RemedySpot.com

Hormone tests and ranges

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Here is some info on female hormone testing. When to test and what the proper ranges should be. It's difficult because many docs just simply do NOT know (or care to understand) female hormones. I have benefited from Dr. Vliet's info on hormones, and personally that is what I go by. The lab ranges are so broad it's not even funny, not to mention the fact that they vary from lab to lab...UGH! If interested, her book is called: "Screaming to be Heard"You can get a copy from Amazon.com or check at your library.To help understand the lab range measurements, pg = picogram, ml = milliliter, ng = nanogram, dl = deciliterHormone tests/ ranges/ days to tests:Estradiol (estrogen)Follicular Phase Day 1-3 of cycle (day 1 being first day of bleeding).The first 3 days of your cycle, estradiol drops to its lowest levels all month. This is why it is important to test on these particular days. Ranges: 80-90 pg/ml (should not be lower than these levels according to Vliet).-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------EstradiolMid Luteal Phase Day 20-22 (assuming a 28 day cycle). Ranges: Optimal levels 200-250 pg/ml - however levels do vary and should not be below 160 -170

pg/ml.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ProgesteroneMid Luteal Phase Day 20-22 (again, assuming a 28 day cycle).Ranges: 10-25 ng/ml------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------TestosteroneCan be tested at any time during your cycle - however try to not have this test first thing in the morning. T levels are at their highest first thing in the morning and tend to wane as the day goes on. Mid afternoon is a good time to test. Ranges: 40-60 ng/dlAlso test for FREE levels of Testosterone, they should be about 1-2% of the main levels. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------When I find time, I'll try to update this with more tests and ranges. The best advice I can give to those who have hormonal issues or think they contribute to your pain, read and study all you can...because most docs are NO help! Take Care,Chelle