RemedySpot.com

Vitamin D deficiency/Ledger/Gluten

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

As I recall, last week, somebody said that Dr. Ledger said that her patients got

better with a gluten free diet together with vitamin D supplementation?

Gluten sensitivity causes one to be deficient in vitamin D and if one is

sensitive to it there is little hope that this problem will be solved by just

Vitamin D supplements. People are deficient in certain vitamins, etc., because

there is damage to the small intestine where the enzymes are produced that help

one to digest food correctly unless they are so terribly malnourished they are

starving themselves to death. If one is seriously deficient in vitamin D there

is a serious reason other than the fact that one isn't in the sun very often I

wager.

Arline

Guest guest

Arline: It was Dr. Peacocke, not Dr. Ledger (who is a much more conservation GYN) who recommended the Vitamin D and said there was a link to gluten intolerance. I should have mentioned in my message that she also told me to go on a gluten-free diet. I do not have celiac but I guess there are all sorts of shades to the allergy. The deficency also has alot to do with the meds (large doses of Protonix) that I was taking.

Subject: Vitamin D deficiency/Ledger/GlutenTo: VulvarDisorders Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 5:36 PM

As I recall, last week, somebody said that Dr. Ledger said that her patients got better with a gluten free diet together with vitamin D supplementation?Gluten sensitivity causes one to be deficient in vitamin D and if one is sensitive to it there is little hope that this problem will be solved by just Vitamin D supplements. People are deficient in certain vitamins, etc., because there is damage to the small intestine where the enzymes are produced that help one to digest food correctly unless they are so terribly malnourished they are starving themselves to death. If one is seriously deficient in vitamin D there is a serious reason other than the fact that one isn't in the sun very often I wager.Arline

Guest guest

Janice,

Yes, I mispoke and realized that it was Dr. Peacock. Thanks for the correction. LOL

It is very hard to get a correct diagnosis for Celiac through the blood tests. You are right. There are different shades to the gluten autoimmune diseases.

Be well.

Arline

Subject: Re: Vitamin D deficiency/Ledger/GlutenTo: VulvarDisorders Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 3:34 PM

Arline: It was Dr. Peacocke, not Dr. Ledger (who is a much more conservation GYN) who recommended the Vitamin D and said there was a link to gluten intolerance. I should have mentioned in my message that she also told me to go on a gluten-free diet. I do not have celiac but I guess there are all sorts of shades to the allergy. The deficency also has alot to do with the meds (large doses of Protonix) that I was taking.

Subject: Vitamin D deficiency/Ledger/GlutenTo: VulvarDisorders Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 5:36 PM

As I recall, last week, somebody said that Dr. Ledger said that her patients got better with a gluten free diet together with vitamin D supplementation?Gluten sensitivity causes one to be deficient in vitamin D and if one is sensitive to it there is little hope that this problem will be solved by just Vitamin D supplements. People are deficient in certain vitamins, etc., because there is damage to the small intestine where the enzymes are produced that help one to digest food correctly unless they are so terribly malnourished they are starving themselves to death. If one is seriously deficient in vitamin D there is a serious reason other than the fact that one isn't in the sun very often I wager.Arline

Guest guest

What a coincidence that you are all discussing Vitamin D. My 18 year old daughter just had test run and she was low on Vitamin D. What is interesting to me is that she hates the outdoors. She never hangs out outside and we have a swimming pool! She is a basement dweller, draws, paints, hangs out on the computer. They say lack of sunlight can be a cause of low vitamin D.

BlueeberriGet fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

Guest guest

Are you saying that Vitamin D deficiency has a lot to do with the meds? I live on Prevacid and was wondering if that is why I am Vitamin D deficient. Do you know what other drugs can cause that?

Sherri

Guest guest

Since proton inhibitors inhibit acid production, which helps to digest food, it

seems natural that it would cause vitamin and mineral deficiencies as less food

is digested.

I was having a lot of GERD (I guess that is what they call it), coughing,

postnasal drip, pain in esophagus, terrible burning, reflux, etc. None of the

meds for this helped at all (prevacid, sprays, etc.)and finally one day I took

an antihistamine and the pain stopped. So I figured it was an allergy of some

kind and started trying to find out what was causing it. It turned out that

pepper, in fact any kind of pepper or peppers did it. I am wondering if the

other nightshade foods may also turn out to be a problem as the other day I was

eating a new tomato from my garden and my throat burned so much. Usually I don't

eat them alone.

I will do anything to avoid taking medication if I can--especially if it is

really unhealthy and especially if it doesn't seem to do much good.

Lately I have observed that pediatricians are almost enmasse putting babies on

Zantac, etc. instead of recommending a formula or milk change. The first time I

heard it from a Nanny friend I have I was horrified. Even breast milk if the

mother is eating something the baby is sensitive to will cause reflux.

Anyway, FYI, to anybody who is feeding a baby, there is a wonderful baby formula

that is non allergenic, where the proteins are split so the baby cannot react to

the potential allergen (like cow's milk or soy). It is horribly

expensive--called Neocate--you need to ask a pharmacist to get it for you

although it is non prescription or you can sometimes get it cheaper on the

internet. I am dying of curiosity about why the pediatricians don't suggest to

the mothers that they buy Neocate to solve their baby's acid problem instead of

prescribing dangerous drugs to them. One might well ask. In fact why don't most

people know about this wonderful product. I suspect a lot of pediatricians put

their own babies on it.

Strange that our babies get two of the most nasty allergen proteins in their

formulas as standard equipment--cow's milk and soy.

One can ask oneself why she is vitamin D deficient and come to the conclusion

that it is because of proton inhibitors (or other meds). Perhaps going one step

further and trying to figure out what is causing the acid reflux or other

symptoms is called for.

But I hate medicine, think it largely is destructive and dangerous and will

spend lots of time trying to avoid taking it if I can find a way not to take it.

Arline

Guest guest

Interesting note I think. The Eskimos get all the vitamin D they need from the fish oil they eat. Guess all that blubber stands them in good stead since they seldom see much sunlight. Whale blubber anybody? At least until the oceans are completely dead.

Arline

Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 11:02 PM

What a coincidence that you are all discussing Vitamin D. My 18 year old daughter just had test run and she was low on Vitamin D. What is interesting to me is that she hates the outdoors. She never hangs out outside and we have a swimming pool! She is a basement dweller, draws, paints, hangs out on the computer. They say lack of sunlight can be a cause of low vitamin D.

Blueeberri

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.