RemedySpot.com

Re: Elavil starting dosage?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

ten is the usual start dose. you can work up. i could not do it. it is an

older safe drug. bless her for giving you the lidocaine. mine would not.

love. ml who hates it when they ssy I dont treat with that

I hate when doctors say that, its like just let me try, there's no harm in doing so plus one may benefit from it. You couldn't tolerate Elavil, due to the side effects?

RE: Elavil starting dosage?

ten is the usual start dose. you can work up. i could not do it. it is an

older safe drug. bless her for giving you the lidocaine. mine would not.

love. ml who hates it when they ssy I dont treat with that

Looking for spoilers and reviews on the new TV season? Get AOL's ultimate guide to fall TV.

Hey ,

I was given a Rx for it back in April when I saw Libby . I decided not to try it...but she told me to cut the dose of 10 mg in half and start with 5 and up it slowly 5 to 10 mg's at a time. I have a hard time with systemic meds and just try to limit them.

Hang in there...

Chelle

Yeah, I'm leary about taking it because I don't want to feel loopy....hopefully it works out fine and the Elavil helps calm down my nerves. Maybe I won't be so high strung all the time, hehe...my boyfriend would love that. I strongly need to work on, picking and choosing my battles because I'll let everything bother me. I know that doesn't help my nerves when I'm stressing out and yelling.

Hey ,

I was given a Rx for it back in April when I saw Libby . I decided not to try it...but she told me to cut the dose of 10 mg in half and start with 5 and up it slowly 5 to 10 mg's at a time. I have a hard time with systemic meds and just try to limit them.

Hang in there...

Chelle

Looking for spoilers and reviews on the new TV season? Get AOL's ultimate guide to fall TV.

Hi,

I am using Elavil right now and started at 10 mg at night and worked up to 20 mg. I have noticed a decrease in pain but am also taking one Allegra every morning on an empty stomach, low oxalate diet (i also decided to elimiate gluten too on my own), calcium citrate after big meals and no sex. My doctor believe's that this combination of therapy will help. Like you, I was very nervous about taking the antidepressent and did not want to do it at all but I figured I had to try it. I am glad I did and after 2 months of 20 mg. we are talking about weening me off. I hope this offers some encouragement.

Good luck!

I saw an out of town OBGYN Dr.Slack for the first time yesterday, and she prescribed me Elavil 10 mg at night. She also insisted I use Lidocaine 2x a day to calm the nerves. I go see her again on Oct.10th

for a follow-up to check how I'm doing and if she needs to up the dosage. For the women who take or who have taken Elavil, does this seem dosage seem correct? If so, how long and up to what dosage should I

work up to?Honestly, I'm nervous about taking an antidepressant because I've never been prescribed any meds to take orally to treat VVS until now. It'll be a year next month, since I was diagnosed and I feel like I've been

put through the wringer....as you all can relate.

Thanks, that is encouraging to hear and I appreciate you chiming in. I want to incorporate calcium citrate in combination with what I'm already doing now, which is topical estradiol compunded in emu oil (6 o' clock area) and claritin on a as needed basis...going to start taking it everyday. What brand of calcium citrate do you use, how much and how many times a day?

Hi,

I am using Elavil right now and started at 10 mg at night and worked up to 20 mg. I have noticed a decrease in pain but am also taking one Allegra every morning on an empty stomach, low oxalate diet (i also decided to elimiate gluten too on my own), calcium citrate after big meals and no sex. My doctor believe's that this combination of therapy will help. Like you, I was very nervous about taking the antidepressent and did not want to do it at all but I figured I had to try it. I am glad I did and after 2 months of 20 mg. we are talking about weening me off. I hope this offers some encouragement.

Good luck!

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:46 PM, bayareaprincess23 <caliprincess2369 (AT) aol (DOT) com> wrote:

I saw an out of town OBGYN Dr.Slack for the first time yesterday, and

she prescribed me Elavil 10 mg at night. She also insisted I use

Lidocaine 2x a day to calm the nerves. I go see her again on Oct.10th

for a follow-up to check how I'm doing and if she needs to up the

dosage. For the women who take or who have taken Elavil, does this seem

dosage seem correct? If so, how long and up to what dosage should I

work up to?

Honestly, I'm nervous about taking an antidepressant because I've never

been prescribed any meds to take orally to treat VVS until now. It'll

be a year next month, since I was diagnosed and I feel like I've been

Hi ,

I believe I use Citrical (will have to check when I get home) but make sure it has magnesium in it too or you will have constipation. I take (2) tablets after every bigger sized meals. So sometimes it can be after lunch or dinner or both. My doctor said just to take it after big meals which sounds very general but I just use my best judgement. My doc was also very clear about taking the Allegra (antihistamine) on an empty stomach in the morning and told me to wait at least an hour before eating after taking it so it could be absorbed into my system. In the beginning I was also taking sitz bath's which helped temporarily.

,Thanks, that is encouraging to hear and I appreciate you chiming in. I want to incorporate calcium citrate in combination with what I'm already doing now, which is topical estradiol compunded in emu oil (6 o' clock area) and claritin on a as needed basis...going to start taking it everyday. What brand of calcium citrate do you use, how much and how many times a day?

** Re: Elavil starting dosage?

Hi,

Good luck!

I saw an out of town OBGYN Dr.Slack for the first time yesterday, and she prescribed me Elavil 10 mg at night. She also insisted I use Lidocaine 2x a day to calm the nerves. I go see her again on Oct.10th

for a follow-up to check how I'm doing and if she needs to up the dosage. For the women who take or who have taken Elavil, does this seem dosage seem correct? If so, how long and up to what dosage should I

work up to?Honestly, I'm nervous about taking an antidepressant because I've never been prescribed any meds to take orally to treat VVS until now. It'll be a year next month, since I was diagnosed and I feel like I've been

For pain a starting dose is around 10 mg. Just an FYI, for depression the starting dose is 75 mg and I think you can work up to 150-200 mg. So at 10 mg hopefully you will be protected from the side effects.

Lindsey

Thanks!

For pain a starting dose is around 10 mg. Just an FYI, for depression the starting dose is 75 mg and I think you can work up to 150-200 mg. So at 10 mg hopefully you will be protected from the side effects.

Lindsey

Thanks Lindsey. How are things going with you and your hubby trying to conceive? I think about you from time to time and wish you luck!

Lindsey

I have Gillham's Natural Calm Plus Calcium, is that similar to calcium citrate do you know or totally different? It is a magnesium calcium combo that is powder based.

When in a flare-up sometimes I take Aveeno sitz baths, which helps a little bit.

Hi,

Good luck!

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:46 PM, bayareaprincess23 <caliprincess2369 (AT) aol (DOT) com> wrote:

work up to?

I think the dosage sounds spot on from my experience. I take my elavil as early as possible in the evening (by 7P) if I expect to wake up and be functioning in the AM. Your mileage may vary. Best of luck!**************Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com. (http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)

Lindsey

Congrats to you! Wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy. I am on my count down. I will be 33 weeks on Monday! Best Wishes!

Debbie

Subject: Re: Elavil starting dosage?To: VulvarDisorders Date: Thursday, September 11, 2008, 11:02 AM

I'm 11 weeks preggers. :-) And I feel great.

Lindsey

Yay, thats wondeful to hear. Congrats!

I'm 11 weeks preggers. :-) And I feel great.

Lindsey

• 4 weeks later...

saw your reply and thought i'd update you in the event the elavil isn't working for you. i was up to 120mg elavil and 1800 mg neurontin. Thou it was much better then before the medication, it still wasn't good and like i said before the side effects where many and really bad. so now, i'm down to 45 mg elavil and up to 60 mg of cymbalta. i haven't taken the neurontin in 1-1/2 weeks. First time i've been able to get off that stuff, which has equally as bad side effects as the elavil. Anyway, it's a slow weening process off the elavil and onto the cymbalta, but so far so good. I still have burning but better then it was at the high doses of elavil and neurontin. It will probably be 4-6 more weeks til i'm onto only the cymbalta and the elavil is out of my system, so until then i can't tell you if the cymbalta alone

will do the trick. don't want to get my hopes up, but my gut says it's working better then the first two meds. So though this might interest you in case you needed it. the more info we have the better we can deal with this crap. i'm coming back in my next life as a man. All they have to worry about is weather it gets hard or not, and if it doesn't, they just pop a little blue pill and they're good to go. anyway, good luck.

Subject: Elavil starting dosage?

To: VulvarDisorders@ yahoogroups. com

Date: Wednesday, September 10, 2008, 11:46 AM

work up to?

Thanks for the update! I'm currently still taking 10mg at night, I had a follow-up last Friday and the on-call doctor told me to continue taking 10mg for another month. I asked her if she would write a Rx for 25mg instead and she agreed. I only have a couple 10mg pills left, then I'll most likely start on the 25mg at night. Thus far, I haven't noticed any side effects, probably because I'm ONLY on 10mg. What do you think? When your completely off the Elavil and Neurontin, I hope Cymbalta does the trick for you...let me know how it goes, good luck!

Elavil starting dosage?

work up to?

McCain or Obama? Stay updated on coverage of the Presidential race while you browse - Download Now!

thanks . i'm really really hoping this is gonna work. a lot of days i wonder. but that's what this is, trial and error until we figure this out. anyway, i'll let you know how it goes and i wish you lots of luck with your elavil. sounds though like we have similar as far as the burning, but mine isn't just on contact, it's anytime, all the time. also mine doesn't just feel like it's burning, it's actually hot to the touch. I mean i could heat up a room if i opened my legs. Which many times isn't even by choice because I can't put my legs together sometimes because it holds in the heat and burns worse, even with the meds. So i just have to laugh about it or it will make me insane. So I'm curious though, when you have a chance, let me know if your pain or burning is any better at the 10 mg for you

or what dose you do notice improvement. i'd like to be able to compare with mine so i know if i was at a high, average, low dose of others with this problem. some drs say i was on a high dose others say i was on an average dose for this burning. who do you believe. the drs don't know cause they don't have this problem. better to learn from someone with the same problem.anyway, thanks for listening. good luck and have a great weekend!!!

Subject: Elavil starting dosage?

work up to?

McCain or Obama? Stay updated on coverage of the Presidential race while you browse - Download Now!

You too and I'll keep in touch.

~~

Elavil starting dosage?

work up to?

I was relieved to find someone else who is suffering from the extreme burning....I keep hearing about "pain", but my symptoms are more horrific burning and a feeling of rawness. At the present I am taking 25 mg. of nortiptyline, but I think I am going to have to go higher as I am getting little relief. Some days I can barely make it through the day and find myself weeping alot. Of course, it doesn't help that I have to sit most of the day at work.

Janice

From: bayareaprincess23 <caliprincess2369@ aol.com>Subject: Elavil starting dosage?To: VulvarDisorders@ yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, September 10, 2008, 11:46 AM

I saw an out of town OBGYN Dr.Slack for the first time yesterday, and she prescribed me Elavil 10 mg at night. She also insisted I use Lidocaine 2x a day to calm the nerves. I go see her again on Oct.10th for a follow-up to check how I'm doing and if she needs to up the dosage. For the women who take or who have taken Elavil, does this seem dosage seem correct? If so, how long and up to what dosage should I work up to?Honestly, I'm nervous about taking an antidepressant because I've never been prescribed any meds to take orally to treat VVS until now. It'll be a year next month, since I was diagnosed and I feel like I've been put through the wringer....as you all can relate.

I also had the extreme burning feeling. I had to quit my job because I couldn't

sit for very long. Now, ten years later I am free of pain most of the time and

when I get a flare it is not very painful and does not last very long. My story

can be found at:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/VulvarDisorders/files/

Click on the Success stories.

I went on the Low Oxalate diet and as a result I now am able to avoid most foods

that cause me to have flares. Some of them are high oxalate but not all of

them. But I do know which foods to avoid.

Ora

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:22:31 -0700 (PDT), Janice Rudd dotbus123@...>

wrote:

>I was relieved to find someone else who is suffering from the extreme

burning....I keep hearing about " pain " , but my symptoms are more horrific

burning and a feeling of rawness.  At the present I am taking 25 mg. of

nortiptyline, but I think I am going to have to go higher as I am getting little

relief.  Some days I can barely make it through the day and find myself weeping

alot.  Of course, it doesn't help that I have to sit most of the day at work. 

> 

>Janice

>

hey Janice,i hear you on the sitting all day thing being uncomfortable. plus i've gained weight from these meds so my pants are all too tight which just adds to the discomfrt. we need to talk. i haven't come across anyone with the burning like me either. even with lots of meds it's still far from good. but without the meds, it's truly intolerable. the 1st 3 months before i started meds i felt like i was cooking from the inside out. it also was in my whole body which they can't explain. however it's definitely was the worsed down there. i am now gonna start looking for natural options. i've had good luck in the past with vitamin & minerals so what the heck, i'll try that. now i have to find out what i should be trying. but of course it will be more trial and error and lots of time,

but i have to do something.10/10/08, Janice Rudd wrote:Subject: Re: Elavil starting dosage?To: VulvarDisorders Date: Friday, October 10, 2008, 4:22 PM

I was relieved to find someone else who is suffering from the extreme burning....I keep hearing about "pain", but my symptoms are more horrific burning and a feeling of rawness. At the present I am taking 25 mg. of nortiptyline, but I think I am going to have to go higher as I am getting little relief. Some days I can barely make it through the day and find myself weeping alot. Of course, it doesn't help that I have to sit most of the day at work.

Janice

From: bayareaprincess23 <caliprincess2369@ aol.com>Subject: Elavil starting dosage?To: VulvarDisorders@ yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, September 10, 2008, 11:46 AM

I saw an out of town OBGYN Dr.Slack for the first time yesterday, and she prescribed me Elavil 10 mg at night. She also insisted I use Lidocaine 2x a day to calm the nerves. I go see her again on Oct.10th for a follow-up to check how I'm doing and if she needs to up the dosage. For the women who take or who have taken Elavil, does this seem dosage seem correct? If so, how long and up to what dosage should I work up to?Honestly, I'm nervous about taking an antidepressant because I've never been prescribed any meds to take orally to treat VVS until now. It'll be a year next month, since I was diagnosed and I feel like I've been put through the wringer....as you all can relate.