RemedySpot.com

Re: What to take for the flu AND a bad back?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yes I meant Tamiflu, not Theriflu. Thankfully Fred's symptoms that we thought were the start of the flu were just "teasing" him, and we hope it stays that way. Had chills last night, but gone today. A little congestion yesterday, gone today. Finally got the on-call dr. and we requested Tamiflu. Dr. (gastro) was going to call it in. Fred obviously won't take unless he needs to.

But now there's ANOTHER issue - his back went into spasms while bending over today, and we're wondering if it's safe to take ibuprofen? I know Tylenol is not good.

It's another tossup. Tylenol is harmful to your liver, but Ibuprofen is

processed by the kidneys, which can also be stressed by PSC. I take

ibuprofen, when I need it - mostly because acetaminophen doesn't do anything

for me. My hep would prefer I take Tylenol, but he's OK with ibuprofen as

long as I don't exceed the package dosage instructions.

Sorry, no perfect answers.

Arne

56 - UC 1977, PSC 2000

Alive and well in Minnesota

Behalf Of Fred H.

....But now there's ANOTHER issue - his back went into spasms while bending

over today, and we're wondering if it's safe to take ibuprofen? I know

Tylenol is not good.

Sorry, but I agree with your Hepatologist (although there is a spectrum of viewpoints)... both Tylenol and Ibuprofen can be harmful to the liver. 's GI recommended low dose Tylenol one tab twice a day. I would check carefully with MD and keep to the lowest possible dose possible. For severe pain, your doctor may prefer you to take prescription narcotics that do not contain any Tylenol or ibuprofen.

Joanne H

(, Ca., mom of , 17, UC/PSC 2-06; JRA 98)

It's another tossup. Tylenol is harmful to your liver, but Ibuprofen isprocessed by the kidneys, which can also be stressed by PSC. I takeibuprofen, when I need it - mostly because acetaminophen doesn't do anythingfor me. My hep would prefer I take Tylenol, but he's OK with ibuprofen aslong as I don't exceed the package dosage instructions.Sorry, no perfect answers.Arne56 - UC 1977, PSC 2000Alive and well in Minnesota________________________________From: [mailto: ] OnBehalf Of Fred H....But now there's ANOTHER issue - his back went into spasms while bendingover today, and we're wondering if it's safe to take ibuprofen? I knowTylenol is not good.