancer's preferred fuel, glucose. By slowing the cancer's growth,patientsallow their immune systems and medical debulkingtherapies--chemotherapy,radiation and surgery to reduce the bulk of the tumor mass--tocatch uptothe disease. Controlling one's blood-glucose levels through diet,supplements, exercise, meditation and prescription drugs whennecessarycanbe one of the most crucial components to a cancer recoveryprogram. Thesound bite--sugar feeds cancer--is simple. The explanation is alittlemorecomplex.The 1931 Nobel laureate in medicine, German Otto Warburg, Ph.D.,firstdiscovered that cancer cells have a fundamentally differentenergymetabolism compared to healthy cells. The crux of his Nobelthesis wasthatmalignant tumors frequently exhibit an increase in anaerobicglycolysis--aprocess whereby glucose is used as a fuel by cancer cells withlacticacidas an anaerobic byproduct--compared to normal tissues.1 The largeamountoflactic acid produced by this fermentation of glucose from cancercellsisthen transported to the liver. This conversion of glucose tolactategenerates a lower, more acidic pH in cancerous tissues as well asoverallphysical fatigue from lactic acid buildup.2,3 Thus, larger tumorstendtoexhibit a more acidic pH.4This inefficient pathway for energy metabolism yields only 2moles ofadenosine triphosphate (ATP) energy per mole of glucose, comparedto 38moles of ATP in the complete aerobic oxidation of glucose. Byextractingonly about 5 percent (2 vs. 38 moles of ATP) of the availableenergy inthefood supply and the body's calorie stores, the cancer is"wasting"energy,and the patient becomes tired and undernourished. This viciouscycleincreases body wasting.5 It is one reason why 40 percent ofcancerpatientsdie from malnutrition, or cachexia.6Hence, cancer therapies should encompass regulating blood-glucoselevelsvia diet, supplements, non-oral solutions for cachectic patientswholosetheir appetite, medication, exercise, gradual weight loss andstressreduction. Professional guidance and patient self-discipline arecrucialatthis point in the cancer process. The quest is not to eliminatesugarsorcarbohydrates from the diet but rather to control blood glucosewithin anarrow range to help starve the cancer and bolster immunefunction.The glycemic index is a measure of how a given food affectsblood-glucoselevels, with each food assigned a numbered rating. The lower therating,the slower the digestion and absorption process, which provides ahealthier, more gradual infusion of sugars into the bloodstream.Conversely, a high rating means blood-glucose levels areincreasedquickly,which stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin to dropblood-sugarlevels. This rapid fluctuation of blood-sugar levels is unhealthybecauseof the stress it places on the body (see glycemic index chart, p.166).Sugar in the Body and DietSugar is a generic term used to identify simple carbohydrates,whichincludes monosaccharides such as fructose, glucose and galactose;anddisaccharides such as maltose and sucrose (white table sugar).Think ofthese sugars as different-shaped bricks in a wall. When fructoseis theprimary monosaccharide brick in the wall, the glycemic indexregistersashealthier, since this simple sugar is slowly absorbed in the gut,thenconverted to glucose in the liver. This makes for "time-releasefoods,"which offer a more gradual rise and fall in blood-glucose levels.Ifglucose is the primary monosaccharide brick in the wall, theglycemicindexwill be higher and less healthy for the individual. As the brickwall istorn apart in digestion, the glucose is pumped across theintestinalwalldirectly into the bloodstream, rapidly raising blood-glucoselevels. Inother words, there is a "window of efficacy" for glucose in theblood:levels too low make one feel lethargic and can create clinicalhypoglycemia; levels too high start creating the rippling effectofdiabetic health problems.The 1997 American Diabetes Association blood-glucose standardsconsider126mg glucose/dL blood or greater to be diabetic; 111­125 mg/dL isimpairedglucose tolerance and less than 110 mg/dL is considered normal.Meanwhile,the Paleolithic diet of our ancestors, which consisted of leanmeats,vegetables and small amounts of whole grains, nuts, seeds andfruits, isestimated to have generated blood glucose levels between 60 and90mg/dL.7Obviously, today's high-sugar diets are having unhealthy effectsas farasblood-sugar is concerned. Excess blood glucose may initiate yeastovergrowth, blood vessel deterioration, heart disease and otherhealthconditions.8Understanding and using the glycemic index is an important aspectofdietmodification for cancer patients. However, there is also evidencethatsugars may feed cancer more efficiently than starches (comprisedof longchains of simple sugars), making the index slightly misleading. Astudyofrats fed diets with equal calories from sugars and starches, forexample,found the animals on the high-sugar diet developed more cases ofbreastcancer.9 The glycemic index is a useful tool in guiding thecancerpatienttoward a healthier diet, but it is not infallible. By using theglycemicindex alone, one could be led to thinking a cup of white sugar ishealthierthan a baked potato. This is because the glycemic index rating ofasugaryfood may be lower than that of a starchy food. To be safe, Irecommendlessfruit, more vegetables, and little to no refined sugars in thediet ofcancer patients.What the Literature SaysA mouse model of human breast cancer demonstrated that tumors aresensitiveto blood-glucose levels. Sixty-eight mice were injected with anaggressivestrain of breast cancer, then fed diets to induce either highblood-sugar(hyperglycemia), normoglycemia or low blood-sugar (hypoglycemia).Therewasa dose-dependent response in which the lower the blood glucose,thegreaterthe survival rate. After 70 days, 8 of 24 hyperglycemic micesurvivedcompared to 16 of 24 normoglycemic and 19 of 20 hypoglycemic.10Thissuggests that regulating sugar intake is key to slowing breasttumorgrowth(see chart, p. 164).In a human study, 10 healthy people were assessed for fastingblood-glucoselevels and the phagocytic index of neutrophils, which measuresimmune-cellability to envelop and destroy invaders such as cancer. Eating100 gcarbohydrates from glucose, sucrose, honey and orange juice allsignificantly decreased the capacity of neutrophils to engulfbacteria.Starch did not have this effect.11A four-year study at the National Institute of Public Health andEnvironmental Protection in the Netherlands compared 111 biliarytractcancer patients with 480 controls. Cancer risk associated withtheintakeof sugars, independent of other energy sources, more than doubledforthecancer patients.12 Furthermore, an epidemiological study in 21moderncountries that keep track of morbidity and mortality (Europe,NorthAmerica, Japan and others) revealed that sugar intake is a strongriskfactor that contributes to higher breast cancer rates,particularly inolder women.13Limiting sugar consumption may not be the only line of defense.In fact,aninteresting botanical extract from the avocado plant (Perseaamericana)isshowing promise as a new cancer adjunct. When a purified avocadoextractcalled mannoheptulose was added to a number of tumor cell linestestedinvitro by researchers in the Department of Biochemistry at OxfordUniversityin Britain, they found it inhibited tumor cell glucose uptake by25 to75percent, and it inhibited the enzyme glucokinase responsible forglycolysis. It also inhibited the growth rate of the culturedtumor celllines. The same researchers gave lab animals a 1.7 mg/g bodyweight doseofmannoheptulose for five days; it reduced tumors by 65 to 79percent.14Based on these studies, there is good reason to believe thatavocadoextract could help cancer patients by limiting glucose to thetumorcells.Since cancer cells derive most of their energy from anaerobicglycolysis,ph Gold, M.D., director of the Syracuse (N.Y.) CancerResearchInstitute and former U.S. Air Force research physician, surmisedthat achemical called hydrazine sulfate, used in rocket fuel, couldinhibittheexcessive gluconeogenesis (making sugar from amino acids) thatoccurs incachectic cancer patients. Gold's work demonstrated hydrazinesulfate'sability to slow and reverse cachexia in advanced cancer patients.Aplacebo-controlled trial followed 101 cancer patients takingeither 6 mghydrazine sulfate three times/day or placebo. After one month, 83percentof hydrazine sulfate patients increased their weight, compared to53percent on placebo.15 A similar study by the same principalresearchers,partly funded by the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Md.,followed65 patients. Those who took hydrazine sulfate and were in goodphysicalcondition before the study began lived an average of 17 weekslonger.16In 1990, I called the major cancer hospitals in the countrylooking forsome information on the crucial role of total parenteralnutrition (TPN)incancer patients. Some 40 percent of cancer patients die fromcachexia.5Yetmany starving cancer patients are offered either no nutritionalsupportorthe standard TPN solution developed for intensive care units. Thesolutionprovides 70 percent of the calories going into the bloodstream intheformof glucose. All too often, I believe, these high-glucosesolutions forcachectic cancer patients do not help as much as would TPNsolutionswithlower levels of glucose and higher levels of amino acids andlipids.Thesesolutions would allow the patient to build strength and would notfeedthetumor.17The medical establishment may be missing the connection betweensugarandits role in tumorigenesis. Consider the million-dollar positiveemissiontomography device, or PET scan, regarded as one of the ultimatecancer-detection tools. PET scans use radioactively labeledglucose todetect sugar-hungry tumor cells. PET scans are used to plot theprogressofcancer patients and to assess whether present protocols areeffective.18In Europe, the "sugar feeds cancer" concept is so well acceptedthatoncologists, or cancer doctors, use the Systemic Cancer MultistepTherapy(SCMT) protocol. Conceived by Manfred von Ardenne in Germany in1965,SCMTentails injecting patients with glucose to increase blood-glucoseconcentrations. This lowers pH values in cancer tissues vialactic acidformation. In turn, this intensifies the thermal sensitivity ofthemalignant tumors and also induces rapid growth of the cancer.Patientsarethen given whole-body hyperthermia (42 C core temperature) tofurtherstress the cancer cells, followed by chemotherapy or radiation.19SCMTwastested on 103 patients with metastasized cancer or recurrentprimarytumorsin a clinical phase-I study at the Von Ardenne Institute ofAppliedMedicalResearch in Dresden, Germany. Five-year survival rates inSCMT-treatedpatients increased by 25 to 50 percent, and the complete rate oftumorregression increased by 30 to 50 percent.20 The protocol inducesrapidgrowth of the cancer, then treats the tumor with toxic therapiesfor adramatic improvement in outcome.The irrefutable role of glucose in the growth and metastasis ofcancercells can enhance many therapies. Some of these include dietsdesignedwiththe glycemic index in mind to regulate increases in bloodglucose, henceselectively starving the cancer cells; low-glucose TPN solutions;avocadoextract to inhibit glucose uptake in cancer cells; hydrazinesulfate toinhibit gluconeogenesis in cancer cells; and SCMT.A female patient in her 50s, with lung cancer, came to ourclinic,havingbeen given a death sentence by her Florida oncologist. She wascooperativeand understood the connection between nutrition and cancer. Shechangedherdiet considerably, leaving out 90 percent of the sugar she usedto eat.Shefound that wheat bread and oat cereal now had their own wildsweetness,even without added sugar. With appropriately restrained medicaltherapy--including high-dose radiation targeted to tumor sitesandfractionated chemotherapy, a technique that distributes thenormal onelarge weekly chemo dose into a 60-hour infusion lasting days--agoodattitude and an optimal nutrition program, she beat her terminallungcancer. I saw her the other day, five years later and stilldisease-free,probably looking better than the doctor who told her there was nohope. Quillin, Ph.D., R.D., C.N.S., is director of nutritionforCancerTreatment Centers of America in Tulsa, Okla., and author ofBeatingCancerWith Nutrition (Nutrition Times Press, 1998).References1. Warburg O. On the origin of cancer cells. Science 1956Feb;123:309-14.2. Volk T, et al. pH in human tumor xenografts: effect ofintravenousadministration of glucose. Br J Cancer 1993 Sep;68(3):492-500.3.Digirolamo M. Diet and cancer: markers, prevention andtreatment. NewYork: Plenum Press; 1994. p 203.4. Leeper DB, et al. Effect of i.v. glucose versus combined i.v.plusoralglucose on human tumor extracellular pH for potentialsensitization tothermoradiotherapy. Int J Hyperthermia 1998 May-Jun;14(3):257-69.5. Rossi-Fanelli F, et al. Abnormal substrate metabolism andnutritionalstrategies in cancer management. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr1991Nov-Dec;15(6):680-3.6. Grant JP. Proper use and recognized role of TPN in the cancerpatient.Nutrition 1990 Jul-Aug;6(4 Suppl):6S-7S, 10S.7. Brand- J, et al. The glucose revolution. Newport (RI)MarloweandCo.; 1999.8. Mooradian AD, et al. Glucotoxicity: potential mechanisms. ClinGeriatrMed 1999 May;15(2):255.9. Hoehn, SK, et al. Complex versus simple carbohydrates andmammarytumorsin mice. Nutr Cancer 1979;1(3):27.10. Santisteban GA, et al. Glycemic modulation of tumor tolerancein amouse model of breast cancer. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1985 Nov15;132(3):1174-9.11. A, et al. Role of sugars in human neutrophilicphagocytosis.AmJ Clin Nutr 1973 Nov;26(11):1180-4.12. Moerman CJ, et al. Dietary sugar intake in the aetiology ofbiliarytract cancer. Int J Epidemiol 1993 Apr;22(2):207-14.13. Seeley S. Diet and breast cancer: the possible connectionwith sugarconsumption. Med Hypotheses 1983 Jul;11(3):319-27.14. Board M, et al. High Km glucose-phosphorylating (glucokinase)activities in a range of tumor cell lines and inhibition of ratesoftumorgrowth by the specific enzyme inhibitor mannoheptulose. CancerRes 1995Aug1;55(15):3278-85.15. Chlebowski RT, et al. Hydrazine sulfate in cancer patientswithweightloss. A placebo-controlled clinical experience. Cancer 1987 Feb1;59(3):406-10.16. Chlebowski RT, et al. Hydrazine sulfate influence onnutritionalstatusand survival in non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 1990Jan;8(1):9-15.17. American College of Physicians. Parenteral nutrition inpatientsreceiving cancer chemotherapy. Ann Intern Med 1989May;110(9):734.18. Gatenby RA. Potential role of FDG-PET imaging inunderstandingtumor-host interaction. J Nucl Med 1995 May;36(5):893-9.19. von Ardenne M. Principles and concept 1993 of the SystemicCancerMultistep Therapy (SCMT). Extreme whole-body hyperthermia usingtheinfrared-A technique IRATHERM 2000--selective thermosensitisationbyhyperglycemia--circulatory back-up by adapted hyperoxemia.StrahlentherOnkol 1994 Oct;170(10):581-9.20. Steinhausen D, et al. Evaluation of systemic tolerance of42.0degreesC infrared-A whole-body hyperthermia in combination withhyperglycemiaandhyperoxemia. A Phase-I study. Strahlenther Onkol 1994Jun;170(6):322-34.

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

<<For sugar, my take is that glucose is essential to life (brain

function for example), and cancer cells will get what they need when

they need it>>

That's technically true, unless you go on a water/tea fast (e.g., Breuss cancer

therapy). But there's a huge difference b/w cancer cells getting " what they

need " [to survive] vs. getting as much as they can use to multiply as fast as

possible.

> so it's a poor candidate for *strict* [sugar] restriction in diets to control

cancers.

May I ask what your evidence or reasoning is?

> I'm also not clear that excessive sweets will drive many cancers, unless the

cancers have glucose receptors.

Again, may I ask what your evidence or reasoning is? I've read over a hundred

times (including from the most knowledgeable people) that sugar greatly drives

cancer (see Boik's books for the research). Any sharp rise in blood sugar (which

results from eating a lof of ANY high-glycemic food on an empty stomach) greatly

promotes cancer growth (also because it causes a rise in insulin levels, which

allow cancer cells to absorb huge amounts of sugar).

> (Giving nutrients to cancer cells in a test tube does not prove much in my

mind.)

Not sure what you're getting at. Clinical experience (w/humans) has consistently

shown that sugar greatly fuels cancer. Can you name any other food ingredient

that's been shown (thru lab research or clinical experience) to fuel cancer

growth as much (or as consistently) as sugar.

> Response to high intake of sugars, however, can increase hormones to " deal "

with it -- insulin

Yes, the sharp rise in insulin levels " deals " with the sugar by making it very

easily absorbed by cells, particularly cancer cells (which have so many insulin

receptors; this factor is exploited in IPT therapy w/very good results).

> Food for thought. -Karl www.lymphomation.org

I noticed your lymphoma website. Are you aware that lymphoma patients are rather

consistently fast-oxidizing (parasympathetic-dominant) and thus particularly

need to minimize their intake of sugar, carbohydrates, & high-glycemic foods

(, , Kelley), particularly on an empty stomach.

Leonard

Guest guest

I have very advanced cancer and type II diabetes. Normally, I can keep my blood

sugar in check with oral meds and diet, but the docs have me on steroids which

sends my blood sugar skyrocketing.

They now have me checking my blood sugar 5 times a day and taking an insulin

shot on a sliding scale after each check. My question is does this high blood

sugar serve to feed my cancer? Or is it just false " artificial sugar " readings

induced by the prednisone?

Very scary stuff...but I have to have the steroids to reduce the inflamation in

my lungs, i.e. I have to BREATHE!

Any input or insight appreciated....Larry

Guest guest

Hi Larry,

I have a person on TBL-12 who also has diabetes, he is actually finding that it

also help to stablize his sugars as well. If you want to try a sample of TBL-12

for for your Cancer phone 1-800 359 7109 and tell them you have been speaking

with me and I offered the Trial Box. They will give you all the information you

need about tking the product etc.

Best regards,

Sam Grant

Larry <larry@...> wrote: I have very advanced cancer and type II

diabetes. Normally, I can keep my blood sugar in check with oral meds and diet,

but the docs have me on steroids which sends my blood sugar skyrocketing.

They now have me checking my blood sugar 5 times a day and taking an insulin

shot on a sliding scale after each check. My question is does this high blood

sugar serve to feed my cancer? Or is it just false " artificial sugar " readings

induced by the prednisone?

Very scary stuff...but I have to have the steroids to reduce the inflamation in

my lungs, i.e. I have to BREATHE!

Any input or insight appreciated....Larry

• 8 months later...
Guest guest

I've been told that when you eat sugar it depresses the immune system!!

Conniek nwnj

When our bodies & minds are out of balance...........we suffer!

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

My son reacts horribly to sugar, and I'm presuming mainly because it feeds

his yeast and contributes to his hypoglycemia. My son is seven, very high

functioning, and had his very first cookie just a few days ago. We just don't

have

sugary stuff in the house ever.

Debbie

Guest guest

My son also reacts to sugar. We minimize his sugar intake. We can always

tell when he has eaten too much sugar. We can't control it as much as we

would like as my son is 15 now. Yet, I don't have sugary stuff in the house.

He especially reacts to juice. I always know that he wants his " high " as we

call it when he asks for something sugary.

We just eliminate it as much as possible.

Lori

Re: [ ] Sugar

My son reacts horribly to sugar, and I'm presuming mainly because it feeds

his yeast and contributes to his hypoglycemia. My son is seven, very high

functioning, and had his very first cookie just a few days ago. We just

don't have

sugary stuff in the house ever.

Debbie

Guest guest

There's a book called " Sugar Blues " . Besdies yeast issues, I bet you can find

some info on the increasing rate of diabetes in children and some on sugar and

tooth decay, and sugar and hyperactivity.

S

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 01:23:54 -0000

Subject: [ ] Sugar

<html><body>

<tt>

Can anyone please give me information in easy language about<BR>

sugar and how it harms our health especially in case of a ASD kid.<BR>

I need to convince my DH to reduce the sugar intake of our child.<BR>

<BR>

Thanks<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

</tt>

<br><br>

<tt>

=======================================================<BR>

Guest guest

Sugar also suppresses the immune system.

> Can anyone please give me information in easy language about

> sugar and how it harms our health especially in case of a ASD kid.

> I need to convince my DH to reduce the sugar intake of our child.

>

> Thanks

>

• 8 months later...

, cancer thrives on sugar so avoid it altogether. That includes sugar

substitutes and also other forms of sugar such as honey, maple syrup etc but

especially white sugar.

I was wondering. Does eating or drinking sugar cause pain anywhere in

the body for anyone here such as the tumor sites? Thanks ,

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

> > In a message dated 3/25/05 6:18:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,

> > writes:

> > I,too, have been trying to give up sugar for about 3 years.

I

> > did for awhile and got so slim! Then stress, etc, I got back on

> it

> > and gained almost 20 lbs. Hopefully, I can stick with it this

> time.

> > It really is a poison. Also, it's in EVERYTHING. And if one

more

> > person says, oh just do it in moderation. Yeah, right.

> > ================

> > HELLO............ I gave up sugar years ago also, as far as

ADDING

> sugar or

> > eating SUGARY stuff like candy etc..... I do not go nuts

> excluding everything

> > that has some sugar as an ingredient, ANYWAY it was one of the

> best things I

> > did and once u stop using it u dont want it anymore and u wont

> miss it, I am

> > actually turned off to SWEETS now and very rarely sample

anything

> like that....

> > actually, I crave healthy stuff now, and try to get all natural,

> fresh

> > unprocessed stuff as much as possible. GOOD LUCK....... c in vt

> >===============================

>

> Hey C,

> Well it's been a week now with no sweets, and the cravings are

> gone! I'm staying with my mom now who loves sweets and has them

all

> over the house. Haven't touched them. Yeah! Hope it lasts..

> But it's really true, the cravings do go away and pretty quickly.

>

> Seashell

Good for you. Brown rice syrup and fructose make really good sugar

substitutes, btw.

• 3 years later...
Guest guest

Hello all,

I know i sounded preachy about the sugar thing, but i want to let

everyone know i'm just as addicted to sugar as the rest of the planet

i'm not into making people feel depressed like they cant enjoy

themselves. sugar tastes good, and gives you a good feeling. it's

just that i'm paranoid right now about letting my inner workings get

out of whack.

124 Ways Sugar Can Ruin Your Health

Contributed by Appleton, Ph.D., www.nancyappleton.com

Author of the book " Lick The Sugar Habit "

http://www.mercola.com/fcgi/pf/article/sugar/dangers_of_sugar.htm

In addition to throwing off the body's homeostasis (disturbing its

normal condition or function), excess sugar may result in a number of

other significant consequences. The following is a listing of some of

sugar's metabolic consequences from a variety of medical journals and

other scientific publications.

Sugar can suppress your immune system

Sugar upsets the mineral relationships in your body

Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating,

and crankiness in children

Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides

Sugar contributes to the reduction in defenses against bacterial

infection (infectious diseases)

Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function, the more

sugar you eat the more elasticity and function you lose

Sugar reduces high density lipoproteins

Sugar leads to chromium deficiency

Sugar leads to cancer of the breast, ovaries, prostrate, and rectum

Sugar can increase fasting levels of glucose

Sugar causes copper deficiency

Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium

Sugar can weaken your eyesight

Sugar raises the level of a neurotransmitters: dopamine, serotonin,

and norepinephrine

Sugar can cause hypoglycemia

Sugar can produce an acidic digestive tract

Sugar can cause a rapid rise of adrenaline levels in children

Sugar malabsorption is frequent in patients with functional bowel

disease

Sugar can cause premature aging

Sugar can lead to alcoholism

Sugar can cause tooth decay

Sugar contributes to obesity

High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's disease, and

ulcerative colitis

Sugar can cause changes frequently found in those with gastric or

duodenal ulcers

Sugar can cause arthritis

Sugar can cause asthma

Sugar greatly assists the uncontrolled growth of Candida Albicans

(yeast infections)

Sugar can cause gallstones

Sugar can cause heart disease

Sugar can cause appendicitis

Sugar can cause multiple sclerosis

Sugar can cause hemorrhoids

Sugar can cause varicose veins

Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral

contraceptive users

Sugar can lead to periodontal disease

Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis

Sugar contributes to saliva acidity

Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity

Sugar can lower the amount of Vitamin E in the blood

Sugar can decrease growth hormone

Sugar can increase total cholesterol

Sugar can increase your systolic blood pressure

Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children

High sugar intake increases advanced glycation end products (AGEs)

(Sugar bound non- enzymatically to protein)

Sugar can interfere with the absorption of protein

Sugar causes food allergies

Sugar can contribute to diabetes

Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy

Sugar can contribute to eczema in children

Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease

Sugar can impair the structure of DNA

Sugar can change the structure of protein

Sugar can make your skin age by changing the structure of your

collagen

Sugar can cause cataracts

Sugar can cause emphysema

Sugar can cause atherosclerosis

Sugar can promote an elevation of low density lipoproteins (LDL)

High sugar intake can impair the physiological homeostasis of many

systems in the body

Sugar lowers your enzymes ability to function properly

Sugar intake is higher in people with Parkinson's disease

Sugar can cause a permanent altering in the way the proteins act in

your body

Sugar can increase the size of the liver by making the liver cells

divide

Sugar can increase the amount of liver fat

Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in

your kidney

Sugar can damage your pancreas

Sugar can increase your body's fluid retention

Sugar is enemy #1 of a good bowel movement

Sugar can cause myopia (nearsightedness)

Sugar can compromise the lining of your capillaries

Sugar can make your tendons more brittle

Sugar can cause headaches, including migraine

Sugar plays a role in pancreatic cancer in women

Sugar can adversely affect school children's grades and cause

learning disorders

Sugar can cause an increase in delta, alpha, and theta brain waves

Sugar can cause depression

Sugar increases the risk of gastric cancer

Sugar and cause dyspepsia (indigestion)

Sugar can increase your risk of getting gout

Sugar can increase the levels of glucose in an oral glucose

tolerance test over the ingestion of complex carbohydrates

Sugar can increase your insulin response if you eat high-sugar diets

compared to low sugar diets

High refined sugar diet reduces learning capacity

Sugar can cause less effective functioning of two blood proteins,

albumin, and lipoproteins, which may reduce the body's ability to

handle fat and cholesterol

Sugar can contribute to Alzheimer's disease

Sugar can cause platelet adhesiveness

Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance; some hormones become underactive

and others become overactive

Sugar can lead to the formation of kidney stones

Sugar can lead to the hypothalamus to become highly sensitive to a

large variety of stimuli

Sugar can lead to dizziness

Diets high in sugar can cause free radicals and oxidative stress

High sucrose diets of subjects with peripheral vascular disease

significantly increases platelet adhesion

High sugar diet can lead to biliary tract cancer

Sugar feeds cancer

High sugar consumption of pregnant adolescents is associated with a

twofold increased risk for delivering a small-for-gestational-age

(SGA) infant

High sugar consumption can lead to substantial decrease in gestation

duration among adolescents

Sugar slows food's travel time through the gastrointestinal tract

Sugar increases the concentration of bile acids in stools and

bacterial enzymes in the colon

Sugar increases estradiol (the most potent form of naturally

occurring estrogen) in men

Sugar combines and destroys phosphatase, an enzyme, which makes the

process of digestion more difficult

Sugar can be a risk factor of gallbladder cancer

Sugar is an addictive substance

Sugar can be intoxicating, similar to alcohol

Sugar can exacerbate PMS

Sugar given to premature babies can affect the amount of carbon

dioxide they produce

Decrease in sugar intake can increase emotional stability

Your body changes sugar into 2 to 5 times more fat in the

bloodstream than it does starch

The rapid absorption of sugar promotes excessive food intake in

obese subjects

Sugar can worsen the symptoms of children with attention deficit

hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)

Sugar adversely affects urinary electrolyte composition

Sugar can slow down the ability of your adrenal glands to function

Sugar has the potential of inducing abnormal metabolic processes in

a normal healthy individual and to promote chronic degenerative

diseases

IVs (intravenous feedings) of sugar water can cut off oxygen to the

brain

High sucrose intake could be an important risk factor in lung cancer

Sugar increases the risk of polio

High sugar intake can cause epileptic seizures

Sugar causes high blood pressure in obese people

In Intensive Care Units: Limiting sugar saves lives

Sugar may induce cell death

Sugar may impair the physiological homeostasis of many systems in

living organisms

In juvenile rehabilitation camps, when children were put on a low

sugar diet, there was a 44 percent drop in antisocial behavior

Sugar can cause gastric cancer

Sugar dehydrates newborns

Sugar can cause gum disease

Sugar increases the estradiol in young men

Sugar can cause low birth weight babies

• 1 year later...

I was told by the nurse practitioner at my LLMDs that sugar feeds bacteria and

that I shouldn't have any kind, not even agave! Fruit in season and high in

fiber is fine. I avoid bananas and other tropical fruits. I do buy organic

frozen berries (very nutritious) to add to my cereal.

Re: [ ] Sugar

Definitely.

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 11:22 AM, C <cbrtomlinson@...> wrote:

>

>

> Does sugar make you more symptomatic?

>

>

>

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

Naturally occurring sugar found in fruits and vegetables is fine. I realize

it's very limiting to have to read labels on every food product. I'm tired of

eating oatmeal, so I finally found a granola (organic made in Germany) with no

sugar, just dried fruit. I had been drinking 100% orange juice, when it came up

during LLMD visit, I was asked to not drink any fruit juice, even without added

sweetener. The natural sugars become too concentrated in juice form. I think

in my case, sticking to their advice has helped keep my digestive system in good

shape despite 9 months of antibiotics. Our bodies were not designed to

metabolize concentrated forms of sugar. For most of human history the only

sugars in the diet were wild fruits, berries and the occasional raw honey from

raiding a wild beehive.

[ ] Re: raw garlic

>

> Honey is sugar (though natural) and feeds bacteria. I was warned by my LLMD

not to eat any form of added sugar, including honey or agave.

true, but there is sugar in almost anything you eat. And some types of honey are

immune stimulating (I know about the Mahuka honey from New Zealand, but the same

probably goes for many other types). So I guess the benefits may outweigh the

risks, as we are talking about relatively small portions.

Guest guest

i make my own organic granola, i got hte recipe on food network

1/2 cup each of almonds, walnuts, and pecans, chopped

add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, pinch of salt, 2-3 cups oats.(i use 2, i like

more nuts) and maple syrup. it calls for 1/2 cup which coats and binds the

ingredients, and of course sweetens -- i don't know if that would be too

much since it is a sugar you could use less

lightly coated cookie sheet, spread out mixture and bake 20-25 minutes on

350 degrees.

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 8:36 AM, <KTOvrutsky@...> wrote:

>

>

>

> Naturally occurring sugar found in fruits and vegetables is fine. I realize

> it's very limiting to have to read labels on every food product. I'm tired

> of eating oatmeal, so I finally found a granola (organic made in Germany)

> with no sugar, just dried fruit. I had been drinking 100% orange juice, when

> it came up during LLMD visit, I was asked to not drink any fruit juice, even

> without added sweetener. The natural sugars become too concentrated in juice

> form. I think in my case, sticking to their advice has helped keep my

> digestive system in good shape despite 9 months of antibiotics. Our bodies

> were not designed to metabolize concentrated forms of sugar. For most of

> human history the only sugars in the diet were wild fruits, berries and the

> occasional raw honey from raiding a wild beehive.

>

> [ ] Re: raw garlic

>

>

> >

> > Honey is sugar (though natural) and feeds bacteria. I was warned by my

> LLMD not to eat any form of added sugar, including honey or agave.

>

> true, but there is sugar in almost anything you eat. And some types of

> honey are immune stimulating (I know about the Mahuka honey from New

> Zealand, but the same probably goes for many other types). So I guess the

> benefits may outweigh the risks, as we are talking about relatively small

> portions.

>

>

Guest guest

It would be helpful, and uplifting, to get a really definitive handle on this

issue. We have been avoiding sugar like the plague, but as was pointed out, it

is almost impossible, especially if you value fruits and vegetables in your

diet. The medicinal aspects of honey are also of interest, especially the

honey(manuka?) from New Zealand. As usual, there are too many conflicting

opinons out there, as well as too little nutritional expertise as regards Lyme

and diet.

In the meantime, the default is to just avoid sugar at all costs.

Once again, the anti-lymers have stiffled any real research from being done on

Lyme, and now with the " health care providers " (read: insurance companies)

circling the wagons, it is unlikely we will pass out of the dark ages anytime

soon ;-(

Steve

Subject: Re: [ ] Re:sugar

Date: Friday, April 16, 2010, 5:36 AM

Naturally occurring sugar found in fruits and vegetables is fine. I realize

it's very limiting to have to read labels on every food product. I'm tired of

eating oatmeal, so I finally found a granola (organic made in Germany) with no

sugar, just dried fruit. I had been drinking 100% orange juice, when it came up

during LLMD visit, I was asked to not drink any fruit juice, even without added

sweetener. The natural sugars become too concentrated in juice form. I think

in my case, sticking to their advice has helped keep my digestive system in good

shape despite 9 months of antibiotics. Our bodies were not designed to

metabolize concentrated forms of sugar. For most of human history the only

sugars in the diet were wild fruits, berries and the occasional raw honey from

raiding a wild beehive.

[ ] Re: raw garlic

>

> Honey is sugar (though natural) and feeds bacteria. I was warned by my LLMD

not to eat any form of added sugar, including honey or agave.

true, but there is sugar in almost anything you eat. And some types of honey are

immune stimulating (I know about the Mahuka honey from New Zealand, but the same

probably goes for many other types). So I guess the benefits may outweigh the

risks, as we are talking about relatively small portions.

Guest guest

Does anyone have an opinion on xylitol?

I have used it and find it to be a good substitute for sugar but haven't heard

much from others that have used it.

From the info I have read it is supposed to be antibacterial.

• 7 months later...

I'd like to add a comment regarding sugar from fruit. This was a huge

concern for me since I eat a high raw diet with large amounts of fruit

throughout the day. I emailed Buhner regarding this and he said, white

sugars are the problem, not fruit sugars. He's not an LLMD and I haven't

seen him discuss diet in his book so take it for what it's worth.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Deb57 <ds@...> wrote:

>

>

> I personally don't know the mechanism, but nearly all LLMDs advise avoiding

> sugar (fruit, alcohol, refined/white foods, etc.).

>

>

I posted a pdf file about diet that someone sent me from Envita, a clinic down

in Arizona. There is some info about fruits and juices that are OK and ones to

avoid.

deb

>

> >

> >

> > I personally don't know the mechanism, but nearly all LLMDs advise avoiding

> > sugar (fruit, alcohol, refined/white foods, etc.).

> >

> >

>

>

>