RemedySpot.com

RE: nature of pain

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I hope Dee see’s your message – she may know the answer.

nne

VulvarDisorders [mailto:VulvarDisorders ] On

Behalf Of Carolyn52192@...

Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:43 PM

To: VulvarDisorders ; happypelvis

Subject: nature of pain

The real star of the antidepressant group is duuloxetine

(Cymbalta) which was developed for neuropathy pain. It really takes away a

certain part of IC pain, usually the unpleasant burning, ground glass

sensations in the pelvis. This type of pain is usually due to some kind of

dysfunction in nerve cells and is termed neuropathic pain. Cymbalta really seems

to help a lot with that type of pain.

How does one know if the pain they are experiencing is muscular in

nature or dysfunction in nerve cell as is stated above?

Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car

listings at AOL

Autos.

Guest guest

thanks Dee, but I was wondering about that dyfunction in the nerve cell quote from that paragraph (Cymbalta)

what that means exactly. Can one have dyfunction of a nerve cell, without the pelvic muscles pressing on the nerve? Not necessarily the pudendal nerve, just some of the other nerves there. Also, is the pudendal nerve the only nerve they can test with emg?

CNeed a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos.

Guest guest

The real star of the antidepressant group is duuloxetine (Cymbalta) which was developed for neuropathy pain. It really takes away a certain part of IC pain, usually the unpleasant burning, ground glass sensations in the pelvis. This type of pain is usually due to some kind of dysfunction in nerve cells and is termed neuropathic pain. Cymbalta really seems to help a lot with that type of pain.

How does one know if the pain they are experiencing is muscular in nature or dysfunction in nerve cell as is stated above? (Carolyn)

I honestly don't know a technical answer either nne to that question so I'm no help to Carolyn either. I'm thinking about those nerve stimulation tests I know they can do with those little electrical leads & the shocks I've had that...so maybe that's one way? And it just seems to me that I 'know' when my muscles hurt, vs. when I have a sharp toothache or my knees ache, it's a different sort of pain no? But I could be 1,000% wrong..

Maybe it has to do with what was in that article where it said:

Somatic pain tends to be well localized, constant pain that is described as sharp, aching, throbbing, or gnawing.

Visceral pain, on the other hand, tends to be vague in distribution, paroxysmal in nature and is usually described as deep, aching, squeezing and colicky in nature.

info on those was from that other link I added. http://www.oncologychannel.com/pain/types.shtml

Maybe Somatic pain is more the nerve pain and the Visceral the muscles? I dunno.....On the other hand never mind.. that really doesn't answer the Q. either. *sigh*

I wonder if Tom would know? Or you'd think a doctor would. Wish I did know.

Dee ~ ;)

Guest guest

Neuropathic pain, in contrast to nociceptive pain, is described as "burning", "electric", "tingling", and "shooting" in nature.

Does that help at all? (from the article you just sent nne)

Dee

Guest guest

thanks for the insight Dee, just a little frustrating trying to figure out why Pt was so painful for me. I

don't think I am "entrapped" but I just couldn't tolerate it, so I thought maybe my nerves were dysfunctional causing the pain.

CNeed a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos.

Guest guest

HI C... ;)

Hon I honestly don't know about the dysfunction of a nerve cell without the muscles pressing on it.

I'm thinking for instance if the myelin sheath surrounding each nerve (the insulating factor) is disrupted or damaged, that happens I think without muscles being involved? As that comes with certain diseases that can strip that away. For instance like with MS or Guilliane Barr disease. Or how about a bad toothache? That exquisite raw pain when a nerve is hit.. that's not the muscles is it?.. Or how about a 'pinched' nerve? maybe it's not necessarily caused by muscles but when it's damaged the muscles can't work. So it's sort of vice versa? or maybe works both ways?

Thinking about it backwards, all muscular movement involves the action of muscles and nerves and needs that electrical current to work, (as when I lost that ability with Bells Palsy) the nerve was 'pinched' and the facial muscles went dead and unable to function. I suppose it all ties in together. Told you I didn't know. *grin*.

As far as the EMG (Electromyography) for nerve conduction? I would think it can be tested just about everywhere, but again just a guess. I had it done for bad shoulder nerve pain.

Dee~ :)

Re: nature of pain

thanks Dee, but I was wondering about that dyfunction in the nerve cell quote from that paragraph (Cymbalta)

what that means exactly. Can one have dyfunction of a nerve cell, without the pelvic muscles pressing on the nerve? Not necessarily the pudendal nerve, just some of the other nerves there. Also, is the pudendal nerve the only nerve they can test with emg?

C

Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos.

Guest guest

C.... if that's the case (you couldn't tolerate the PT) I can only say 'I' too would certainly not endure that either based on a hunch it is that without knowing absolutely.

I know when I was so bad there was definitely NO way I could have ever considered the PT or the skin rolling or whatever, (when even air or water killed me? No thank you) and for those that it's helped I think it's marvelous and indeed it has helped some, so it's not that I'm against it at all, (we know of the helpful stories here) but again like I said, I 'knew' without a doubt in 'my' case that it wasn't from something internal going on hon it was all with the damaged surface skin tissue that would rip and tear and split.

(Even when you consider just those few abstracts I've sent on about birth control and how those block the necessary hormones and how many have V pain because of it, it's again a skin issue and it's not from pelvic floor or muscle problems as just one example.)

It seems to me hon.. your body is telling you something and you're not listening, and 'I' truly do believe in 'Listening to the Body', it 'wants' to heal. And I never did believe in that 'no pain no gain' theory personally. But hon that is just my two cents worth and no doubt others have different opinions of course. ;) hugs

Dee

----- Original Message ----- From: Carolyn52192@...

thanks for the insight Dee, just a little frustrating trying to figure out why Pt was so painful for me. I

don't think I am "entrapped" but I just couldn't tolerate it, so I thought maybe my nerves were dysfunctional causing the pain.

C