Yesterday, my daughter's daycare put sunscreen on her because the weather was

nice after being cold so long and they went outside. When I brought her home,

her face and neck got progressively redder and redder and in a splotchy way. It

started with her nose. We had a team meeting of therapists at home last night

and they all watched it happen. At the time, I thought it was the eggs I fed

her, but she had the same eggs a couple days before and nothing happened. And

then it dawned on me it must have been the sunblock, because it was just on her

face and neck. So, today, I told the daycare not to put any sunscreen on her

until I find a pure one from the health food store. The daycare said, " But ours

is pure and hypoallergenic. We'll give you a printout of what's in it. " I got

the printout today. It has titanium dioxide. It's made by Rocky Mountain

Sunscreen. www.rmsunscreen.com. I don't want them putting it on my kid. I just

looked online and saw that there is a sunscreen called Soleo Organics. If I

can't find anything at the health food store, I am ordering that one. Does

anyone else have any recommendations?

Guest guest

My son also broke out from sunscreen when he was really little. It was horrid! He screamed from it. And it was "hypoallergenic" as well. We keep the brand (at health food store) on hand for guests, but I don't use sunscreen on my kids, at all. Just hats, really. Honestly, I believe, as do most in the orthomolecular community that b and d vitamin deficiency allows skin to be more susceptible to burning. Since being on high vitamin therapy, we never burn. That's our experience. I sure hope they will respect whatever you choose for your daughter.Best to you,Jean

Yesterday, my daughter's daycare put sunscreen on her because the weather was nice after being cold so long and they went outside. When I brought her home, her face and neck got progressively redder and redder and in a splotchy way. It started with her nose. We had a team meeting of therapists at home last night and they all watched it happen. At the time, I thought it was the eggs I fed her, but she had the same eggs a couple days before and nothing happened. And then it dawned on me it must have been the sunblock, because it was just on her face and neck. So, today, I told the daycare not to put any sunscreen on her until I find a pure one from the health food store. The daycare said, "But ours is pure and hypoallergenic. We'll give you a printout of what's in it." I got the printout today. It has titanium dioxide. It's made by Rocky Mountain Sunscreen. www.rmsunscreen.com. I don't want them putting it on my kid. I just looked online and saw that there is a sunscreen called Soleo Organics. If I can't find anything at the health food store, I am ordering that one. Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Guest guest

Is there a problem with titanium dioxide? We use California Baby SPF30 with no fragrance (main ingredient is titanium dioxide) and it is rated very good for low toxicity by the Environmental Working Group's cosmetic database (at least the last time i checked)....could there be some other ingredient in their sunscreen that your child is sensitive to? To: mb12valtrex Sent:

Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:14 PM Subject: sunscreen

Yesterday, my daughter's daycare put sunscreen on her because the weather was nice after being cold so long and they went outside. When I brought her home, her face and neck got progressively redder and redder and in a splotchy way. It started with her nose. We had a team meeting of therapists at home last night and they all watched it happen. At the time, I thought it was the eggs I fed her, but she had the same eggs a couple days before and nothing happened. And then it dawned on me it must have been the sunblock, because it was just on her face and neck. So, today, I told the daycare not to put any sunscreen on her until I find a pure one from the health food store. The daycare said, "But ours is pure and hypoallergenic. We'll give you a printout of what's in it." I got the printout today. It has titanium dioxide. It's made by Rocky Mountain Sunscreen. www.rmsunscreen.com. I don't

want them putting it on my kid. I just looked online and saw that there is a sunscreen called Soleo Organics. If I can't find anything at the health food store, I am ordering that one. Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Guest guest

Hi Mel

We use soleo organics, and I found it through parents on the australian website

yahoo goup, so we have found it good here, in the land of lots sunshine, or

should I say UV rays. We have only used a few times, but had no problems, and

have reapplied at beach etc, and my boys face was fine after.

cheers

>

> > Yesterday, my daughter's daycare put sunscreen on her because the weather

was nice after being cold so long and they went outside. When I brought her

home, her face and neck got progressively redder and redder and in a splotchy

way. It started with her nose. We had a team meeting of therapists at home last

night and they all watched it happen. At the time, I thought it was the eggs I

fed her, but she had the same eggs a couple days before and nothing happened.

And then it dawned on me it must have been the sunblock, because it was just on

her face and neck. So, today, I told the daycare not to put any sunscreen on her

until I find a pure one from the health food store. The daycare said, " But ours

is pure and hypoallergenic. We'll give you a printout of what's in it. " I got

the printout today. It has titanium dioxide. It's made by Rocky Mountain

Sunscreen. www.rmsunscreen.com. I don't want them putting it on my kid. I just

looked online and saw that there is a sunscreen called Soleo Organics. If I

can't find anything at the health food store, I am ordering that one. Does

anyone else have any recommendations?

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I don't use sunscreen on my kids, either.  Ick, I hate the way it feels on my skin and then it starts making my mouth numb and leaves this horrid bitter taste in my mouth.  I don't know what it is but everytime I put it on, I feel really sick after and it makes me think the stuff's really toxic.

I just use hats and long sleeve shirts, too, and we try to avoid being out when the sun's hottest or try to find a shady area. That's funny you say that, Jean, about the b and d deficiencies leaving you more susceptible to sun burns.  My husband is prone to B deficiencies and he burns after a few minutes in the sun and must wear sunscreen all the time and I just cringe when he slathers it on because it gets everywhere and I touch it and then I get the weird numb bitter taste in my mouth.

My son also broke out from sunscreen when he was really little. It was horrid! He screamed from it. And it was " hypoallergenic " as well. We keep the brand (at health food store) on hand for guests, but I don't use sunscreen on my kids, at all. Just hats, really. Honestly, I believe, as do most in the orthomolecular community that b and d vitamin deficiency allows skin to be more susceptible to burning. Since being on high vitamin therapy, we never burn. 

That's our experience. I sure hope they will respect whatever you choose for your daughter.Best to you,Jean

Yesterday, my daughter's daycare put sunscreen on her because the weather was nice after being cold so long and they went outside. When I brought her home, her face and neck got progressively redder and redder and in a splotchy way. It started with her nose. We had a team meeting of therapists at home last night and they all watched it happen. At the time, I thought it was the eggs I fed her, but she had the same eggs a couple days before and nothing happened. And then it dawned on me it must have been the sunblock, because it was just on her face and neck. So, today, I told the daycare not to put any sunscreen on her until I find a pure one from the health food store. The daycare said, " But ours is pure and hypoallergenic. We'll give you a printout of what's in it. " I got the printout today. It has titanium dioxide. It's made by Rocky Mountain Sunscreen. www.rmsunscreen.com. I don't want them putting it on my kid. I just looked online and saw that there is a sunscreen called Soleo Organics. If I can't find anything at the health food store, I am ordering that one. Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Guest guest

We've been making our own and i've been pleasantly surprised by how effective this easy and cheap alternative is. My family is very fair skinned and burns easily. we spent 6 hours in the sun last august at the waterpark and not one us burned. We just put it in a small pump spray and make it everyweek in the summer. It also heals the rash my husband gets from shaving. I guess vitamin c promotes collagen growth.

¾ tsp of ascorbic acid (I bought it off amazon but you can also find it in the bulk spice section at wholefoods) and 3 oz purified water (you can also use aloe water). That's it!

You need to remake the vitamin C spray every 5-7 days. it doesn't go bad, it just breaks down and is no longer effective. I found it best if we put in on 30 minutes or so before going out into the sun to give it a chance to soak in. spray it on a couple times during the day. make sure you get the top of your head if you are not wearing a hat.the recipe is from Krispin Sullivan, CN, author of "Naked at Noon: Understanding Sunlight and Vitamin D". it says "the vitamin C is incorporated into the skin's cells to prevent ultraviolet damage to DNA".

Cheers, Mardi

Guest guest

My daughter and autistic son and myself cannot tolerate most sunscreens. We have chemical reactions that result in terrible burns when we use them. Once my husband reapplied a safe sunscreen to my son after he had put more regular sunscreen on himself. My son's eyes were almost swollen shut the next morning. Horrible because was nonverbal and couldn't even tell us he was having an issue overnight. Blue Lizard sunscreen (the sensitive one) is what we use. The safe ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. They make you look white, but we don’t burn. I remember the first time I ever blistered. We had a pool and I never put on sunscreen growing up in Texas even though I was outdoors constantly. My friend's mom came over one time and made me put sunscreen on my nose and it blistered. There are a few other sunscreens that are okay, but you have to really read the labels. Bought one last summer that had titanium dioxide and I burned terribly on minimal sun exposure. Checked the ingredients and it had oxybenzone.

Guest guest

Before sunscreens, cancer was rare. I fell into the hype about using

sunscreens for all kinds of supposedly healthy reasons, but in reality,

the sun makes me feel great, rids cold, rids nauseau, etc. So, I

chunked even the healthy sunscreens. But I do things like go out after

3:00 to lakes, and/or bring shirts. Young kids can wear short-sleeve

shirts, and I have long-sleeve shirts on hand just in case we start

getting burned - that is if we go out early in the day. You can time

going in and out of the sun throughout the day, so as not to stay out

too long. ly, we all did much better before sunscreens, and

because the sun promotes health, I am going back to the sun.

Love and prayers,

Heidi N

Guest guest

I agree 100% with you Heidi, but just remember that now supposedly there is less ozone in the atmosphere and so definitely seek shade when you see pinkness coming on.Happy sunny days!!!!Subject: Re: sunscreenTo: mb12valtrex Date: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 7:48 AM

Before sunscreens, cancer was rare. I fell into the hype about using

sunscreens for all kinds of supposedly healthy reasons, but in reality,

the sun makes me feel great, rids cold, rids nauseau, etc. So, I

chunked even the healthy sunscreens. But I do things like go out after

3:00 to lakes, and/or bring shirts. Young kids can wear short-sleeve

shirts, and I have long-sleeve shirts on hand just in case we start

getting burned - that is if we go out early in the day. You can time

going in and out of the sun throughout the day, so as not to stay out

too long. ly, we all did much better before sunscreens, and

because the sun promotes health, I am going back to the sun.

Love and prayers,

Heidi N

Guest guest

I got the list of ingredients from Rocky Mountain Sunscreen. There is

oxybenzone, along with octinoxate and octisalate and titanium dioxide. I don't

know which one of these things gave my daughter a rash.

>

> My daughter and autistic son and myself cannot tolerate most sunscreens. We

have chemical reactions that result in terrible burns when we use them. Once my

husband reapplied a safe sunscreen to my son after he had put more regular

sunscreen on himself. My son's eyes were almost swollen shut the next morning.

Horrible because was nonverbal and couldn't even tell us he was having an issue

overnight. Blue Lizard sunscreen (the sensitive one) is what we use. The safe

ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. They make you look white, but

we don't burn. I remember the first time I ever blistered. We had a pool and I

never put on sunscreen growing up in Texas even though I was outdoors

constantly. My friend's mom came over one time and made me put sunscreen on my

nose and it blistered. There are a few other sunscreens that are okay, but you

have to really read the labels. Bought one last summer that had titanium

dioxide and I burned terribly on minimal sun exposure. Checked the ingredients

and it had oxybenzone.

>

Guest guest

Please remove my email from the list. R. ChavezEngineerDenver Union Station ProjectCivil Technology/KIEWIT Mobile

I got the list of ingredients from Rocky Mountain Sunscreen. There is oxybenzone, along with octinoxate and octisalate and titanium dioxide. I don't know which one of these things gave my daughter a rash.

>

> My daughter and autistic son and myself cannot tolerate most sunscreens. We have chemical reactions that result in terrible burns when we use them. Once my husband reapplied a safe sunscreen to my son after he had put more regular sunscreen on himself. My son's eyes were almost swollen shut the next morning. Horrible because was nonverbal and couldn't even tell us he was having an issue overnight. Blue Lizard sunscreen (the sensitive one) is what we use. The safe ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. They make you look white, but we don't burn. I remember the first time I ever blistered. We had a pool and I never put on sunscreen growing up in Texas even though I was outdoors constantly. My friend's mom came over one time and made me put sunscreen on my nose and it blistered. There are a few other sunscreens that are okay, but you have to really read the labels. Bought one last summer that had titanium dioxide and I burned terribly on minimal sun exposure. Checked the ingredients and it had oxybenzone.

>

=