RemedySpot.com

RE: Anti Depressants and long time PSCers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

l, I have been a member of this group since 1999 and do not post very often (my bad). However, when I saw your post I felt compelled to respond because I have been wanting to ask the very same question. My family doctor gave me a month of samples for Effexor in December, but I have not taken it yet since I am a little leery of side effects, especially after reading about others problems with it in an online forum. I am anxious to learn if anyone in this group has taken it and what their experiences have been.

I was diagnosed with PSC 20 years ago this month. I have had some itching episodes, some RUQ pain, fatigue, chills and fever, depression, etc. My last bloodwork showed that all my lft's were in the normal range, which is a first since 1994. Except for some bile duct atypia discovered with ERCP, I remain quite well most of time and will probably never require a transplant. I am almost 66 years old and probably would not opt for a transplant if the need should ever arise.

Carol

I'd like to know if anyone has oppinions one way or another on Effexor. I'd also love to talk to anyone who has had PSC for over 15 years with no threat of a liver transplant in the near future.

I was diagnosed with PSC in 1989 at which time they replaced my bile ducts with a section of my bowel. Since then (and maybe before) my LFT numbers have been elevated, but they have been lower (but above normal) since starting on URSO in 1999. For the most part I have not had a lot of symptoms and God willing I will continue along just fine without a transplant.

Ian (51) PSC 89

Just curious if there is a high percentage of PSCers on Anti Depressants and what you have tried, what works and what doesn't and especially what to avoid due to liver interactions. I'd like to know

if anyone has oppinions one way or another on Effexor. I'd also love to talk to anyone who has had PSC for over 15 years with no threat of a liver transplant in the near future. I have had PSC for at least 23 years with only one itching episode and a few episodes of hot flashes and then chills, but other than an elevated Alk Phos (on ursidol it's in the mid to high 160s)and being tired, cold and depressed, I've shown no other signs of PSC.

-- Ian Cribb P.Eng.

I'm the one with PSC (no anti-depressants). However, we are pretty hard on our caregivers; it's not unusual at all for them. :(

Arne

56 - UC 1977, PSC 2000

Alive and (mostly) well in Minnesota

Just curious if there is a high percentage of PSCers on Anti Depressants and what you have tried, what works and what doesn't and especially what to avoid due to liver interactions...

Hi I have had mild pan-UC for about 12 years and abnormal LFTs for at

least two years (cholestatic pattern - psc suspected but not yet

proven).

Have had depression for over two years. Tried Prozac (Fluoxetine),

initially helped, to take away some anxiety and impulsiveness.

Eventually no effect, placed on Venlafaxine (Effexor). Again some

initial impact. Once liver problems confirmed by Gastro I was placed

on Duloxetine 30mg. These do take some anxiety and negative

impulsiveness away. These are the only ones that caused me any

problem. 60mg per day caused major 3 day headaches. Even 30mg per day

can cause a headache depending on food time taken etc. Frustrated with

fatigue I asked if I could be prescribed modafinil (expensive £130 per

30 tabs!!!) which frankly I did not even notice any real difference.

All anti depressants caused me a reduction in libido and erectile

function. Just what you need when your feeling down!

Hope this helps.

> Just curious if there is a high percentage of PSCers on Anti

> Depressants and what you have tried, what works and what doesn't and

> especially what to avoid due to liver interactions. I'd like to know

> if anyone has oppinions one way or another on Effexor.

>

> I'd also love to talk to anyone who has had PSC for over 15 years

with

> no threat of a liver transplant in the near future. I have had PSC

for

> at least 23 years with only one itching episode and a few episodes of

> hot flashes and then chills, but other than an elevated Alk Phos (on

> ursidol it's in the mid to high 160s)and being tired, cold and

> depressed, I've shown no other signs of PSC.

>