RemedySpot.com

Re: What are our options when there are no Autism programs where we live???

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Do you have any sort of Advocacy type center in the area, even if it is in the next major city in your state? Here in upstate New York, we have The Advocacy Center http://www.advocacycenter.com/. If you can find something similar, that may help. You may be able to call them and see what resources they can recommend to you.

Cristine

What are our options when there are no Autism programs where we live???

Hello Everyone,My son (who is 7 and has Autism) and I moved to a very rural area to be closer to family. There are no Autism programs offered at the local schools only a generalized special ed class.Because of this I have to homeschool him right now because there are no options and I am very frustrated. Im a single parent so trying to work from home and teach my son without any help at all is really tough. My son attended a different school last year and was in a special designated autism program and has an IEP in place stating he needs an Autism program not just generalized special ed. Are there options out there if the local schools dont provide any type of program? I had heard from someone that its the schools responsibility to be able to provide adequate education for every child but if they cant ...? What then?Any input is much appreciated!!Thanks,

Guest guest

Forgot to add... you may want to post your questions on the Autism Research Institute yahoo group.

Cristine

What are our options when there are no Autism programs where we live???

Hello Everyone,My son (who is 7 and has Autism) and I moved to a very rural area to be closer to family. There are no Autism programs offered at the local schools only a generalized special ed class.Because of this I have to homeschool him right now because there are no options and I am very frustrated. Im a single parent so trying to work from home and teach my son without any help at all is really tough. My son attended a different school last year and was in a special designated autism program and has an IEP in place stating he needs an Autism program not just generalized special ed. Are there options out there if the local schools dont provide any type of program? I had heard from someone that its the schools responsibility to be able to provide adequate education for every child but if they cant ...? What then?Any input is much appreciated!!Thanks,

Guest guest

Im not sure honestly. Im in VA so the closest city would be Richmond. I will

check into this though. Thank you !!

>

> ,

> Do you have any sort of Advocacy type center in the area, even if it is in the

next major city in your state? Here in upstate New York, we have The Advocacy

Center http://www.advocacycenter.com/. If you can find something similar, that

may help. You may be able to call them and see what resources they can recommend

to you.

>

> Cristine

>

> What are our options when there are no Autism

programs where we live???

>

>

>

> Hello Everyone,

>

> My son (who is 7 and has Autism) and I moved to a very rural area to be

closer to family. There are no Autism programs offered at the local schools only

a generalized special ed class.Because of this I have to homeschool him right

now because there are no options and I am very frustrated. Im a single parent so

trying to work from home and teach my son without any help at all is really

tough. My son attended a different school last year and was in a special

designated autism program and has an IEP in place stating he needs an Autism

program not just generalized special ed. Are there options out there if the

local schools dont provide any type of program? I had heard from someone that

its the schools responsibility to be able to provide adequate education for

every child but if they cant ...? What then?

>

> Any input is much appreciated!!

>

> Thanks,

>

>

>

Guest guest

, yes. They "have to". However, your definition of "adequate" and their definition might be very different. You should post this over at the taca-Usa Yahoo group. There's a mom over there super versed in education/IEPs.

Good luck!

Tammy

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Guest guest

Sometime working with a small district isn't as bad as it seems. I did that early on and they had no autism program. I was fine with that because it gave me a better opportunity to tailor a program that better fit my son, vs getting their "cookie-cutter approach."The battle I had to fight was, once we determined what that looked like, getting them to actually get engaged and DO it. But I had much less. Attlee on the IEP content because they hadn't had a lot of autism training & because they didn't already have programs in place. It sounds like you had some good things in place before your move. If you can, ask your prior special Ed coordinator to write a letter stating the things (or methods) that worked well for your child. This will usually go a long way to support your case. You can write your ideal goal list and discuss with the team why those would be good for your son. If they refuse , ask them for their research-based reasons for doing so. No budget or training are not excuses. It took some work the 1st year for us, but after that, things went much more smoothly. Best of luck - RuthSent from my iPhone

Hello Everyone,

My son (who is 7 and has Autism) and I moved to a very rural area to be closer to family. There are no Autism programs offered at the local schools only a generalized special ed class.Because of this I have to homeschool him right now because there are no options and I am very frustrated. Im a single parent so trying to work from home and teach my son without any help at all is really tough. My son attended a different school last year and was in a special designated autism program and has an IEP in place stating he needs an Autism program not just generalized special ed. Are there options out there if the local schools dont provide any type of program? I had heard from someone that its the schools responsibility to be able to provide adequate education for every child but if they cant ...? What then?

Any input is much appreciated!!

Thanks,