RemedySpot.com

Dr. Vliet on Hormones. on Chronic fatigue.Fibro, weight gain, etc.. .

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thought this might be of interest. ;)

Q & A on Hormones from Dr. Eliz. Vliet.Dee

QUESTION from Marie:

"I have been a runner most of my adult life and it has always made me feel so energetic. But lately when I run, my body feels very sluggish--like I'm moving in quicksand. Could this be hormonal, since I'm in my perimenopausal years?"

Marie from California Dr. Vliet's ANSWER:Your hormone hunch is correct! When a woman goes through perimenopause, she begins to have hormonal changes that can affect her sense of 'well-being'. Early effects of estradiol decline usually manifest as restless sleep, fatigue, and middle-body weight gain, often long before we have a hot flash! As you experience the 'lows and slows' of perimenopause, remember hormonal changes-especially declining estradiol-are the main culprits for making you feel sluggish.Many hormone changes that occur at midlife -declining estradiol and testosterone, increasing levels of other male hormones, diminished thyroid function, increased insulin with insulin resistance, increasing cortisol-are contributors to our loss of "vitality" and "zest". Estradiol and testosterone in particular have significant activating or stimulating effects on energy level as well as our metabolism. Losing your optimal levels of these key metabolic hormones makes you feel more tired, slows down your metabolism, and contributes to weight gain that in turn makes you more tired!Furthermore, declining estradiol, particularly if DHEA is high, causes restless, fragmented sleep along with reduced Stage IV deep sleep that is needed for muscle repair at night. Loss of sleep contributes to daytime tiredness and low energy, plus sore muscles that get mistakenly diagnosed as "fibromyalgia." It's a vicious cycle that leaves you feeling exhausted and run down.Be sure to tune in to my Blog Talk Radio Show on Monday, June 23rd, when I will elaborate more on the hormonal causes of fatigue. I will also discuss overlooked hormone factors in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, a condition that affects far more women than men. And, I'll review the hormone tests I recommend and the optimal levels needed to help you get your 'runner's high' back! Be sure to call in Monday, June 23rd, at 9:00 PM Eastern, (8:00 PM Cen, 7:00 PM Mtn and 6:00 PM Pac) with your questions! Dr.. Vliet

© Lee Vliet, MD, June, 2008

Spread the word to your friends-----and if you can't listen Monday night live, then click on the URL below and listen on your computer anytime, anywhere!

www.BlogTalkRadio.com/drvliet

or

www.herplace.com