RemedySpot.com

Seborrheic dermatitis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I went to a dermatologist today because I had 3 little red patches on my scalp that I just noticed- he said it was seborrheic dermatitis. I was reading up on it and came across the sentence about yeast and neurological disorders which I guess just kinda popped off the page considering what I am dealing with with my V issues. Not sure if it is related or not- has anyone ever heard of this yeast-a yeast (fungus) called malassezia ?? Is this same as yeast infection? Now Im wondering if I have some kind of undiagnosed yeast? Any thoughts?

Though the exact cause of seborrheic dermatitis isn't known, several contributing factors seem to play a role, including an abnormality of the oil glands and hair follicles. People with this disorder seem to have increased oil (sebum) production.

It's also thought that in some people, a yeast (fungus) called malassezia grows in the sebum along with bacteria. Antifungal treatments, such as ketoconazole (Nizoral), are often effective, supporting the idea that yeast is a contributing factor.

Outbreaks may be linked with production of certain hormones, physical stress, fatigue, travel, change of season — outbreaks are usually worse in the winter — or illness. Seborrheic dermatitis may also occur more frequently in people who have neurological conditions, such as Parkinson's disease.

Seborrheic dermatitis may also accompany acne rosacea, an inflammatory skin condition that causes redness of the face. However, the vast majority of people with seborrheic dermatitis have no other associated skin conditions.One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

Hey C., I've never heard of that particular kind of yeast. By any chance did you mention to the doc that you have vulvar pain, too? Maybe you could call him back and ask him if it can be located in the genital area, too? Derms have to know about skin conditions all over the body. I'm sure they have treated many different types of afflictions! Chelle

I went to a dermatologist today because I had 3 little red patches on my scalp that I just noticed- he said it was seborrheic dermatitis. I was reading up on it and came across the sentence about yeast and neurological disorders which I guess just kinda popped off the page considering what I am dealing with with my V issues. Not sure if it is related or not- has anyone ever heard of this yeast-a yeast (fungus) called malassezia ?? Is this same as yeast infection? Now Im wondering if I have some kind of undiagnosed yeast? Any thoughts?

Though the exact cause of seborrheic dermatitis isn't known, several contributing factors seem to play a role, including an abnormality of the oil glands and hair follicles. People with this disorder seem to have increased oil (sebum) production.

It's also thought that in some people, a yeast (fungus) called malassezia grows in the sebum along with bacteria. Antifungal treatments, such as ketoconazole (Nizoral), are often effective, supporting the idea that yeast is a contributing factor.

Outbreaks may be linked with production of certain hormones, physical stress, fatigue, travel, change of season — outbreaks are usually worse in the winter — or illness. Seborrheic dermatitis may also occur more frequently in people who have neurological conditions, such as Parkinson's disease.

Seborrheic dermatitis may also accompany acne rosacea, an inflammatory skin condition that causes redness of the face. However, the vast majority of people with seborrheic dermatitis have no other associated skin conditions