RemedySpot.com

Fw: What's new for 'vulvodynia' in pubmed

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Subject: What's new for 'vulvodynia' in pubmedTo: pletchsr@...Date: Saturday, August 2, 2008, 4:50 PM

This message contains My NCBI what's new results from the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) at the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM).Do not reply directly to this message.

Sender's message: Search: vulvodyniaSent on Saturday, 2008 Aug 02Search vulvodyniaClick here to view complete results in pubmed. (Results may change over time.)

Guest guest

<Vulvodynia as a somatoform disorder.J Reprod Med. 2008 Jun;53(6):390- 6. PMID: 18664054 [PubMed - in process]>

I just read this article. Somatoform means psychological. I find it interesting that Dr. Lynch ( pjlynch@... if anybody is interested) is not a psychiatrist but a dermatologist, and yet he is saying that,

"This review summarizes the evidence supporting the somatoform hypothesis and concludes that psychosocial factors may be the primary factor responsible for chronic "idiopathic" anogenital pain in both men and women. Moreover, since current treatment for vulvodynia is controversial and only partially effective, the therapeutic implications of a somatoform etiology are of considerable importance."

Basically that it's psychological. Ahem...shouldn't a psychologist or a psychiatrist do this type of research, vs. a dermatologist that perhaps got frustrated with female clients with vulvar pain so he very scientifically says that "it's all in your head, honey."

It's also ironic that this guy is head of the program at UC -the same UC that under-treated my initial yeast infections and caused my vulvodynia. I'm considering e-mailing this quack and I hope some of you will also e-mail him. It's a bit risky for me for two reasons. One is that my mother-in-law is a doc there and our last names are the same and it's a fairly unique last name. The other is that while it's a huge hospital I do work in mental health in the same community and we often collaborate with UC . This guy seems to fancy himself a pseudopsychiatrist and there have been conferences where our paths might cross. Sadly, I "only" have a master's degree so I'm fairly outgunned academically.

Lindse6y

Guest guest

A doc named Gershon said the following:

"Where primitive peoples used a variety of gods to explain the inexplicable, modern humans use psychiatric illness. When all else fails, invoke a psychoneurosis".

(and they do--often but we don't have to believe them).

Hippocrates wrote a book on "The Sacred Disease" and said that even though the cause of something is not known there is no reason to attribute it to a supernatural origin as the cause would someday be known.

It is maddening to me for somebody who isn't really qualified (or smart enough in my mind to do so) to determine or suggest that it really is in one's mind. I am afraid this happens all the time to people.

I am glad you brought this up, .

Arline

<Vulvodynia as a somatoform disorder.J Reprod Med. 2008 Jun;53(6):390- 6. PMID: 18664054 [PubMed - in process]>

I just read this article. Somatoform means psychological. I find it interesting that Dr. Lynch ( pjlynch@... if anybody is interested) is not a psychiatrist but a dermatologist, and yet he is saying that,

"This review summarizes the evidence supporting the somatoform hypothesis and concludes that psychosocial factors may be the primary factor responsible for chronic "idiopathic" anogenital pain in both men and women. Moreover, since current treatment for vulvodynia is controversial and only partially effective, the therapeutic implications of a somatoform etiology are of considerable importance."

Basically that it's psychological. Ahem...shouldn't a psychologist or a psychiatrist do this type of research, vs. a dermatologist that perhaps got frustrated with female clients with vulvar pain so he very scientifically says that "it's all in your head, honey."

It's also ironic that this guy is head of the program at UC -the same UC that under-treated my initial yeast infections and caused my vulvodynia. I'm considering e-mailing this quack and I hope some of you will also e-mail him. It's a bit risky for me for two reasons. One is that my mother-in-law is a doc there and our last names are the same and it's a fairly unique last name. The other is that while it's a huge hospital I do work in mental health in the same community and we often collaborate with UC . This guy seems to fancy himself a pseudopsychiatrist and there have been conferences where our paths might cross. Sadly, I "only" have a master's degree so I'm fairly outgunned academically.

• 3 weeks later...

Subject: What's new for 'vulvodynia' in pubmedTo: pletchsr@...Date: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 4:00 PM

This message contains My NCBI what's new results from the

National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI)

at the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM).

Do not reply directly to this message.

Sender's message:

Search: vulvodynia

Sent on Saturday, 2008 Aug 23

Search vulvodyniaClick here to view complete results in pubmed. (Results may change over time.)

• 2 months later...

Subject: What's new for 'vulvodynia' in pubmedTo: pletchsr@...Date: Saturday, November 8, 2008, 5:10 PM

Sender's message:

Sent on Saturday, 2008 Nov 08

Search vulvodyniaClick here to view complete results in pubmed. (Results may change over time.)

• 1 month later...

Vulvodynia is a poorly understood chronic pain condition, and patients who are refractory to standard therapies often pose a therapeutic dilemma. Current treatment modalities include antidepressants, anticonvulsants, biofeedback, pelvic floor physical therapy, and surgery; however, the options are limited for patients who fail to respond to these treatments. We present a case of refractory vulvodynia with severe dyspareunia successfully managed with a novel therapeutic approach combining botulinum toxin A and surgery. PERSPECTIVE: The authors present a case of refractory vulvodynia that was successfully managed with a novel approach that combined botulinum toxin A and surgery. Copyright 2004 American Pain Society

wonder what surgery they are referring to?

C

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

Subject: What's new for 'vulvodynia' in pubmedTo: pletchsr@...Date: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 4:05 PM

Sender's message:

Sent on Saturday, 2008 Dec 20

A friend of mine tried Botox for her pelvic floor muscles and she did not have good results. It took her about 5 months to recover from what happened. She also told me that it is not FDA approved for pelvic floor issues, bowel issues, and bladder issues.

Kristy :)

Subject: Re: Fw: What's new for 'vulvodynia' in pubmedTo: VulvarDisorders Date: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 11:39 PM

Vulvodynia is a poorly understood chronic pain condition, and patients who are refractory to standard therapies often pose a therapeutic dilemma. Current treatment modalities include antidepressants, anticonvulsants, biofeedback, pelvic floor physical therapy, and surgery; however, the options are limited for patients who fail to respond to these treatments. We present a case of refractory vulvodynia with severe dyspareunia successfully managed with a novel therapeutic approach combining botulinum toxin A and surgery. PERSPECTIVE: The authors present a case of refractory vulvodynia that was successfully managed with a novel approach that combined botulinum toxin A and surgery. Copyright 2004 American Pain Society

C

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

Aww Tina, so sorry for your loss. I know exactly how it around the holidays especially because I lost my dad last year and my sister 4 years ago:(

Hope the memories of the good times and knowing she is in a MUCH better place now, will pull u thru this holiday season

COne site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

I just had a Botox injection as well last month and have not had any kind of positive result. The injection hurt like hell and it didn't mask my pain afterwards; still the same Don't know my next move, depressed, angry and holiday season is hard to say the least (lost my mom five years ago)

Tina.

Re: Fw: What's new for 'vulvodynia' in pubmedTo: VulvarDisorders Date: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 11:39 PM

C

Tina,

My friend that went thru the Botox injection did not have it done with her awake. They put her under to do the block, but it didn't help her at all as I said.

She is going back to PT for the pelvic floor after having done it before for a little over 2 years.

I am sorry to hear about your mom and that things are rough for you right now. I hope you get an answer soon.

((((Hugs)))),

Kristy :)

From: Carolyn52192@ aol.com <Carolyn52192@ aol.com>Subject: Re: Fw: What's new for 'vulvodynia' in pubmedTo: VulvarDisorders@ yahoogroups. comDate: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 11:39 PM

C

TINA: I understand your pain and loss over your Mother. It is a hard life experience and not made easy when in pain and frustrated. Can you afford an anti depressant or do you have a grief support group at your church? They did not have those in 1996 when my mom passed. Now they do at my church...I had to suffer and deal with it myself with no one to talk to. I still miss her very very much especially at holiday time so I understand your anger and depression and holiday LOSS. YOU are not alone...concentrate on the baby JESUS. love, ML who had a FLARE after the FLU SHOT...no more injections of any thing anywhere in this body

Thanks.

To: VulvarDisorders From: Carolyn52192@...Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 12:29:58 -0500Subject: Re: Fw: What's new for 'vulvodynia' in pubmed

Aww Tina, so sorry for your loss. I know exactly how it around the holidays especially because I lost my dad last year and my sister 4 years ago:(

Hope the memories of the good times and knowing she is in a MUCH better place now, will pull u thru this holiday season

C

what are trigger point injections?

Tina.

To: VulvarDisorders From: Carolyn52192@...Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 12:26:17 -0500Subject: Re: Fw: What's new for 'vulvodynia' in pubmed

has any one had positive or negative reactions from trigger pt injections?

C

• 1 month later...

Subject: What's new for 'vulvodynia' in PubMedTo: pletchsr@...Date: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 3:35 PM

Sender's message: Search: vulvodynia

Sent on Tuesday, 2009 Jan 27

Search vulvodynia Click here to view complete results in PubMed. (Results may change over time.)