RemedySpot.com

What to take for the flu?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Do you mean Tamiflu, the antiviral (Theraflu is an over the counter medicine)?

My partner came down with the flu little over 2 weeks ago...not seen him that sick in 20 years. I had started coughing and I knew I couldn't afford to get that sick since I had just had cholangitis about a week before for a whole week. I had my doc call me in a prescription for Tamiflu. I read all the precautions and it has not been tested for people with liver disease....which is really hard to believe, something that widely in use (over 50 million treated). Anyway, I took it and it DID start to turn things around and I didn't seem to have any ill effects from the medicine itself. However, on the third day my liver started to REALLY hurt, so I got scared and stopped taking it and I started relapsing...I was really ill for another week after that. So, I too would be interested to know if anyone else has had experience with any of the flu antivirals and how many PSCer's get flu shots every year...I never have, but this is the first time I've had the flu, so I guess I'll start. It was really awful.

Jeff

PSC '89

I've had the flu this week and been trying hard not to give it to Fred. He's been having a dry cough though, and that's how mine started. I'd really like him to avoid this, as he's dealing with a mild UC setback. (Probiotics have helped, just not 100%.) Anyone here try Theraflu as a flu preventative? It's a prescription.

Tried calling his gastro this am (Sat). Was on hold waiting for an operator to pick up to leave a message for the on-call doc, but after listening to the entire musical score from West Side Story, figured no one was gonna answer. (Hint: Why pay to download itunes when you can just call your doctor's office?)

Any flu med advice would be appreciated.

Wife of Fred, PSC 03/04, UC 03/06

Delicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters. Watch the video on AOL Living.

I've had the flu this week and been trying hard not to give it to Fred. He's been having a dry cough though, and that's how mine started. I'd really like him to avoid this, as he's dealing with a mild UC setback. (Probiotics have helped, just not 100%.) Anyone here try Theraflu as a flu preventative? It's a prescription.

Tried calling his gastro this am (Sat). Was on hold waiting for an operator to pick up to leave a message for the on-call doc, but after listening to the entire musical score from West Side Story, figured no one was gonna answer. (Hint: Why pay to download itunes when you can just call your doctor's office?)

s got the flu shot this year before being diagnosed with PSC

and had no ill-effects (granted, he's very young and his liver is

still in pretty good shape). He was one of the only people in the

family that didn't get the flu, so I guess it worked! He ran a fever

for a few days around the time that everyone had the flu, but he

bounced back pretty quickly and didn't seem to develop full-blown flu.

>

> Do you mean Tamiflu, the antiviral (Theraflu is an over the counter

> medicine)?

> My partner came down with the flu little over 2 weeks ago...not seen

him

> that sick in 20 years. I had started coughing and I knew I couldn't

afford to

> get that sick since I had just had cholangitis about a week before

for a whole

> week. I had my doc call me in a prescription for Tamiflu. I read

all the

> precautions and it has not been tested for people with liver

disease....which

> is really hard to believe, something that widely in use (over 50

million

> treated). Anyway, I took it and it DID start to turn things around

and I didn't

> seem to have any ill effects from the medicine itself. However, on

the third

> day my liver started to REALLY hurt, so I got scared and stopped

taking it

> and I started relapsing...I was really ill for another week after

that. So, I

> too would be interested to know if anyone else has had experience

with any

> of the flu antivirals and how many PSCer's get flu shots every

year...I never

> have, but this is the first time I've had the flu, so I guess I'll

start. It

> was really awful.

>

> Jeff

> PSC '89

>

>

> In a message dated 2/23/2008 10:06:30 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

> fredh55@... writes:

>

>

>

>

> I've had the flu this week and been trying hard not to give it to

Fred. He's

> been having a dry cough though, and that's how mine started. I'd

really like

> him to avoid this, as he's dealing with a mild UC setback.

(Probiotics have

> helped, just not 100%.) Anyone here try Theraflu as a flu

preventative? It's

> a prescription.

>

> Tried calling his gastro this am (Sat). Was on hold waiting for an

operator

> to pick up to leave a message for the on-call doc, but after

listening to the

> entire musical score from West Side Story, figured no one was gonna

answer.

> (Hint: Why pay to download itunes when you can just call your doctor's

> office?)

>

> Any flu med advice would be appreciated.

>

>

> Wife of Fred, PSC 03/04, UC 03/06

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> **************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL

Living.

>

(http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/

> 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

>

Thera flu and things of that are bad for a person with psc or anyother liver disease. My Doctors tell me no way on any of that stuff which includs niquil. (anything with ascetimetiphine in it can cause liver faluire and more damage to you liver) I have PSC and I am on the liver transplant list, I have a cold too so right now I am drinking hot liquids and suffering but if it gets worse I will go to my Dr and he will perscribe something for me that I can take. I take about 16 pills a day and the wrong medicine can cause a bad reaction so talk to your dr ASAP. my transplant nurse told me it will take longer for me to get rid of the this cold because I am on major imunsupresents. So just hang in their. NO THERIFLU

JULIE NORd jnords@...On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 7:23 AM, wrote:

Since I had the toxic megacolon, I've always gotten the flu shot.Marie

To: From: Jeffsullivan@...Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:23:20 -0500Subject: Re: What to take for the flu?

My partner came down with the flu little over 2 weeks ago...not seen him that sick in 20 years. I had started coughing and I knew I couldn't afford to get that sick since I had just had cholangitis about a week before for a whole week. I had my doc call me in a prescription for Tamiflu. I read all the precautions and it has not been tested for people with liver disease....which is really hard to believe, something that widely in use (over 50 million treated). Anyway, I took it and it DID start to turn things around and I didn't seem to have any ill effects from the medicine itself. However, on the third day my liver started to REALLY hurt, so I got scared and stopped taking it and I started relapsing...I was really ill for another week after that. So, I too would be interested to know if anyone else has had experience with any of the flu antivirals and how many PSCer's get flu shots every year...I never have, but this is the first time I've had the flu, so I guess I'll start. It was really awful.

Jeff

PSC '89

In a message dated 2/23/2008 10:06:30 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, fredh55 (AT) bellsouth (DOT) net writes:

Delicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters. Watch the video on AOL Living.

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailĀ®-get your "fix". Check it out.