Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

A doctor prescribed Nortryptilene saying it helps with " phantom pain "

but I have tons of inflammation so the pain obviously isn't in my

head. I don't understand how antidepressants could help when the

inflamed tissue is the reason why I'm in pain. Also I don't even

think I should take it because I'm already on SSRI antidepressants and

this is a trycyclic, I don't think the two are supposed to be mixed.

Has anyone taken Nortryptilene and does it help?

Guest guest

Hey lulubuns, No, the pain is NOT in your head! ;) Have you ever used anything specifically for the vulvar skin -- do you 'feel' like that is what you need? I mean, that it's inflammation in the skin, versus constant neuropathic pain with no skin problems. Do you have problems with your bladder, bowels, tight muscles, etc? From what I understand, the tri-cyclics can sometimes 'block' neuropathic pain signals. Did you tell your doc what you wanted to try? Ask for any other suggestions? Something topical? I think the Nortriptyline usually has less side effects than the amitriptyline. As to combining the med with your SSRI - I'd ask a Pharmacist, but I certainly understand your concerns. ;) ~Chelle lulubuns

wrote: A doctor prescribed Nortryptilene saying it helps with "phantom pain"but I have tons of inflammation so the pain obviously isn't in myhead. I don't understand how antidepressants could help when theinflamed tissue is the reason why I'm in pain. Also I don't eventhink I should take it because I'm already on SSRI antidepressants andthis is a trycyclic, I don't think the two are supposed to be mixed.Has anyone taken Nortryptilene and does it help?

Guest guest

Thanks, yes what I really want to try is topical estrogen but NO

doctor will prescribe it to me! I explain that it is often used for

vestibulitis but they simply won't prescribe it because of my age.

Doctors offer steroid cream (which made me much worse) and lidocaine

(which I'm allergic to). I have actually asked my mother to request a

prescription for estrogen cream at her next doctor visit, since she

has gone through menopause- I don't think it would be a problem for

her to get it prescribed. I also have interstitial cystitis, I think

that is also inflammation rather than neuropathic pain. But I will ask

a pharmacist if it is safe for me to switch to the nortriptylene; if

it might be able to help my pain I guess I could give it a try. ---

In VulvarDisorders , Chelle wrote:

>

> Hey lulubuns,

>

> No, the pain is NOT in your head! ;) Have you ever used anything

specifically for the vulvar skin -- do you 'feel' like that is what

you need? I mean, that it's inflammation in the skin, versus constant

neuropathic pain with no skin problems. Do you have problems with

your bladder, bowels, tight muscles, etc?

>

> From what I understand, the tri-cyclics can sometimes 'block'

neuropathic pain signals. Did you tell your doc what you wanted to

try? Ask for any other suggestions? Something topical?

>

> I think the Nortriptyline usually has less side effects than the

amitriptyline. As to combining the med with your SSRI - I'd ask a

Pharmacist, but I certainly understand your concerns.

>

> ;) ~Chelle

>

> lulubuns wrote:

> A doctor prescribed Nortryptilene saying it helps with " phantom pain "

> but I have tons of inflammation so the pain obviously isn't in my

> head. I don't understand how antidepressants could help when the

> inflamed tissue is the reason why I'm in pain. Also I don't even

> think I should take it because I'm already on SSRI antidepressants and

> this is a trycyclic, I don't think the two are supposed to be mixed.

> Has anyone taken Nortryptilene and does it help?

>

Guest guest

Hey LuLubuns, Boy do I hear you! I too have IC and vulvodynia and I KNEW mine had a huge hormonal component. I was dead on!!! Estrogen has helped my vulva and bladder MORE than anything else so far. Have you tried a uro/gyn? They usually know that estrogen has good uro/genital effects. Have you tried the NVA? They have a list of providers for every state that treat vulvar pain. Even if you have to go out of network one time to see a doc that will prescribe it, it would be worth it. I've found that once ONE doc gives in and allows you try something, other docs won't be afraid to and will comply. It's a shame that you have to go to such lengths...but it's worth it to get that pain level down. Do not give up! Hugs, Chelle PS - Print out info

from the group and take it with you to a doc appt. I did! I took Dr. Vliet's book, laid it on my uor/gyn's desk and said, "here, read this". I took emails from the group of their experiences with Estrace topically and gave them to him, too. I overwhelmed him with INFO.... :0)lulubuns wrote: Thanks, yes what I really want to try is topical estrogen but NOdoctor will prescribe it to me! I explain that it is often used forvestibulitis but they simply won't prescribe it because of my age.Doctors offer steroid cream (which made me much worse) and lidocaine(which I'm allergic to). I have actually asked my mother to request aprescription for estrogen cream at her next doctor visit, since shehas gone through menopause- I don't think it would be a problem forher to get it

prescribed. I also have interstitial cystitis, I thinkthat is also inflammation rather than neuropathic pain. But I will aska pharmacist if it is safe for me to switch to the nortriptylene; ifit might be able to help my pain I guess I could give it a try. ---In VulvarDisorders , Chelle wrote:>> Hey lulubuns,> > No, the pain is NOT in your head! ;) Have you ever used anythingspecifically for the vulvar skin -- do you 'feel' like that is whatyou need? I mean, that it's inflammation in the skin, versus constantneuropathic pain with no skin problems. Do you have problems withyour bladder, bowels, tight muscles, etc? > > From what I understand, the tri-cyclics can sometimes 'block'neuropathic pain signals. Did you tell your doc what you wanted totry? Ask for any other suggestions? Something topical? > > I think the Nortriptyline usually has less side

effects than theamitriptyline. As to combining the med with your SSRI - I'd ask aPharmacist, but I certainly understand your concerns. > > ;) ~Chelle > > lulubuns wrote:> A doctor prescribed Nortryptilene saying it helps with "phantom pain"> but I have tons of inflammation so the pain obviously isn't in my> head. I don't understand how antidepressants could help when the> inflamed tissue is the reason why I'm in pain. Also I don't even> think I should take it because I'm already on SSRI antidepressants and> this is a trycyclic, I don't think the two are supposed to be mixed.> Has anyone taken Nortryptilene and does it help?>------------------------------------**IF REPLYING TO THIS POST, PLEASE REMOVE ORIGINAL POST, Thanks for your cooperation! *****

Guest guest

HI Lulubuns... *grin*

You really have to stress how the 'Estrace cream' is going to be used.. just topically hon.. they automatically assume it's to be used inside the vagina and so of course you're too young for that since it's usually used for HRT (hormone replacement) in older women.

And 'I'd' suggest mentioning how the studies show that it's the 'receptors' for the estrogen and testosterone that are found damaged or lacking with women with V pain (over 50% I think it was in one study) and esp. those on birth control (if you are on that).. and how studies show that it's the receptors that figure into this, NOT the amt. of estrogen or testosterone in the blood stream. Unfortunately that'll make you sound like a smart alec.*sigh*... arghhhhhh

How about asking for a sample size tube? Sometimes they might feel comfortable with that small amt. Or you might say ''Well doctor X I've tried everything 'your' way and it hasn't helped can I please try it my way? or if he say no.. just say 'why not'? and don't say another word. Or maybe an agreement on a time frame... to say ''I will do what you suggest and IF at that time it doesn't help or work..THEN can I try it?''

Especially seeing you mention the steroid meds and how they've reacted on you... that was my downfall big time and I definitely should not have listened to my doc as the worse I got, the 'more' they (various ones) insisted I stay on it... Talk about ''Listening to your body'. *Sigh* I sure should have BIG TIME.. Well live & learn.

Sure wish I could help hon... but keep trying and don't give up. I know when I had a hard time I was ready to beg, borrow or steal it from anyone as well. Sometimes they have to be gently guided hon.. If not it's time to move on....

Hang in there.Dee

Guest guest

Thanks,I made a appointment with a doctor who specializes in

urogynecology and pelvic reconstructive surgery. I'll bring some info

with about the topical estrogen. At the moment the tissue is so

inflamed it's compltely white so there's no way the doctor can say the

pain is in my head. I have been reading about the surgery,

vestibulectomy which sounds pretty scary, I definately want to try

estrogen first!

>

> Hey LuLubuns,

>

> Boy do I hear you! I too have IC and vulvodynia and I KNEW mine

had a huge hormonal component. I was dead on!!! Estrogen has helped

my vulva and bladder MORE than anything else so far.

>

> Have you tried a uro/gyn? They usually know that estrogen has

good uro/genital effects.

>

> Have you tried the NVA? They have a list of providers for every

state that treat vulvar pain. Even if you have to go out of network

one time to see a doc that will prescribe it, it would be worth it.

I've found that once ONE doc gives in and allows you try something,

other docs won't be afraid to and will comply. It's a shame that you

have to go to such lengths...but it's worth it to get that pain level

down.

>

> Do not give up! Hugs, Chelle

>

> PS - Print out info from the group and take it with you to a doc

appt. I did! I took Dr. Vliet's book, laid it on my uor/gyn's desk

and said, " here, read this " . I took emails from the group of their

experiences with Estrace topically and gave them to him, too. I

overwhelmed him with INFO.... :0)