RemedySpot.com

OPTING OUT & BEACONS *PLEASE READ*

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I hope most of you read this... :)

It's definitely been a long time since this was discussed on the group...and most of you may not be aware of this... on all Yahoo groups or anyone just visiting Yahoo they use what they call 'web beacons' and sort of track you (not sort of but does) to send you information (junk) on all kinds of things...but you can use the 'OPT OUT" option to block that.

Here's what it says....

''Yahoo! displays more relevant advertising based on your browser's activities on the Yahoo! owned and operated web sites, such as the types of pages viewed or categories of terms searched on. By using this anonymous information, Yahoo! hopes to bring more relevant advertising to you.

While you don't have the option to turn off advertising, Yahoo! does give you the option to opt-out of using this information to better customize advertising to you off of Yahoo!’s web sites. Please see your current Opt-In/Opt-Out choice below.

Yahoo! also uses web beacons off of Yahoo!’s web sites for a number of purposes including research and reporting for some of our clients. You may choose to opt-out of Yahoo! using this information by using the link below to change your Opt-In/Opt-out choice.'' (This is what it looks like)

You are currently opted in

click the button to change it.

(There's a button right here)

If your status has not changed after selecting Opt-Out, your browser may be set to block Yahoo! Cookies. Please unblock Yahoo! Cookies and try again.

IF IT SAYS YOU ARE OPTED IN? JUST CLICK THE BUTTON AND VOILA YOU ARE OPTED OUT.

This is the link to do that.

http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/opt_out/targeting/details.html

''Note: This opt-out applies to a specific browser rather than a specific user. Therefore you will have to opt-out separately from each computer or browser that you use.''

Well, NO wonder I've been getting SO much doggone spam.. 'extremely so' talk about being frustrated here, at least 200 a day that slip thru my server and they block about 200 as well... I get theirs once a day at the end of the day to make sure there are no legitimate ones blocked (and often there are).. so it really is extreme in my case. but realizing I never ''opted out'' again, it makes sense now. *groan*

(ORA hope you're seeing this, the other idea we talked about didn't do too much (removing cookies) though that too is a good idea to do. )

Since my crash and everything was a new start from scratch and had to be downloaded all over again, I even had to reset all my groups as to how I want to receive my mail (each one separately by the way, and I'm on about 32 groups) *YIKES* but I never gave that a thought about the beacons and opting out and I KNOW better and still forgot. arghhhhhh

Anyway please check out that link and DO ''opt out'' if you want to reduce those beacons you are sending out, saying 'Yoo Hoo here I am, please send me all that spam and junk mail!! (hopefully opting out will help) ....

Dee