RemedySpot.com

requirements of parents with homework question...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ok...I have a question and I would like to hear what you receive for your

child...

My son is in 10th grade...but I was curious as to what type of help you receive

for homework...or what type of instruction your child gets prior to coming home

with the homework? Im not sure how to word it...Is your child being taught the

information in class and then coming home and you just do the homework OR is

your child being handed a sheet or list of Homework assignments and your child

is responsible to do it and figure them out alone?

For example...My child came home with a worksheet. He is to read it and do all

the work...but I feel like he has no clue what to do so I have to sit and

instruct him first then he can do it step by step with me. I dont feel like the

school is instructing him on how to do it.

Maybe Im expecting too much? I would think the teachers should be teaching and I

can help review or assist on some of the work...not like Im reteaching entirely.

Is your son included in the general education curriculum with typical children? If so, the scenario you describe is unfortunately, what you can expect. To: sList Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 8:53 AM Subject: requirements of parents with homework question...

Ok...I have a question and I would like to hear what you receive for your child...

My son is in 10th grade...but I was curious as to what type of help you receive for homework...or what type of instruction your child gets prior to coming home with the homework? Im not sure how to word it...Is your child being taught the information in class and then coming home and you just do the homework OR is your child being handed a sheet or list of Homework assignments and your child is responsible to do it and figure them out alone?

For example...My child came home with a worksheet. He is to read it and do all the work...but I feel like he has no clue what to do so I have to sit and instruct him first then he can do it step by step with me. I dont feel like the school is instructing him on how to do it.

Maybe Im expecting too much? I would think the teachers should be teaching and I can help review or assist on some of the work...not like Im reteaching entirely.

Maybe you should be in their face more often. How do the other children in the

class get instructed? The work should be modified and he should have

accommodations- so he can LEARN-be successful-

>

> Is your son included in the general education curriculum with typical

children? If so, the scenario you describe is unfortunately, what you can

expect.Â

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> >________________________________

> >

> >To: sList

> >Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 8:53 AM

> >Subject: requirements of parents with homework question...

> >

> >

> >Â

> >Ok...I have a question and I would like to hear what you receive for your

child...

> >

> >My son is in 10th grade...but I was curious as to what type of help you

receive for homework...or what type of instruction your child gets prior to

coming home with the homework? Im not sure how to word it...Is your child being

taught the information in class and then coming home and you just do the

homework OR is your child being handed a sheet or list of Homework assignments

and your child is responsible to do it and figure them out alone?

> >

> >For example...My child came home with a worksheet. He is to read it and do

all the work...but I feel like he has no clue what to do so I have to sit and

instruct him first then he can do it step by step with me. I dont feel like the

school is instructing him on how to do it.

> >

> >Maybe Im expecting too much? I would think the teachers should be teaching

and I can help review or assist on some of the work...not like Im reteaching

entirely.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

I used to think the same thing until I tried home schooling. In my experience my daughter has such a short term memory that WAS like the first time she saw it and I had to re teach it. Very frustrating and it takes a lot of patience...I just let her do the best she can and we don't battle over it anymore. It isn't worth it!~Sent via BlackBerry by AT&TSender: sList Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 06:24:29 -0800 (PST)To: sList <sList >ReplyTo: sList Subject: Re: requirements of parents with homework question... Is your son included in the general education curriculum with typical children? If so, the scenario you describe is unfortunately, what you can expect. To: sList Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 8:53 AM Subject: requirements of parents with homework question... Ok...I have a question and I would like to hear what you receive for your child...My son is in 10th grade...but I was curious as to what type of help you receive for homework...or what type of instruction your child gets prior to coming home with the homework? Im not sure how to word it...Is your child being taught the information in class and then coming home and you just do the homework OR is your child being handed a sheet or list of Homework assignments and your child is responsible to do it and figure them out alone?For example...My child came home with a worksheet. He is to read it and do all the work...but I feel like he has no clue what to do so I have to sit and instruct him first then he can do it step by step with me. I dont feel like the school is instructing him on how to do it. Maybe Im expecting too much? I would think the teachers should be teaching and I can help review or assist on some of the work...not like Im reteaching entirely.

You might want to do an observation to determine if the curriculum being taught is appropriate for him and schedule a conference with the teacher.Sent from Jodi A. Neuhof lshapir@... wrote:

I used to think the same thing until I tried home schooling. In my experience my daughter has such a short term memory that WAS like the first time she saw it and I had to re teach it. Very frustrating and it takes a lot of patience...I just let her do the best she can and we don't battle over it anymore. It isn't worth it!~Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

Sender: sList

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 06:24:29 -0800 (PST)To: sList <sList >ReplyTo: sList

Subject: Re: requirements of parents with homework question...

Is your son included in the general education curriculum with typical children? If so, the scenario you describe is unfortunately, what you can expect. To: sList Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 8:53 AM Subject: requirements of parents with homework question...

Ok...I have a question and I would like to hear what you receive for your child...

My son is in 10th grade...but I was curious as to what type of help you receive for homework...or what type of instruction your child gets prior to coming home with the homework? Im not sure how to word it...Is your child being taught the information in class and then coming home and you just do the homework OR is your child being handed a sheet or list of Homework assignments and your child is responsible to do it and figure them out alone?

For example...My child came home with a worksheet. He is to read it and do all the work...but I feel like he has no clue what to do so I have to sit and instruct him first then he can do it step by step with me. I dont feel like the school is instructing him on how to do it.

Maybe Im expecting too much? I would think the teachers should be teaching and I can help review or assist on some of the work...not like Im reteaching entirely.

Yes...I have a second IEP meeting this week and I wanted to get a feel for how

everyone else gets Homework done. Today I sat here and went over all the

teachers websites...but they dont have the assignments in detail...just general

chapters. There are others that havent been updated. I know my son has lots of

accommodations and he is in regular classes...but they are supposed to send me

the assignments and modified work. It seems like I am doing all the teaching at

home.

He was home schooled in the past...but I shouldnt be doing more work now that he

is IN school then I did when he was Home Schooling. It is quite frustrating and

I wanted to figure out if this is just common among others.

Are you required as a parent to search all over to find the assignments? OR do

your teachers write them down or email them to you?

My son NEVER writes them down but I find the websites to be hard to navigate. I

know I work online and am used to dealing with websites...but if IM having this

much difficulty how would my PDD child be able to figure it out.

I have never been told I could come in and observe a class. I have to ask about

that. I would be especially curious in my son's reading class which he fails a

lot of in class assignments. Can you do this on multiple days or only one? I am

going to try and ask about this!!

Thanks for that suggestion!!

I would ask for graphic organizers of every chapter and a syllabus with all assignments listed at the beginning of each semester. I would ask for a copy of each assignment ahead of time (at least a week ahead of time) and I would also want to see exactly how his assignments are being modified. Ask for written lesson plans listing ALL accommodations including scaffolding of activities. The teacher will put up a fight because this is a lot of extra work for him/her but it is necessary. Make sure all of this is in the IEP. If it is not written in the IEP it will not happen. Even with these accommodations you are still going to have to put a lot of time in at home helping him do his homework.

Re: requirements of parents with homework question...

Yes...I have a second IEP meeting this week and I wanted to get a feel for how everyone else gets Homework done. Today I sat here and went over all the teachers websites...but they dont have the assignments in detail...just general chapters. There are others that havent been updated. I know my son has lots of accommodations and he is in regular classes...but they are supposed to send me the assignments and modified work. It seems like I am doing all the teaching at home.

He was home schooled in the past...but I shouldnt be doing more work now that he is IN school then I did when he was Home Schooling. It is quite frustrating and I wanted to figure out if this is just common among others.

Are you required as a parent to search all over to find the assignments? OR do your teachers write them down or email them to you?

My son NEVER writes them down but I find the websites to be hard to navigate. I know I work online and am used to dealing with websites...but if IM having this much difficulty how would my PDD child be able to figure it out.

I have never been told I could come in and observe a class. I have to ask about that. I would be especially curious in my son's reading class which he fails a lot of in class assignments. Can you do this on multiple days or only one? I am going to try and ask about this!!

Thanks for that suggestion!!