RemedySpot.com

You're FIRED! Is being a well informed patient ''obnoxious'?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thought this was interesting and too good not to pass on, (from a newsletter I get) and there may be a time when we need to say to our physicians ''You're fired''.. (not vice versa as in this story) as long as it's based on a good solid foundation & legitimate information. Just remember no one cares as much about YOU as you do yourself. You give respect, but you also expect and deserve respect. ;)

Dee

=======================================

Is being a well-informed patient "obnoxious"?

February 25, 2008

Dear Friend, A lot has changed in the healthcare profession since I graduated from med school. Not just in terms of advancements in medicine, but also in the culture of medicine. I just came across a story that rankled me quite a bit because it flies in the face of everything that I was taught when I was learning my profession – and everything I'm routinely preaching when I write to you. According to a story I read on CNN.com, Dr. Golden, an allergist in Baltimore "fired" one of his patients for "being obnoxious." Sounds fair enough, right? But wait until you hear about the patient's behavior that was giving this allergist a rash. After Dr. Golden had recommended a medication for his patient's cough, the patient questioned the possible side effects of the drug. Dr. Golden tried to convince his patient that the side effects of the drug weren't bad. "But he wasn't open to discussing anything,"

Dr. Golden said. "He countermanded everything I said. So I told him, 'You know it all, so got take care of yourself. I'm not your doctor any more.'" THUNK!! That was the point in the story where my jaw hit the floor. I'm not sure which was more shocking to me: This doctor's behavior, or the fact that he was willing to tell this story to CNN.com – and use his real name! For me, this one anecdote crystallizes what's wrong with all of the healthcare profession, from your physician all the way up to the doctors who are with the FDA, and the doctors who are involved with Big Pharma.

They believe they shouldn't be questioned – least of all by their patients. But that's exactly what's happening these days. More and more, patients are taking more control of their healthcare, and are no longer accepting what doctors say as gospel. Patients are demanding a second opinion be heard: their own.

"I've been doing this for 28 years, and unquestionably it's gotten worse," Dr. Golden said. By "gotten worse," Dr. Golden means that his patients have become better informed and more likely to question him on things like the side effects of drugs. There's another industry that's been experiencing a similar backlash: the mainstream media.

Like doctors, they're no longer considered the be-all, end-all source of information, and their credibility is slipping a bit in the eyes of the public. The reason is simple: the Internet. More and more people are turning away from TV news sources and getting their information from the so-called "blogosphere" – amateurs with their own websites. Before the Internet, your family physician was the sole source of medical information and opinion. Sure, you could try to do some research on your own, but how? Where do you go? Medical journals in your local library? It wasn't practical.

But now, anyone with a cough or a pain in their side can fire up their computer, Google their symptoms, and get three dozen websites that will "diagnose" their ailment, and tell them not only about the standard treatments but the alternative and holistic treatments as well. As I tell you again and again, the medical community is slow to change its mind about its own accepted conventional wisdom. Almost every week I write to you about one of my beliefs finally being vindicated and accepted by the medical mainstream years later.

Most people find it ironic that doctors, whose profession is so reliant on continual learning, actually have very closed minds. And so when they're confronted by patients who question their opinions, they take offense. And in Dr. Golden's case, they commit the ultimate outrage of "firing" their patients. Naturally, the CNN.com article where I read about Dr. Golden goes on to list several "tips" to make you a "better patient" (read: a more docile patient that shuts up and obeys!). The number two tip? "Don't come in loaded with Internet printouts." In this tip, CNN.com takes a shot at the big-bad Internet that seems to be the enemy of both Big Media and Big Medicine. (I can't help but wonder if CNN.com includes its own health advice among the things you shouldn't bring up with your doctor.) To me, Dr. Golden is the poster boy for the arrogance and closed-mindedness that's rampant throughout the medical profession. I have little time for doctors who prefer to treat their patients as though they're just cars in for an oil change. I'm always encouraging you to question what's going on with your health, and I have no intention of changing. That's bad news for guys like Dr. Golden. And good news for your health. Fired up about "fired" patients, s II, M.D.

Guest guest

Very interesting indeed. I've had doctors get uncomfortable

because I've questioned them and one especially and let me go

but that was because we both agreed it was best as we just

couldn't communicate well with each other.

Kristy :)

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total

Access, No Cost.

http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbuster/text5.com

Guest guest

I bet most of us have "fired" doctors but left the office never to return. Saying your fired..ha ha

could be rewarding.

I have often thought about writing the gyn at the U of Minnesota that told me to take antidepressents and that my diet makes no difference and let her know that changing my diet has helped me along with hormone creams. Just think of the women going in there now that she is not giving enough alternative treatments too, because she does not know about them.

I had another doctor that said Sorry but you have Vulvodynia and there is nothing that can be done. I should write her too. Think about the women that leave her office crying and feeling hopeless. She needs to be informed.Maybe that should be a way of getting our message across. Write all the docs that couldn't help us and let them know about PT, estrace, testesterone cream, candida diet, etc. Let them know about things that we have learned from other docs (or mostly on this board) that have worked for us. They are the docs that need to be educated.

BlueeberriPlanning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides.

Guest guest

AMEN! and a big round of thank you to the ones who listen, encourage and give hope to us! hugs, ML

<<<< I bet most of us have "fired" doctors but left the office never to return. Saying your fired..ha ha

could be rewarding.

I have often thought about writing the gyn at the U of Minnesota that told me to take antidepressents and that my diet makes no difference and let her know that changing my diet has helped me along with hormone creams. Just think of the women going in there now that she is not giving enough alternative treatments too, because she does not know about them.

I had another doctor that said Sorry but you have Vulvodynia and there is nothing that can be done. I should write her too. Think about the women that leave her office crying and feeling hopeless. She needs to be informed.Maybe that should be a way of getting our message across. Write all the docs that couldn't help us and let them know about PT, estrace, testesterone cream, candida diet, etc. Let them know about things that we have learned from other docs (or mostly on this board) that have worked for us. They are the docs that need to be educated.

Blueeberri >>>>

Guest guest

I think we should ALL consider writing to the doctors who were

dismissive, unhelpful, or plain WRONG. At least writing to them or

even filing a complaint. I have written to two doctors that weren't

helpful with info about basic vulvodynia and treatment from NVA. I

wrote to another doc who said she was the " expert " and " only game in

town " about vulvodynia which was why she was " so full I can't get you

in for six months " , but she also said, " Even though you THINK you're

getting better you're not. You will never get better. " That doc got a

complaint filed against her with the medical board and the UC system,

along with a lovely packet of info along with a suggestion that her

practice wouldn't be as overloaded if she gave proper care to her

patients.

Lindsey

Guest guest

I agree Blueeberri. :)

About letting them know 'what's what' and why.~

I think when we just leave a physician and move on without saying something (which I've done and wish I hadn't) It's detrimental not only to their future patients... but the doctor themselves think they've cured or fixed us since we didn't come back. So they call their treatment a success. *groan*...

So just saying 'You're Fired' isn't enough, but BOY would I have loved to use those words more than a few times. Maybe one day in the future I might have to but for 'now' things are status quo. ;) Dee

----- Original Message ----- From: blueeberri@...

I bet most of us have "fired" doctors but left the office never to return. Saying your fired..ha ha

could be rewarding.

Blueeberri

Guest guest

Hoorah for you Lindsey.. :) I hadn't seen your post yet. ;)

Right on~ Way to go!

Dee ;)

----- Original Message ----- From: Lindsey

I think we should ALL consider writing to the doctors who were dismissive, unhelpful, or plain WRONG. At least writing to them or even filing a complaint. I have written to two doctors that weren't helpful with info about basic vulvodynia and treatment from NVA. I wrote to another doc who said she was the "expert" and "only game in town" about vulvodynia which was why she was "so full I can't get you in for six months", but she also said, "Even though you THINK you're getting better you're not. You will never get better." That doc got a complaint filed against her with the medical board and the UC system, along with a lovely packet of info along with a suggestion that her practice wouldn't be as overloaded if she gave proper care to her patients.Lindsey

Guest guest

Lindsey: SHEESH! never get better...I am glad you wrote your complaint. All of her patients should RUN THE OTHER WAY!!

hugs, ML

I think we should ALL consider writing to the doctors who were dismissive, unhelpful, or plain WRONG. At least writing to them or even filing a complaint. I have written to two doctors that weren't helpful with info about basic vulvodynia and treatment from NVA. I wrote to another doc who said she was the "expert" and "only game in town" about vulvodynia which was why she was "so full I can't get you in for six months", but she also said, "Even though you THINK you're getting better you're not. You will never get better." That doc got a complaint filed against her with the medical board and the UC system, along with a lovely packet of info along with a suggestion that her practice wouldn't be as overloaded if she gave proper care to her patients.Lindsey

Guest guest

It was awful...especially because it is a pretty well-known fact that a

high percentage of people get better NOT because of medications or

treatments but because of the placebo effect. The placebo effect (or,

as I like to say, the healing power of the mind and Spirit)is as high

as 60% in many cases. Having a supportive, positive doctor can boost

this effect tremendously. Of course, everybody is doing the CYA thing

now and trying to let people know of all of the awful possibilities,

but there is a way to do that and be positive in many cases. Also, how

did that old bat know that I was never going to get well-she couldn't

even tell me what caused things to go south in the first place.

Nutball. BTW...another helpful tool is www.ratemds.com. Check it out

and rate your docs.

Lindsey