RemedySpot.com

Pain & the Brain... Fun day, (ML)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

<It was the BEST HOLIDAY I have had in so long....!!! When I got home I realized the burning was gone...hmmm gets me to thinking. How about you...any thoughts? ML who you prolly get sick of hearin say attitude is soooo important.>

awwhhh

HI Lou.. ;)

Sure glad you had a FUN day hon...sounds wonderful. Hooray for you! ;)

You know you may be more right than you suspect with attitude or the Pain/Brain connection. More and more studies coming out there IS a biological reason esp. with Chronic Pain. It's not that it's in the head so I sure don't want anyone to get riled up with the message.. *chuckle*

Not at all and of course when you have pain you are going to pull back and be extra cautious... but the brain can go thru physical changes with long term chronic pain and some studies are showing that ''cognitive behavioral therapy'' (which probably involves attitutude to some degree) is something that can help in retraining the brain.

These are just a few clips from an article about a study that dealt with the pain of IB.... but the points they made were for long term chronic pain (one mentioned was IC too) so I've no doubt it would fit any type of long term pain.

The more anxious, the more emotional somebody is, the more severe the experienced pain is.

The brain fundamentally did not show the normal, what we call adaptive response to the situation. At first glance, this seems trivial, but it confirms -- actually relates to -- a much larger body of the literature about symptom-related fears or symptom-related anxiety which seem to be play a big role in many chronic pain disorders.

Patients who have chronic pain disorders have much higher fears and anxieties related to what could happen in a given situation related to their symptoms

Are your findings biological?Yes....the more we realize that every brain function, emotions, cognitions or pain response, has a biological basis.

What we saw in this study is therefore a neurobiological response that is different in patients. .......it seems the dopamine signal system in the brain is involved in its difference.

NOTE * I added this about dopamine just FYI: Dee*

(''The new research shows how much you suffer is due at least partly to a gene that helps regulate how many natural painkillers, called endorphins, your body produces. The gene produces an enzyme called COMT that metabolizes the brain chemical dopamine, which acts as a signal messenger between brain cells... Too much dopamine in the brain reduces endorphin content. In another study, they found women tolerate pain better during the time of the menstrual cycle when estrogen levels are highest.'' (Vliet says that too)

CONT...

We also look at, for example, genetic factors -- how they might predispose an individual to have this response that does not turn off the gain.

Cognitive behavioral therapies are the most effective treatments for patients who are willing to undergo it -- not general psychotherapy, not psychoanalysis, but really retraining the brain to respond differently to expected stressors, including pain.

You feel everything very intensely, including the pain," Brodsky says.

Doctors say you can re-train the brain to turn down those pain circuits, providing some relief.

Source for the above, (Keep in mind it's mostly about Irritable Bowel but the main points about the pain & the brain would be similiar 'I think' for any long term chronic pain.

http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?storyid=18824

================

I also added this one too that's similiar, just FYI...

Brain Plasticity and Central Sensitization (CLIPS ONLY )Central sensitization describes changes that occur in the brain in response to repeated nerve stimulation. Following repeated stimulation, levels of neurotransmitters and brain electrical signals change as neurons develop a "memory' for responding to those signals.

Frequent stimulation results in a stronger brain memory, so that the brain will respond more rapidly and effectively when experiencing the same stimulation in the future.

The resulting changes in brain wiring and response are referred to as nerve plasticity (describing the ability of the brain to change easily) or central sensitization.

Thus, the brain is activated or sensitized by previous or repeated stimuli to become more excitable.The changes of central sensitization occur after repeated experiences with pain. Research in animals shows that repeated exposure to a painful stimulus will change the animal's pain threshold and result in a stronger pain response.

Researchers believe that these changes may explain the persistent pain that can occur even after successful back surgery. Although a herniated disc may be removed from a pinched nerve, pain may continue as a memory of the nerve compression.

Newborns undergoing circumcision without anesthesia will respond more profoundly to future painful stimuli, such as routine injections, vaccinations, and other painful procedures. These children have not only a greater hemodynamic response (tachycardia and tachypnea), but increased crying as well.

(Source: 'Much more at the website. Dee

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/481798

========================================

3... This one is on chronic 'back' pain but again doesn't matter where it originates... long term chronic pain affects the brain.. (I have a ton of articles about pain)

Chronic pain significantly impairs short-term memory

Two-thirds of participants who suffered with chronic pain had a difficult time paying attention and remembering simple facts.

Chronic back pain actually shrinks the gray matter of the brain - the part responsible for memory and information processing - by as much as 11 percent each year. The longer a subject had had chronic back pain, the more brain loss he suffered.

Source: http://www.losethebackpain.com/backpainandthebrain.html

=====================

4. One last one... Just a link tho and I sincerely did try to keep this short. (Doggonit) So sorry.

Neurogenic Inflammation in Chronic Pain Conditions

Mac Womens Hospital, University Hospitals of Cleveland

http://66.102.1.104/scholar?hl=en & lr= & q=cache:zRPskj1Z1AgJ:www.pelvicpain.org/pdf/Neurogenic_Inflammation.pdf+Neurogenic+Inflammation+in+Chronic+Pain+Conditions++Janicki,+M.D

(if split, copy & paste it all)

Dee

Guest guest

Dee: I especially was drawn to the sentence that says "you feel everything more intensely even the pain" . I have long racked my brain wondering WHAT do all the sufferers have in common...from wATER to Air etc... Now this feeling part I wonder. And yes I too am not saying that it is all in the head for I know differently and even with a good attitude well that does not mean to say I have it right either. just thoughts like you. And thank you for the input of the articles. hugs, ml who sent it to a friend about the statistics

awwhhh

HI Lou.. ;)

Sure glad you had a FUN day hon...sounds wonderful. Hooray for you! ;)

You know you may be more right than you suspect with attitude or the Pain/Brain connection. More and more studies coming out there IS a biological reason esp. with Chronic Pain. It's not that it's in the head so I sure don't want anyone to get riled up with the message.. *chuckle*

Not at all and of course when you have pain you are going to pull back and be extra cautious... but the brain can go thru physical changes with long term chronic pain and some studies are showing that ''cognitive behavioral therapy'' (which probably involves attitutude to some degree) is something that can help in retraining the brain.

These are just a few clips from an article about a study that dealt with the pain of IB.... but the points they made were for long term chronic pain (one mentioned was IC too) so I've no doubt it would fit any type of long term pain.

The more anxious, the more emotional somebody is, the more severe the experienced pain is.

The brain fundamentally did not show the normal, what we call adaptive response to the situation. At first glance, this seems trivial, but it confirms -- actually relates to -- a much larger body of the literature about symptom-related fears or symptom-related anxiety which seem to be play a big role in many chronic pain disorders.

Patients who have chronic pain disorders have much higher fears and anxieties related to what could happen in a given situation related to their symptoms Are your findings biological?Yes....the more we realize that every brain function, emotions, cognitions or pain response, has a biological basis.

What we saw in this study is therefore a neurobiological response that is different in patients. .......it seems the dopamine signal system in the brain is involved in its difference.

NOTE * I added this about dopamine just FYI: Dee*

(''The new research shows how much you suffer is due at least partly to a gene that helps regulate how many natural painkillers, called endorphins, your body produces. The gene produces an enzyme called COMT that metabolizes the brain chemical dopamine, which acts as a signal messenger between brain cells... Too much dopamine in the brain reduces endorphin content. In another study, they found women tolerate pain better during the time of the menstrual cycle when estrogen levels are highest.'' (Vliet says that too)

CONT...

We also look at, for example, genetic factors -- how they might predispose an individual to have this response that does not turn off the gain.

Cognitive behavioral therapies are the most effective treatments for patients who are willing to undergo it -- not general psychotherapy, not psychoanalysis, but really retraining the brain to respond differently to expected stressors, including pain.

You feel everything very intensely, including the pain," Brodsky says.

Doctors say you can re-train the brain to turn down those pain circuits, providing some relief.

Source for the above, (Keep in mind it's mostly about Irritable Bowel but the main points about the pain & the brain would be similiar 'I think' for any long term chronic pain.

http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?storyid=18824

================

I also added this one too that's similiar, just FYI...

Brain Plasticity and Central Sensitization (CLIPS ONLY )Central sensitization describes changes that occur in the brain in response to repeated nerve stimulation. Following repeated stimulation, levels of neurotransmitters and brain electrical signals change as neurons develop a "memory' for responding to those signals.

Frequent stimulation results in a stronger brain memory, so that the brain will respond more rapidly and effectively when experiencing the same stimulation in the future.

The resulting changes in brain wiring and response are referred to as nerve plasticity (describing the ability of the brain to change easily) or central sensitization.

Thus, the brain is activated or sensitized by previous or repeated stimuli to become more excitable.The changes of central sensitization occur after repeated experiences with pain. Research in animals shows that repeated exposure to a painful stimulus will change the animal's pain threshold and result in a stronger pain response.

Researchers believe that these changes may explain the persistent pain that can occur even after successful back surgery. Although a herniated disc may be removed from a pinched nerve, pain may continue as a memory of the nerve compression.

Newborns undergoing circumcision without anesthesia will respond more profoundly to future painful stimuli, such as routine injections, vaccinations, and other painful procedures. These children have not only a greater hemodynamic response (tachycardia and tachypnea), but increased crying as well.

(Source: 'Much more at the website. Dee

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/481798

========================================

3... This one is on chronic 'back' pain but again doesn't matter where it originates... long term chronic pain affects the brain.. (I have a ton of articles about pain)

Chronic pain significantly impairs short-term memory

Two-thirds of participants who suffered with chronic pain had a difficult time paying attention and remembering simple facts. Chronic back pain actually shrinks the gray matter of the brain - the part responsible for memory and information processing - by as much as 11 percent each year. The longer a subject had had chronic back pain, the more brain loss he suffered.

Source: http://www.losethebackpain.com/backpainandthebrain.html

=====================

4. One last one... Just a link tho and I sincerely did try to keep this short. (Doggonit) So sorry.

Neurogenic Inflammation in Chronic Pain Conditions

Mac Womens Hospital, University Hospitals of Cleveland

http://66.102.1.104/scholar?hl=en & lr= & q=cache:zRPskj1Z1AgJ:www.pelvicpain.org/pdf/Neurogenic_Inflammation.pdf+Neurogenic+Inflammation+in+Chronic+Pain+Conditions++Janicki,+M.D

(if split, copy & paste it all)

Dee

Guest guest

<Cognitive behavioral therapies are the most effective treatments for patients who are willing to undergo it -- not general psychotherapy, not psychoanalysis, but really retraining the brain to respond differently to expected stressors, including pain.> I use Cognitive behavioral therapy in my practice for people with chronic pain, depression, and anxiety. And guess what...IT REALLY HELPS! Lindsey

Guest guest

Thanks Lindsey for your feedback on the Cognitive behavioral therapy.

Appreciate that, and I've seen it mentioned several times in other places too for chronic pain. Do you think you could expound on it a little for the group as to just what it might entail or the basics of it? HugsDee

----- Original Message ----- From: Lindsey

<Cognitive behavioral therapies are the most effective treatments for patients who are willing to undergo it -- not general psychotherapy, not psychoanalysis, but really retraining the brain to respond differently to expected stressors, including pain.>

I use Cognitive behavioral therapy in my practice for people with chronic pain, depression, and anxiety. And guess what...IT REALLY HELPS!

Lindsey

Guest guest

I absolutely will...let me do it over the weekend when I have some time...I will even include some examples of things we can do ourselves. CBT actually changes the brain and some research says it may be as effective as antidepressants for certain issues. Lindsey

Guest guest

Lindsey, I was also going to ask you if you could give examples...thanks so much for being willing to help! ;) ~ChelleLindsey wrote: I absolutely will...let me do it over the weekend when I have some time...I will even include some examples of things we can do ourselves. CBT actually changes the brain and some research says it may be as

effective as antidepressants for certain issues. Lindsey

Guest guest

Great Lindsey.. thank you. ;)

I know pulling those sorts of things together can take time so when you can. :)

I'm sure it will benefit many of us. hugsDee

----- Original Message ----- From: Lindsey

I absolutely will...let me do it over the weekend when I have some time...I will even include some examples of things we can do ourselves. CBT actually changes the brain and some research says it may be as effective as antidepressants for certain issues.

Lindsey

Guest guest

<After reading what Dee sent, I decided to NOT get

intense about anything. hugs, ml who is willing to change and learn>

LOL I hear you ML...

Especially as you get older you realize most things aren't mountains but mole hills in the whole scheme of things, and you choose your battles that are worth fighting for or getting anxious over. :)

What's that song? "Don't worry, get happy' *grin*... and truly worry doesn't do a darn thing at all except it's an unknown projection into the future. 'what if, what if, what if?' I know it's easier said than done too but worth trying it and get into that Zen attitude and be in the 'now'. Like the fun you had when being in the moment* *grin*. On the other hand works the other way too... when in pain it's fine to cry. It's just doing what is appropriate for the moment or circumstances. Did that make sense? LOL

Ignore me, Just rambling here. :)

Hugs honDee

Guest guest

I'm in there with you, ML... *grin* I've been concentrating on Phil. 4:8...I know 'you' will appreciate that verse! I'm willing to change and 'try' to not stress out, either! Especially since it will help my overall health! ;) ~Chellemladamsgte@... wrote: After reading what Dee sent, I decided to NOT get intense about anything. hugs, ml who is willing to change and learn

Guest guest

HI Chelle, :)

Just a thought... but try Phil 4:11 too it might be an even better one.. *smile*

To be content with the 'now'. (easier said than done tho but we can try)

Big hugs honDee

----- Original Message ----- From: Chelle

I'm in there with you, ML... *grin* I've been concentrating on Phil. 4:8...I know 'you' will appreciate that verse! I'm willing to change and 'try' to not stress out, either! Especially since it will help my overall health! ;) ~Chelle

Guest guest

Dee: A friend sent me this in regards to something else. I thought it appropriate for posting regarding this situation. ml

CHAPLAIN'S CORNER.....JUNE 1, 2008

My dear brothers and sisters at the Glendale Police Department...

I wish you a blessed day in the love of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Right now I am in a plane on my way to Madison, WI to visit with our son, and his fiancée, Jenna. I am only 90 minutes out of Phoenix and I already miss you. Please be extra careful and know I am still just a phone call/email away. ()

So often we do not understand what God is doing in our life. At times it even feels like God has abandoned us. If you are a child of God, by HIS adopting you, then you can rest assured that God will never abandon one of HIS children. I like this teaching on "doors" and I hope it brings clearer understanding if you are facing a disturbing situation.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><CLOSED DOORSWe need to learn to praise the Lord as much for a closed door as we doan open door. The reason God closes doors is because He has not preparedanything over there for us. If he didn't close the wrong door, we wouldnever find the right door.God directs our path through the closing and opening of doors. Once adoor closes, it forces you to change your course. Another door closes,it forces you to change your course again. Then, finally, you find theopen door and you walk right into your blessing.The Lord directs our paths through the opening and closing of doors, butinstead of praising him for the closed door (which keeps us out oftrouble); we get upset because we "judge by the appearances."You have an ever-present help in the time of trouble that is alwaysstanding guard. Because He walks ahead of you, He can spot trouble downthe road and set up a roadblock or detour accordingly. But through ourlack of wisdom, we try to tear down the roadblocks or push aside thedetour sign. Then the minute we get into trouble, we start crying,"Lord, how could You have done this to me?"We have got to realize that the closed door can be a blessing. Didn't Hesay that no good thing would He withhold from them that love Him?If you get terminated from your job, praise God for the newopportunities that will manifest themselves: it might be another job, itmight be school.If that man or woman won't return your call, it might not be them, itmight be the Lord setting up a roadblock (just let it go).One time, a person had a bank they had been in business with for manyyears tell them "No!" to a $10,000 loan. The Lord put in their spirit tocall another bank. That bank gave them $40,000 at a lower interest ratethan the first bank was offering.We can sometimes trap ourselves in doubt and discouragement throughjudging by appearances. Be grateful for the many times our Father hasclosed doors to us just to open them in the most unexpected places.The Lord won't always say in spoken words: "Go to the left, now to theright" ...sometimes He will just close the doors that are wrong for you.God Bless You Always!-- Author Unknown

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Subject: Re: Re:Pain & the Brain... Fun day, (ML)

<After reading what Dee sent, I decided to NOT get

intense about anything. hugs, ml who is willing to change and learn>

LOL I hear you ML...

Especially as you get older you realize most things aren't mountains but mole hills in the whole scheme of things, and you choose your battles that are worth fighting for or getting anxious over. :)

What's that song? "Don't worry, get happy' *grin*... and truly worry doesn't do a darn thing at all except it's an unknown projection into the future. 'what if, what if, what if?' I know it's easier said than done too but worth trying it and get into that Zen attitude and be in the 'now'. Like the fun you had when being in the moment* *grin*. On the other hand works the other way too... when in pain it's fine to cry. It's just doing what is appropriate for the moment or circumstances. Did that make sense? LOL

Ignore me, Just rambling here. :)

Hugs honDee

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Guest guest

Thanks for sharing ML..... Hugs, Chellemladamsgte@... wrote: Dee: A friend sent me this in regards to something else. I thought it appropriate for posting regarding this situation. ml CHAPLAIN'S CORNER.....JUNE 1, 2008 My dear brothers and sisters at the

Glendale Police Department... I wish you a blessed day in the love of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Right now I am in a plane on my way to Madison, WI to visit with our son, and his fiancée, Jenna. I am only 90 minutes out of Phoenix and I already miss you. Please be extra careful and know I am still just a phone call/email away. () So often we do not understand what God is doing in our life. At times it even feels like God has abandoned us. If you are a child of God, by HIS adopting you, then you can rest assured that God will never abandon one of HIS children. I like this teaching on "doors" and I hope it brings clearer understanding if you are facing a disturbing situation. <>< <><

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><CLOSED DOORSWe need to learn to praise the Lord as much for a closed door as we doan open door. The reason God closes doors is because He has not preparedanything over there for us. If he didn't close the wrong door, we wouldnever find the right door.God directs our path through the closing and opening of doors. Once adoor closes, it forces you to change your course. Another door closes,it forces you to change your course again. Then, finally, you find theopen door and you walk right into your blessing.The Lord directs our paths through the opening and closing of doors, butinstead of praising him for the closed door (which keeps us out oftrouble); we get upset because we "judge by the

appearances."You have an ever-present help in the time of trouble that is alwaysstanding guard. Because He walks ahead of you, He can spot trouble downthe road and set up a roadblock or detour accordingly. But through ourlack of wisdom, we try to tear down the roadblocks or push aside thedetour sign. Then the minute we get into trouble, we start crying,"Lord, how could You have done this to me?"We have got to realize that the closed door can be a blessing. Didn't Hesay that no good thing would He withhold from them that love Him?If you get terminated from your job, praise God for the newopportunities that will manifest themselves: it might be another job, itmight be school.If that man or woman won't return your call, it might not be them, itmight be the Lord setting up a roadblock (just let it go).One time, a person had a bank they had been in business with for manyyears tell them

"No!" to a $10,000 loan. The Lord put in their spirit tocall another bank. That bank gave them $40,000 at a lower interest ratethan the first bank was offering.We can sometimes trap ourselves in doubt and discouragement throughjudging by appearances. Be grateful for the many times our Father hasclosed doors to us just to open them in the most unexpected places.The Lord won't always say in spoken words: "Go to the left, now to theright" ...sometimes He will just close the doors that are wrong for you.God Bless You Always!-- Author Unknown