RemedySpot.com

QUESTIONS TO ASK THE DOCTOR.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

HI all... seeing I just sent this to someone off list.. I thought it's been a while since I put it here so just sharing it again. Hope it helps someone.

Dee

QUESTIONS TO ASK THE DOCTOR.

HI Everyone,

This is something I've put together to hopefully help with our physicians visits even though I mention a first visit; there are other thoughts here that might help as well if it's a return visit.

Visiting a doctor, especially the first time can feel overwhelming because there is so much medical history to cover in a short span of time as well as the highly charged emotional component as well as possibly embarrassment. But there are several things we can do to make your first or any visit for that matter more productive and help you get the best possible care from your doctor.

In fact there are a few thoughts here I'd ask by the way of a phone call even 'before' I set a first appointment, to 'sort of' interview the doctor or their nurse, receptionist etc. ahead of time. To me those few things seem reasonable even over the phone and if they aren't agreeable or amiable to those, I'd say thank you and move on and call someone else.

Some good questions to ask any doctor

I'd suggest the phrasing here, but you'll want to phrase these questions in a way that's natural for you, of course, and without offending the physician or coming off as a 'know it all'. No one likes to have their egos bruised. ;)

These may be ones I'd want answered ahead of time even with a phone conversation as an interview before that first appointment.

Are you well versed and experienced in vulvar/genital care, do you have knowledge of Lichen Sclerosus or Vulvodynia or Vestibulitis? (If they say ‘is it an ear problem?” I’d hang up. (There is a vestibule in the ear though) *smile*

I want to be active and participate in my health care. How do you feel about the team approach where the patient is an active member of their own health care team?

Because I want to understand, not because I question your judgment, I tend to ask quite few questions. Will this bother you?

Will you be the doctor I see every time I have an appointment here? (for group practices)

What's the procedure if I need assistance outside of office hours?

Are you available if there is an emergency, either a phone call or an office visit?

MORE THOUGHTS....

Bring with you a list of your current medications and what you've tried recently, not things from years ago but current. Also tell them what you are allergic to as far as meds.

Have a list handy of other major health problems such as high BP, Heart, Diabetes, thyroid, Graves, Lupus etc. etc. etc., though most will have you fill in some sort of a questionnaire first time.

Tell the doctor your most major current problem, don't bombard them with how everything hurts from head to toe but take care of one thing at a time with the major condition being first, the main reason you are there, else a physician won't know where to start if it's a first time visit especially, try to take it a step at a time. Nothing frustrates a physician more than to see a patient come in with a huge yellow sheet with tons of information on it. They probably cringe inside. LOL

MORE QUESTIONS TO ASK DURING VISIT.

How many patients have you treated for my condition?

With the treatment you prescribe, how many have actually followed through with it?

What are your success rates with 'my' condition?

Are there any journal articles available for me to read that address this treatment? (We've most of them at our Home page on LS, by the way. I personally would not tell them how much I've learned on the web or a group like ours. I've seen haunches go up with that.

Are there any patients that have made themselves available as a reference or someone I could talk to that has undergone this treatment or has this condition?

How many patients have come in for a follow-up visit six months or a year after treatment so you could determine whether the treatment had long-term positive or negative consequences? (also to see if they returned to this doctor or were disappointed & moved on.)

Regarding medications being prescribed:

What type of drug is this, and how does it work?

If prescribing more than one drug, what should be taken when, and in what order?

Are there interactions with this drug and anything else I might be on? (Be careful of Diflucan, an oral yeast medications and erythromycin (an antibiotic), the combinations can be risky)

How long do I have to stay on this drug?

What will the next course of action be if this treatment or drug does not work?

How long a time frame before I can expect some results?

What are my other options?

What are the possible side effects of this drug? Is that common? Will they go away? At what point should I call you about any side effects?

What are the dangers if I overuse this drug?

What can I use for temporary or immediate relief if this drug doesn't work?

If what you suggested doesn't work, are you open to some of ‘my’ suggestions? (I love that one!) *grin*...

Is this a temporary or life time situation?

I'm certain there are others I didn't think of, but that's more than a good armful*grin*

Good doctors deserve our respect. Just don't forget that we deserve respect, too. Most disorders (especially of the genitals) tend to make us a bit more emotional and a bit less confident especially when we're in such pain. We begin to doubt ourselves or we become over emotional. (Especially if we're so frustrated)

Don't fall into that trap. Just have your information and questions ready. Give and expect respect, and don't settle for less. Don't get me wrong, I do respect doctors, but I expect them to both deserve my respect and to return it, and some unfortunately do not deserve it at all but remember to not overwhelm the doctor especially on that first visit.

A friend passed on one more thought. ;)

It's in the way of WHEN these things are discussed. Discussions should always take place when you are eye to eye instead of when you are ... well... sorta .... mmmm .. You know!!! Nakedly exposed so to speak. ;)

The very nature of the exam itself kind of makes it impossible to think during and often just after. So get it done right up front, BEFORE you are naked! You might even ask for an interview appointment the first time where you can sit and talk first.

Also, I would suggest that if you really feel you can't speak to a doctor like this (and many of us can't) - ALWAYS take along an advocate to your appts. Husband, friend, mother, or sister - anyone who can and will ask and get the answers to the questions and any others you may have.

Hugs to all,

Dee~