RemedySpot.com

Re: VESTIBULODYNIA - by Dr. -Dee

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hey Dee, thanks for that info. I found it very interesting... I too disagree with her about the effectiveness of antihistamines. In 1999, after 7 yrs. of 'constant' vulvar pain, I tried an oral OTC antihistamine, it was the first thing that gave me good relief! I have used them off and on since then. They may not be a true cure...but can be helpful. I have a question that you might can answer. Why did she say that the 'age' of first sexual intercourse is a 'risk' factor for vestibulitis/vestibulodynia? That makes no sense to me! On the other hand, I think she could not be more *wrong* about the following statement: Current Oral Contraceptive Pill use and

duration of use are not significant factors. I'll try to remain 'calm' and not begin to rant... ;0) I thought this was interesting too: *The epidermis of the vestibule, bladder mucosa, and urethra share a common embryological derivation from the urogenital sinus. Thanks again, Chelle

Guest guest

I think that the sentence about the oral contraceptives should

read that it is not a significant factor in every case because

not everyone has a problem with being on the pill when it comes

to their vulvodynia.

Kristy :)

Guest guest

On the other hand, I think she could not be more *wrong* about the following statement: Current Oral Contraceptive Pill use and duration of use are not significant factors.

I'll try to remain 'calm' and not begin to rant... ;0)

I STRONGLY AGREE. Many women on here got VV after being on birthcontrol and many have hormone issues. If women read it is not a significant factor, they may brush off looking into hormone levels.

How can taking the pill 'NOT be a significant factor" it messes with our body chemistry! It has to affect our health in some way. How many studies have really been done on the affects of the pill? and would the big drug companies want to interview us? Heck no! They might go out of business if they did!

BlueeberriIt's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money Finance.

Guest guest

HI Chelle... yes there were a few things in there I disagreed with too, of course I do with various articles, as often there'll be a few things here & there even if the majority of it is good. *sigh*

About the early intercourse? I see she tied early use of the birth control in with that as a possible marker, then states 'early sex' alone is also a risk factor.

''One study linked oral contraceptive pill (OCP) use, especially in women under age 17, to an increased risk of vestibular pain [33]. However, this may represent a marker for early age of first sexual intercourse, which is also a risk factor for VBY.''

I 'can' understand the early use of B.Control as a possible factor knowing with studies today (my original of that was from '05) how they can contribute...so I definitely agree with you & Blueeberri there, and what a shame she glossed over that so lightly by saying;

''Current Oral Contraceptive Pill use and duration of use are 'not' significant factors''

I would hope today that she's changed her mind about that.

And I've seen early sex mentioned off and on over the years for many things, which I personally don't believe (other than emotional issues in some cases or unless it'd be a little kid and cause physical trauma so that would make some sense) ... but they used to say that about someone having HPV too, or getting cervical cancer, that if they had sex too young they'd get it. Or if a partner was uncircumcised too. I think anything to dissuade us from sex as a culture.

But, as a side note, an uncirc'd partner could harbor more germs if they don't keep clean yet ironically someone who is not circ'd... has more 'skin' so there isn't that constant friction on us either.. as the penis can slide within for pleasure for him but it's far less irritation for us. (just as a side note, LOL)

OH and then it was the ''socioeconomic level'' usually brought in, that only the poor or uneducated got (HPV) 'or smoked' because they were so ignorant. *Sigh* Which at least she did deny in that paper, saying it had nothing to do with VBY AND she did say that HPV had nothing to do with the vestibulodynia either which is so from all I've read. (heck 80% of the sexual population carries it and most don't have pain)

I was confused too where earlier in the paper she says...

''Most women with VBY are white, young (mean age 32 years), and nulliparous''

Meaning 'not' having bore children.

Then further down she says this, the exact opposite. ??

''A strong association of VBY with the postpartum period has been reported. Thirty-nine percent of women delivering first or second babies developed nonfocal introital dyspareunia''

and then adds:

''and cesarean delivery was 'not' protective.''

Meaning even without vaginal delivery or trauma there, they still got VBY. So basically having or not having children makes no difference.

About this?

''The epidermis of the vestibule, bladder mucosa, and urethra share a common embryological derivation from the urogenital sinus.''

Yes I did know that... and it's another part or reason of why estrogen can be so beneficial for all of those regions...and it's especially beneficial (to me) for the bladder & IC or incontinence too.

OH and guess what on the ''incontinence'' issue? Progestins ''again'', can be part & parcel of that too (as it is in birth control) for those who also use it for HRT (hormone replacement). It's not the E but the P. !! Same as that Prempro WHI study. *sigh*

Quote from one study: <---- click to read it.

''CONCLUSION: Estrogen 'plus' progestin therapy increases risk of urge and stress incontinence within 4 months of beginning treatment." !!

She did get the estrogen right in an earlier part then further down says.... the E & T have not been that effective in the majority of cases but have helped some patients. So it seems she's not so sure of many things as she contradicts herself in places. CYA I guess....

She was right about the overabundance of Mast cells (histamine, cytokines etc.) but then says antihistamines aren't that effective, like you said and I agree with how they 'can' certainly help....and mentions the PT and many other things that I think were accurate, so you take what you need and try to overlook the rest. But if someone isn't that educated themselves it's tough to know what to believe or take with a grain of salt I'm sure.

But like I said I've seen the same in other papers or books too where I think ''What a fantastic article or book, all 'except' for that one small paragraph or line, they blew it.'' :)

Just My two cents take on it. ;)

Hugs,Dee ~ ;)

----- Original Message ----- From: Chelle

Hey Dee, thanks for that info. I found it very interesting...

I too disagree with her about the effectiveness of antihistamines. In 1999, after 7 yrs. of 'constant' vulvar pain, I tried an oral OTC antihistamine, it was the first thing that gave me good relief! I have used them off and on since then. They may not be a true cure...but can be helpful. I have a question that you might can answer. Why did she say that the 'age' of first sexual intercourse is a 'risk' factor for vestibulitis/vestibulodynia? That makes no sense to me!

On the other hand, I think she could not be more *wrong* about the following statement: Current Oral Contraceptive Pill use and duration of use are not significant factors.

I'll try to remain 'calm' and not begin to rant... ;0)

I thought this was interesting too:

*The epidermis of the vestibule, bladder mucosa, and urethra share a common embryological derivation from the urogenital sinus.

Thanks again, Chelle

Guest guest

Hey Dee, thanks for your 'thoughts' on that article! I so agree that we have to 'educate' ourselves as much as possible. As for this statement.... ''The epidermis of the vestibule, bladder mucosa, and urethra share a common embryological derivation from the urogenital sinus.'' I have often wondered if estrogen receptors in other areas of the body could be 'blocked' by the synthetic progestins in the birth control pill - (like they can be in the vulvar area). Estrogen has not only been good for my vulvar skin, but so good for my bladder as well. (I have IC). As you know, estrogen receptors in us females are throughout our bodies...even in the pelvic floor

muscles! I so wish I had 'never' gone on the pill, and the fact that I took it for so many yrs (ten) makes me cringe. *sigh* Hugs, Chelle

Guest guest

<I have often wondered if estrogen receptors in other areas of the body could be 'blocked' by the synthetic progestins in the birth control pill ->

HI Chelle.... those E. receptors sure are all over the body... esp. the brain, bones,arteries, and more... and I would think the P could block it anywhere in the body. Think about how it can depress with mood or libido .. things that aren't connected necessarily with the physical genitals. What sort of scares me is the connection with breast cancer, since they know it was the addition of a progestin (Provera) when it was added to the estrogen (even tho it was Premarin) in a med called Prempro (Premarin 'and' Provera) they know it was the P. that increased that risk and some others. *Sigh*

Dee~