RemedySpot.com

VSL3 probiotics

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi All,

Thinking of adding this in our list. Does anyone have good or bad experience with this?.please share and which form is better sachets or capsule? if sachets, can one sachet be given once or can it be given half in the morning and half in the evening?. Please advice.

Many thanks,

Cindy.

Due to the cost issues I have not used it but I am using Benebiotics for my son. He loves Kefir (from Costco) so I mix a capsule for a cup of Kefir and it goes pretty well with him.I think that the granules are somehow coated so mixing with a spoon or fork is little tricky, sticks to it, so I use coffee whisker (from Ikea) to mix.

ANother point is, VSL#3 count is too high. Not too sure if we should expose our kids to such high count, a step by step upping dose is a good idea. This probiotic is favorite of IBS sufferers, so think about the counts as well.

Noel

Hi All,

Thinking of adding this in our list. Does anyone have good or bad experience with this?.please share and which form is better sachets or capsule? if sachets, can one sachet be given once or can it be given half in the morning and half in the evening?. Please advice.

Many thanks,

Cindy.

Hi Cindy,

I am new to the group, but not biomed. We have been using VSL # 3 and have seen

gains with it. We use two packets, we mix it into a fruit shake and give it

once a day, both packets at the same time. You can start out smaller and work

up. You may see die off, we did see some. Do not give with an enzyme as this

will eat the VSL (got this from Dr. Mumper M.D., Dr. Daivd Berger

M.D., etc.). You can ask your doctor of a prescription, and if he/she gives it

to you and your insurance covers it, it will be a lot cheaper. OTC it's $120

here a box, and we go through 2 a month. We use Medco, and for a five box of

double strength -- the equivalent of 10 boxes OTC from Medco for $40 with our

plan vs $1,400 for same amount in store.

Good luck,

Amy

>

> Hi All,

>

> Thinking of adding this in our list. Does anyone have good or bad experience

with this?.please share and which form is better sachets or capsule? if sachets,

can one sachet be given once or can it be given half in the morning and half in

the evening?. Please advice.

>

> Many thanks,

> Cindy.

>

Hi Cindy,We also use VSL#3 and have had good success with it. We've been using the double strength packages so that it will be covered by insurance. We started low (about 1/8 tsp and moved up to 1tsp in am and another tsp in the pm). The double strength has about 2-2.5 tsps in it and 900ish billion CFUs. I found that as we moved up and added the second dose it calmed my son down. We started using this while taking flagyl so that was obviously killing everything in his gut and this helped to repopulate. I have heard some negatives lately about VSL#3 and the strep strain so I am concerned about this but have only seen positives as far as i can tell. I think it helps keep his clostridia down too which is a bigger problem for us then strep

behaviors. I do have concerns about my son's strep/PANDAS like symptoms but i am pretty certain he has had these episodes before and since starting and I haven't noticed a link between the two. I also asked one of our more experienced DAN about the strep strain in VSL and her opinion was that it wasnt related....not sure about this.... Hope it works for you! To: mb12valtrex Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 1:28 PM Subject: Re: VSL3 probiotics

Hi Cindy,

I am new to the group, but not biomed. We have been using VSL # 3 and have seen gains with it. We use two packets, we mix it into a fruit shake and give it once a day, both packets at the same time. You can start out smaller and work up. You may see die off, we did see some. Do not give with an enzyme as this will eat the VSL (got this from Dr. Mumper M.D., Dr. Daivd Berger M.D., etc.). You can ask your doctor of a prescription, and if he/she gives it to you and your insurance covers it, it will be a lot cheaper. OTC it's $120 here a box, and we go through 2 a month. We use Medco, and for a five box of double strength -- the equivalent of 10 boxes OTC from Medco for $40 with our plan vs $1,400 for same amount in store.

Good luck,

Amy

>

> Hi All,

>

> Thinking of adding this in our list. Does anyone have good or bad experience with this?.please share and which form is better sachets or capsule? if sachets, can one sachet be given once or can it be given half in the morning and half in the evening?. Please advice.

>

> Many thanks,

> Cindy.

>

I recently decided to take my son off VSL #3. His anti-strepsolin titer was high and never has been in the past. His Dnase B was also high in recent labs. He has never had PANDAS before, however, I am pretty sure he presently does. His behavior is suggestive of strep as well. We started VSL #3 three months ago and now we have strep. Personally, I would not recommend it, due to the new problem it created for us.

Kerri

To: "mb12valtrex " <mb12valtrex > Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 9:26 PMSubject: Re: Re: VSL3 probiotics

Hi Cindy,

We also use VSL#3 and have had good success with it. We've been using the double strength packages so that it will be covered by insurance. We started low (about 1/8 tsp and moved up to 1tsp in am and another tsp in the pm). The double strength has about 2-2.5 tsps in it and 900ish billion CFUs. I found that as we moved up and added the second dose it calmed my son down. We started using this while taking flagyl so that was obviously killing everything in his gut and this helped to repopulate. I have heard some negatives lately about VSL#3 and the strep strain so I am concerned about this but have only seen positives as far as i can tell. I think it helps keep his clostridia down too which is a bigger problem for us then strep behaviors. I do have concerns about my son's strep/PANDAS like symptoms but i am pretty certain he has had these episodes before and since starting and I haven't noticed a

link between the two. I also asked one of our more experienced DAN about the strep strain in VSL and her opinion was that it wasnt related....not sure about this....

Hope it works for you!

To: mb12valtrex Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 1:28 PMSubject: Re: VSL3 probiotics

Hi Cindy, I am new to the group, but not biomed. We have been using VSL # 3 and have seen gains with it. We use two packets, we mix it into a fruit shake and give it once a day, both packets at the same time. You can start out smaller and work up. You may see die off, we did see some. Do not give with an enzyme as this will eat the VSL (got this from Dr. Mumper M.D., Dr. Daivd Berger M.D., etc.). You can ask your doctor of a prescription, and if he/she gives it to you and your insurance covers it, it will be a lot cheaper. OTC it's $120 here a box, and we go through 2 a month. We use Medco, and for a five box of double strength -- the equivalent of 10 boxes OTC from Medco for $40 with our plan vs $1,400 for same amount in store.Good luck,Amy >> Hi All,> > Thinking of adding this in our list. Does anyone have good or bad experience with this?.please share and which form is better sachets or capsule? if sachets, can one sachet be given once or can it be given half in the morning and half in the evening?. Please advice.> > Many thanks,> Cindy.>

Kerri,I hate to hear that about your son.I have been on this list for 3 years and have seen several parents have the same experience.I take VSL for myself and it is so powerful I only need to take it about every 3rd day.I cant imagine a small child getting 2 packs.I tried 2 packs once and I was in terrible pain.A couple of years ago I tried a fourth of a pack with my daughter and she broke out in a strep rash and my son developed pandas like behaviors so we stopped it.They only took it for about a month-thats how powerful it is.There are so many good probiotics that are strep free i wouldnt risk it.A few weeks ago Lori posted about a probiotic New Beginnings is offering that is strep free.There is also Custom Probiotics,Klaire Therbiotic Detox and Mindlinx that are strep

free.HTH,Melinda

To: "mb12valtrex " <mb12valtrex > Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:03 AMSubject: Re: Re: VSL3 probiotics

I recently decided to take my son off VSL #3. His anti-strepsolin titer was high and never has been in the past. His Dnase B was also high in recent labs. He has never had PANDAS before, however, I am pretty sure he presently does. His behavior is suggestive of strep as well. We started VSL #3 three months ago and now we have strep. Personally, I would not recommend it, due to the new problem it created for us.

Kerri

To: "mb12valtrex " <mb12valtrex > Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 9:26 PMSubject: Re: Re: VSL3 probiotics

Hi Cindy,

We also use VSL#3 and have had good success with it. We've been using the double strength packages so that it will be covered by insurance. We started low (about 1/8 tsp and moved up to 1tsp in am and another tsp in the pm). The double strength has about 2-2.5 tsps in it and 900ish billion CFUs. I found that as we moved up and added the second dose it calmed my son down. We started using this while taking flagyl so that was obviously killing everything in his gut and this helped to repopulate. I have heard some negatives lately about VSL#3 and the strep strain so I am concerned about this but have only seen positives as far as i can tell. I think it helps keep his clostridia down too which is a bigger problem for us then strep behaviors. I do have concerns about my son's strep/PANDAS like symptoms but i am pretty certain he has had these episodes before and since starting and I haven't noticed a

link between the two. I also asked one of our more experienced DAN about the strep strain in VSL and her opinion was that it wasnt related....not sure about this....

Hope it works for you!

To: mb12valtrex Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 1:28 PMSubject: Re: VSL3 probiotics

Hi Cindy, I am new to the group, but not biomed. We have been using VSL # 3 and have seen gains with it. We use two packets, we mix it into a fruit shake and give it once a day, both packets at the same time. You can start out smaller and work up. You may see die off, we did see some. Do not give with an enzyme as this will eat the VSL (got this from Dr. Mumper M.D., Dr. Daivd Berger M.D., etc.). You can ask your doctor of a prescription, and if he/she gives it to you and your insurance covers it, it will be a lot cheaper. OTC it's $120 here a box, and we go through 2 a month. We use Medco, and for a five box of double strength -- the equivalent of 10 boxes OTC from Medco for $40 with our plan vs $1,400 for same amount in store.Good luck,Amy >> Hi All,> > Thinking of adding this in our list. Does anyone have good or bad experience with this?.please share and which form is better sachets or capsule? if sachets, can one sachet be given once or can it be given half in the morning and half in the evening?. Please advice.> > Many thanks,> Cindy.>

Many thanks for all your reply. This helped us in deciding which one to go for.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

Cindy.

To: "mb12valtrex " <mb12valtrex > Sent: Tuesday, 14 February 2012, 6:17Subject: Re: Re: VSL3 probiotics

Kerri,I hate to hear that about your son.I have been on this list for 3 years and have seen several parents have the same experience.I take VSL for myself and it is so powerful I only need to take it about every 3rd day.I cant imagine a small child getting 2 packs.I tried 2 packs once and I was in terrible pain.A couple of years ago I tried a fourth of a pack with my daughter and she broke out in a strep rash and my son developed pandas like behaviors so we stopped it.They only took it for about a month-thats how powerful it is.There are so many good probiotics that are strep free i wouldnt risk it.A few weeks ago Lori posted about a probiotic New Beginnings is offering that is strep free.There is also Custom Probiotics,Klaire Therbiotic Detox and Mindlinx that are strep free.HTH,Melinda

To: "mb12valtrex " <mb12valtrex > Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:03 AMSubject: Re: Re: VSL3 probiotics

Kerri

Hi Cindy,

Hope it works for you!

Melinda,

My son did not take two packs. Only 1/4 tsp once daily. His DAN wanted to eventually work him up to one pack. You gave me a great idea though. I now plan on starting on the remaining VSL 3 to see how it works for me. Even though our kids are more sensitive than we, I think it is a good idea to try what they are doing to see how it makes us feel. I started him back on the Metagenics Ultra Flora Plus that he took in the past. Thank you for your great advice!

Kerri

To: "mb12valtrex " <mb12valtrex > Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:17 AMSubject: Re: Re: VSL3 probiotics

Kerri,I hate to hear that about your son.I have been on this list for 3 years and have seen several parents have the same experience.I take VSL for myself and it is so powerful I only need to take it about every 3rd day.I cant imagine a small child getting 2 packs.I tried 2 packs once and I was in terrible pain.A couple of years ago I tried a fourth of a pack with my daughter and she broke out in a strep rash and my son developed pandas like behaviors so we stopped it.They only took it for about a month-thats how powerful it is.There are so many good probiotics that are strep free i wouldnt risk it.A few weeks ago Lori posted about a probiotic New Beginnings is offering that is strep free.There is also Custom Probiotics,Klaire Therbiotic Detox and Mindlinx that are strep free.HTH,Melinda

Kerri

Hi Cindy,

Hope it works for you!

Oh Kerri,i know your son didnt take that much but someone earlier in the thread said their child did.i was addressing the entire thread in my reply as well as you in the beginning.Sorry for not being clear.But anyway,glad you found another option.Melinda

To: "mb12valtrex " <mb12valtrex > Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:48 PMSubject: Re: Re: VSL3 probiotics

Melinda,

My son did not take two packs. Only 1/4 tsp once daily. His DAN wanted to eventually work him up to one pack. You gave me a great idea though. I now plan on starting on the remaining VSL 3 to see how it works for me. Even though our kids are more sensitive than we, I think it is a good idea to try what they are doing to see how it makes us feel. I started him back on the Metagenics Ultra Flora Plus that he took in the past. Thank you for your great advice!

Kerri

To: "mb12valtrex " <mb12valtrex > Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:17 AMSubject: Re: Re: VSL3 probiotics

Kerri

Hi Cindy,

Hope it works for you!

We are gonna try the VSL#3 and it's my intention to try it on all of us... if my kids cannot use it, thenI will. If none of us can tolerate, I will pass it on to my folks or brother... we all have issues of some sort LOL

Melinda,

My son did not take two packs.  Only 1/4 tsp once daily.  His DAN wanted to eventually work him up to one pack.  You gave me a great idea though.  I now plan on starting on the remaining VSL 3  to see how it works for me.  Even though our kids are more sensitive than we, I think it is a good idea to try what they are doing to see how it makes us feel.  I started him back on the Metagenics Ultra Flora Plus that he took in the past.  Thank you for your great advice!

Kerri-- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find info about Vitamins and Minerals:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543521682565--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click to find links to info about the Low Oxalate Diet :http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543495292565------

Toni------Mind like a steel trap...Rusty and illegal in 37 states.

I would not give it to an ASD child. If they develop PANDAS you cannot undo

that and will regret it forever.

>

> > **

> >

> >

> > Melinda,

> > My son did not take two packs. Only 1/4 tsp once daily. His DAN wanted

> > to eventually work him up to one pack. You gave me a great idea though. I

> > now plan on starting on the remaining VSL 3 to see how it works for me.

> > Even though our kids are more sensitive than we, I think it is a good idea

> > to try what they are doing to see how it makes us feel. I started him back

> > on the Metagenics Ultra Flora Plus that he took in the past. Thank you for

> > your great advice!

> > Kerri

> >

> --

>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------\

------------

> Click to find info about Vitamins and Minerals:

> http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543521682565

>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------\

------------

> Click to find links to info about the Low Oxalate Diet :

> http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543495292565

> ------

> Toni

>

> ------

> Mind like a steel trap...

> Rusty and illegal in 37 states.

>

Thanks Caryn.

I would not give it to an ASD child. If they develop PANDAS you cannot undo that and will regret it forever.

>

> > **

> >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find info about Vitamins and Minerals:http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543521682565

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find links to info about the Low Oxalate Diet :http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543495292565

------Toni------Mind like a steel trap...Rusty and illegal in 37 states.

FWIW my kids have had s. thermophilus strains of probiotics since they were really young (babies)???

Thanks Caryn.

I would not give it to an ASD child. If they develop PANDAS you cannot undo that and will regret it forever.

>

> > **

> >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find info about Vitamins and Minerals:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543521682565

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find links to info about the Low Oxalate Diet :http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543495292565

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find info about Vitamins and Minerals:http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543521682565

Hey all,Does anyone know where/how we can find out for sure the pandas and VSL link/s. Therm link? My kids seem to do really well on it but they also have clostridia issues and I am pretty sure irritable bowel, colitis etc....i recently tried going down on it to see how it goes and my son's stool worsened...tried CP multistrain and it didn't work as well....so for whatever reason, I think this is a good one for us (they tend to have very obvious and bad reactions when things are not being tolerated but I am still open for further investigation)....-- Sent from my Palm Pre

FWIW my kids have had s. thermophilus strains of probiotics since they were really young (babies)???

Thanks Caryn.

>

> > **

> >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find info about Vitamins and Minerals:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543521682565

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Click to find info about Vitamins and Minerals:http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543521682565

Caryn,

I agree with you! I do not think he should have been given VSL #3 due to the strep. However, if the immune system is healed, PANDAS is not only treatable, it can be irradicated. We are working on the anti-viral aspect now and will check the Anti-strepsolin and DNASE antibodies again soon to see if they have gone down. If not, we will then go after the strep. Sometimes the antibodies mean the child has come in contact with strep and still has the antibodies present. I am hoping for that conclusion but since the only thing we changed was the probiotics, I am prepared that the VSL is the cause.

Kerri

To: mb12valtrex Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:58 AMSubject: Re: VSL3 probiotics

I would not give it to an ASD child. If they develop PANDAS you cannot undo that and will regret it forever.> > > **> >> >> > Melinda,> > My son did not take two packs. Only 1/4 tsp once daily. His DAN wanted> > to eventually work him up to one pack. You gave me a great idea though. I> > now plan on

starting on the remaining VSL 3 to see how it works for me.> > Even though our kids are more sensitive than we, I think it is a good idea> > to try what they are doing to see how it makes us feel. I started him back> > on the Metagenics Ultra Flora Plus that he took in the past. Thank you for> > your great advice!> > Kerri> >> -- > ----------------------------------------------------------> Click to find info about Vitamins and Minerals:> http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543521682565> ----------------------------------------------------------> Click to find links to info about the Low Oxalate Diet :> http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150543495292565> ------> Toni> > ------> Mind like a steel trap...> Rusty and illegal in 37

states.>

Melinda,

I get it. I just use my instinct most of the time. It is really my fault for not checking the strains of bacteria on the box. I was trusting that our DAN was making the right decision. Mommies are usually the best decision makers. Glad we were not on it for long.

Kerri

To: "mb12valtrex " <mb12valtrex > Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:45 AMSubject: Re: Re: VSL3 probiotics

Oh Kerri,i know your son didnt take that much but someone earlier in the thread said their child did.i was addressing the entire thread in my reply as well as you in the beginning.Sorry for not being clear.But anyway,glad you found another option.Melinda

To: "mb12valtrex " <mb12valtrex > Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:48 PMSubject: Re: Re: VSL3 probiotics

Melinda,

Kerri

Kerri

Hi Cindy,

Hope it works for you!