RemedySpot.com

Crohns disease of the Vulva

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dee,

Do you know the symptoms of this? I don't think that I have other symptoms of regular Crohns though

CPlanning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides.

Guest guest

Hi hon....

Seeing you mentioning Crohns...in case others might not be aware of it but that too can show up on the Vulva, here's one article I have.

Dee ;)

=================================================Title: Crohn's Disease of the Vulva W. Hardman and B. Majmudar (Authors) BACKGROUND: Cutaneous Crohn's disease (CD) of the vulva is a rare occurrence. It usually presents as either direct extension of gastrointestinal tract involvement with perianal or perivaginal fistula formation or as a disassociated "metastatic" lesion surrounded by normal dermal tissue. We present the clinicopathologic analysis of three cases of vulvar CD (Crohns disease) MATERIAL AND METHODS: The pathology records of Grady Memorial Hospital, Atlanta, Georgia, were searched to find three cases of vulvar CD between the period 1981-1995. The clinicopathologic profile of each patient was recorded. The microscopic slides were reviewed to confirm the original findings. Special stains and culture studies were performed to detect microorganisms in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue and fresh tissue, respectively. Only those cases that did not show any microorganism were included in the study. RESULTS: The patients were 23, 36 and 61 years of age. All three clinically presented with perirectal and/or perivaginal fistulae. The two younger patients did not have a previous history of CD. The oldest patient had recently undergone a colostomy for treatment of CD diagnosed years earlier. Histologically, biopsies from the three patients showed actute and chronic inflammation with noncaseating granulomas. Each case demonstrated direct extension of dermal granulomas within fistulous tracts. All special stains and culture results were negative for microorganisms. Upon follow-up, the two previously undiagnosed patients eventually were found to have gastrointestinal findings consistent with CD. CONCLUSION: As illustrated in our study, the granulomatous lesions of CD of the vulva can occur after bowel involvement or precede it in a symptomless fashion. Diagnosis of vulvar CD is further hindered by the absence of granulomata in about 50% of cases. Based on our study, therefore, we recommend that in women having symptoms of colitis and/or perianal-vulvovaginal lesions, CD should be suspected. Patients with granulomatous vulvitis should be investigated for CD of the colon if an infectious etiology has been ruled out.

Guest guest

HI Carolyn...

Hon I honestly don't know what those symptoms might be, I'm sorry.

But I would imagine the pain (probably burning) in the vulvar area might feel similiar to what any of us are feeling?.. and probably to go along with that are the fissures in the anal area and mostly irritable bowel problems.

One report I saw said that perianal symptoms can show up long before crohns is even diagnosed and why it is often mis-diagnosed till in later stages. I would think there would definitely be other symptoms as well though like Sherri gave a good list of those with her daughter.

Here's another link that talks about it.

Titled:

Inflammatory Bowel Disease--A Complication of Gyn Disorders

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/408847_3

You 'might' need to be a member with it being Medscape..

if so just join it and then try the link.

Good luck hon and I hope it's not that.Dee~

Re: Crohns disease of the Vulva

Dee,

Do you know the symptoms of this? I don't think that I have other symptoms of regular Crohns though

C

Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides.