RemedySpot.com

Info on Lichen Planus

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Here is some good info on Lichen Planus written by one of our members, Melinda. ~Chellespanishmiss430 wrote: Chelle,Lichen Planus...I don't know how much everyone knows so hopefully this won't be too basic. Most of this info. is off handouts from my drs. office.It's an autoimmune skin condition that can affect various mucous membranes (often affects the gums and/or the vulva). Sometimes it is confused with LS; biopsy can help differentiate but is not always accurate and treatment may be the same anyway. Vulvar LP is one of the most difficult to treat and one of the rarest of vulvar skin conditions. Of the 1% of women who have a vulvar skin condition, only 1/4 of those have LP (most have LS). Generally, symptoms are burning, rawness, itching, and

painful intercourse, as well as a yellowish discharge (indicating vaginal inflammation). In my case, I had no burning or itching, but had painful intercourse and yellow discharge. I thought this was normal. Many doctors think women with LP have yeast infections (mine all did) because of the inflammation and discharge. Skin will often show erosions or white patterns similar to LS (I never had this either). Unfortunately, LP does often cause fusing/atrophy of the labia and vaginal opening, as well as the clitoral hood. I have lost most of my inner labia to this, but thankfully do not yet have vaginal atrophy and am keeping my vagina open with dilators and frequent lubrication use. Treatment recommended will be similar to LS - topical steroids, usually, and sometimes steroid suppositories for the vagina, as LP notoriously affects the vulva and vagina, where LS only usually affects the vulva and sometimes anal areas. LP

is ofetn resistant to topical steroids and many patients end up taking steroid injections or potent oral immunosuppressants (like those give to organ transplant recipients).Interesting side note - LP is noted to crop up as a reaction to a huge number of drugs and vaccines. Mine began shortly after the Hep. B vaccines series and starting birth control pills. Hope this info. helps...it really is a terrible disease and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The more people know about it, the better...if I had known about it, I wouldn't have gotten to a point where I was this bad off before I sought help! Melinda

Guest guest

Hi Melinda:

I suffer from LP and it can drive you nuts. I treat with the steroids cream and suppositories. My question to you is what is LS?

Thanks

Pam

Reply-To: VulvarDisorders To: VulvarDisorders Subject: Info on Lichen PlanusDate: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:26:27 -0700 (PDT)

Here is some good info on Lichen Planus written by one of our members, Melinda. ~Chellespanishmiss430 <spanishmiss430 (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Chelle,Lichen Planus...I don't know how much everyone knows so hopefully this won't be too basic. Most of this info. is off handouts from my drs. office.It's an autoimmune skin condition that can affect various mucous membranes (often affects the gums and/or the vulva). Sometimes it is confused with LS; biopsy can help differentiate but is not always accurate and treatment may be the same anyway. Vulvar LP is one of the most difficult to treat and one of the rarest of vulvar skin conditions. Of the 1% of women who have a vulvar skin condition, only 1/4 of those have LP (most have LS). Generally, symptoms are burning, rawness, itching, and painful intercourse, as well as a yellowish discharge (indicating vaginal inflammation). In my case, I had no burning or itching, but had painful intercourse and yellow discharge. I thought this was normal. Many doctors think women with LP have yeast infections (mine all did) because of the inflammation and discharge. Skin will often show erosions or white patterns similar to LS (I never had this either). Unfortunately, LP does often cause fusing/atrophy of the labia and vaginal opening, as well as the clitoral hood. I have lost most of my inner labia to this, but thankfully do not yet have vaginal atrophy and am keeping my vagina open with dilators and frequent lubrication use. Treatment recommended will be similar to LS - topical steroids, usually, and sometimes steroid suppositories for the vagina, as LP notoriously affects the vulva and vagina, where LS only usually affects the vulva and sometimes anal areas. LP is ofetn resistant to topical steroids and many patients end up taking steroid injections or potent oral immunosuppressants (like those give to organ transplant recipients).Interesting side note - LP is noted to crop up as a reaction to a huge number of drugs and vaccines. Mine began shortly after the Hep. B vaccines series and starting birth control pills. Hope this info. helps...it really is a terrible disease and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The more people know about it, the better...if I had known about it, I wouldn't have gotten to a point where I was this bad off before I sought help! Melinda

Guest guest

Can you tell me how that is different from LP and how it is treated?

Thanks

Reply-To: VulvarDisorders To: VulvarDisorders Subject: RE: Info on Lichen PlanusDate: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:53:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Pam,LS stands for Lichen Scloerosis. ~Chellepam ayers <dittojt (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Hi Melinda:

My question to you is what is LS?