RemedySpot.com

Tips for Vulvar Skin Care

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

These tips are from Dr. Libby who is a Dermatologist down in Charlotte, NC who treats Vulvar pain patients. These irritants are not causing your symptoms, but they could be making them worse. As a woman with a history of vulvar symptoms, you should follow these guidelines to prevent flares -- even when you are feeling well. After your symptoms are under control, you can restart any habits that are important to you... ~Wash the vulva no more than once a day, using water only; do not use a washcloth but only soft fingertips. ~Avoid soap, douches, powders, over the counter medications (especially Vagisil) on this area. ~If any topical medications produce burning,

stop using them and call your provider. ~Do not use panty liners, especially the brand "Always." ~With periods, use tampons rather than pads if possible. ~Prevent constipation by adding fiber to your diet; an easy solution is one or two large helpings of a very high fiber cereal such as All Bran or All Bran Extra, with large amounts of fluid. If necessary, use a psyllium product such as Metamucil with several large glasses of fluid daily. ~Apply ice, frozen peas or a frozen blue gel pack (lunch box size) wrapped in a hand towel to relieve burning. But, be careful not to overdo, since frostbite is a real possibility. ~Use a lubricant with sexual activity. Women with vaginal symptoms tend to be dry. (isn't that the truth, Chelle) Astroglide, Slippery

Stuff, or vegetable oil (not K-Y) are good choices for a lubricant. (I personally like Femglide (note: Femglide is no longer available, but Slippery Stuff (blue label is the same thing). Some women perfer Emu Oil, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, and even Crisco (yes! Crisco;) ~Chelle) ~Try applying A LOT of topical anesthetic (Xylocaine, lidocaine - NOT vagisil) 30 minutes before sexual activity if sexual activity is painful for you. ~Contraceptive creams or spermicides, and latex condoms can be irritating. ._,_.___

Guest guest

Hi, I'd like to point out that Astroglide contains " Glycerine " , which

is a form of SUGAR.

I would be very careful about putting SUGAR in my vagina.

p.s. I use Slippery Stuff with no problems.

>

>

>

>

> ~Use a lubricant with sexual activity. Women with vaginal

symptoms tend to be dry. (isn't that the truth, Chelle) Astroglide,

Slippery Stuff, or vegetable oil (not K-Y) are good choices for a

lubricant. (I personally like Femglide (note: Femglide is no longer

available, but Slippery Stuff (blue label is the same thing). Some

women perfer Emu Oil, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, and even Crisco (yes!

Crisco;) ~Chelle)

>

>