RemedySpot.com

why is school so difficult?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

You know...my 16 yo has been having issues forever in school. I have battled

with the public school since he was 5! Our middle school adventure was a

nightmare to the point he ended up being homeschooled all of middle school and

went back for high school. I still have my advocate dealing with his education.

Now...my almost 11 yo is starting to have her own issues. She is very high

functioning aspergers. She has never had issues in school as far as grades. She

was in public school gifted until 3rd grade and we placed our 2 youngest in a

private school to avoid all the issues we had with our son and to give our aspie

a smaller enviornment with less anxiety. They both had been in gifted program.

Now...almost 2 years later...my Daughters are starting to struggle with their

grades. My 5th grader is having issues that she has never had before. I feel

like they have lost so much knowledge being in a private school. I feel like

each year I have to choose between allowing her back in the Public school Drama

that I dealt with or keeping her in a school that might not be giving her the

highest education...but is a nice environment and makes her feel safe with lower

anxiety. Now my little one in 3rd isnt at the top of her class anymore and I

dont see her having the same level of education her sister did. I think if I put

them back in Public school they would both end up in regular classes even though

they had started in gifted.

Im sitting here crying my eyes out because I dont know what to do. It terrifies

me to think of switching her school and all the anxiety that will cause...but I

am thinking the private school will be a very bad choice for middle school. I am

so scared she will do worse and worse and these teachers really are not trained

to deal with aspergers. They are not ese teachers. And my little one doesnt

want to loose her friends.

I think the best choice would be the public middle school but I wonder how that

environment would be to adjust to for her. Right now in her small class...she is

starting to regress and stop wanting to talk to her teacher. She has suddenly

developed more fear of talking to people and I cant figure out why. She gets

embarrassed at the drop of a pin. I think it may be hormones. I cant imagine

moving her in the middle of the year...I would need to make up my mind now while

we are about to start middle school.

Has anyone switched in middle school to a public middle school? How does that

work? Do they retest her or accept her gifted iep? Now that she has a diagnosis

I know that I need to update that from the start with an advocate and the gifted

will need to come off? Do they have to test into classes starting in 6th? or do

they place according to standardized tests? I know she always scores in the

99.9% so she should be in advanced classes?

The school doesn't matter, what matters is the teachers. You can be at the nicest school in the state but if you child's teacher is sub-par then what does it matter how nice the school is? Public school vs. private school is a question we have all struggled with. Is the environment safe and open to exploration? Is the teacher making all of the necessary accommodations? Does the school value individuality in education? These are important questions you must answer. If the answer to any of these questions is no then your kids are probably in the wrong school.

I was a middle school teacher for years and I can tell you ALL kids struggle during middle school for many reasons. They have these new awkward bodies, the curriculum becomes more challenging, and they MUST be able to function with a certain level of independence if they are in a mainstream classroom. This is a difficult transition for all students, but throw a developmental delay on top of it and it is going to be difficult to say the least.

I can tell you from experience that gifted programs are difficult for our special learners not because they are unable to handle the curriculum but because there are expectations that go along with being in a gifted program and some of those expectations are advanced organization skills, independent learning, and tons of collaboration with peers which can be a difficult proposition for a child who is socially awkward or prefers to be alone.

You know...my 16 yo has been having issues forever in school. I have battled with the public school since he was 5! Our middle school adventure was a nightmare to the point he ended up being homeschooled all of middle school and went back for high school. I still have my advocate dealing with his education.

Now...my almost 11 yo is starting to have her own issues. She is very high functioning aspergers. She has never had issues in school as far as grades. She was in public school gifted until 3rd grade and we placed our 2 youngest in a private school to avoid all the issues we had with our son and to give our aspie a smaller enviornment with less anxiety. They both had been in gifted program.

Now...almost 2 years later...my Daughters are starting to struggle with their grades. My 5th grader is having issues that she has never had before. I feel like they have lost so much knowledge being in a private school. I feel like each year I have to choose between allowing her back in the Public school Drama that I dealt with or keeping her in a school that might not be giving her the highest education...but is a nice environment and makes her feel safe with lower anxiety. Now my little one in 3rd isnt at the top of her class anymore and I dont see her having the same level of education her sister did. I think if I put them back in Public school they would both end up in regular classes even though they had started in gifted.

Im sitting here crying my eyes out because I dont know what to do. It terrifies me to think of switching her school and all the anxiety that will cause...but I am thinking the private school will be a very bad choice for middle school. I am so scared she will do worse and worse and these teachers really are not trained to deal with aspergers. They are not ese teachers. And my little one doesnt want to loose her friends.

I think the best choice would be the public middle school but I wonder how that environment would be to adjust to for her. Right now in her small class...she is starting to regress and stop wanting to talk to her teacher. She has suddenly developed more fear of talking to people and I cant figure out why. She gets embarrassed at the drop of a pin. I think it may be hormones. I cant imagine moving her in the middle of the year...I would need to make up my mind now while we are about to start middle school.

Has anyone switched in middle school to a public middle school? How does that work? Do they retest her or accept her gifted iep? Now that she has a diagnosis I know that I need to update that from the start with an advocate and the gifted will need to come off? Do they have to test into classes starting in 6th? or do they place according to standardized tests? I know she always scores in the 99.9% so she should be in advanced classes?

Hi- I haven’t really followed this email string-But if you are looking at Mckay school options- Independent Jr & Sr high school not only has a warm nurturing learning environment-the skill sets that are taught are second to none in my opinion. Call and schedule a tour-School is the place both my kids love to go to, have learned many skills and are safe- http://www.ihspioneers.com/ Independence High School is located at 2785 SW 11th Ct., Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312Email: info@...Best of luck!!!-feel free to email me if you have any questions From: sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf Of Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 7:03 AMTo: sList Subject: Re: why is school so difficult? The school doesn't matter, what matters is the teachers. You can be at the nicest school in the state but if you child's teacher is sub-par then what does it matter how nice the school is? Public school vs. private school is a question we have all struggled with. Is the environment safe and open to exploration? Is the teacher making all of the necessary accommodations? Does the school value individuality in education? These are important questions you must answer. If the answer to any of these questions is no then your kids are probably in the wrong school.I was a middle school teacher for years and I can tell you ALL kids struggle during middle school for many reasons. They have these new awkward bodies, the curriculum becomes more challenging, and they MUST be able to function with a certain level of independence if they are in a mainstream classroom. This is a difficult transition for all students, but throw a developmental delay on top of it and it is going to be difficult to say the least. I can tell you from experience that gifted programs are difficult for our special learners not because they are unable to handle the curriculum but because there are expectations that go along with being in a gifted program and some of those expectations are advanced organization skills, independent learning, and tons of collaboration with peers which can be a difficult proposition for a child who is socially awkward or prefers to be alone. why is school so difficult? You know...my 16 yo has been having issues forever in school. I have battled with the public school since he was 5! Our middle school adventure was a nightmare to the point he ended up being homeschooled all of middle school and went back for high school. I still have my advocate dealing with his education.Now...my almost 11 yo is starting to have her own issues. She is very high functioning aspergers. She has never had issues in school as far as grades. She was in public school gifted until 3rd grade and we placed our 2 youngest in a private school to avoid all the issues we had with our son and to give our aspie a smaller enviornment with less anxiety. They both had been in gifted program. Now...almost 2 years later...my Daughters are starting to struggle with their grades. My 5th grader is having issues that she has never had before. I feel like they have lost so much knowledge being in a private school. I feel like each year I have to choose between allowing her back in the Public school Drama that I dealt with or keeping her in a school that might not be giving her the highest education...but is a nice environment and makes her feel safe with lower anxiety. Now my little one in 3rd isnt at the top of her class anymore and I dont see her having the same level of education her sister did. I think if I put them back in Public school they would both end up in regular classes even though they had started in gifted. Im sitting here crying my eyes out because I dont know what to do. It terrifies me to think of switching her school and all the anxiety that will cause...but I am thinking the private school will be a very bad choice for middle school. I am so scared she will do worse and worse and these teachers really are not trained to deal with aspergers. They are not ese teachers. And my little one doesnt want to loose her friends. I think the best choice would be the public middle school but I wonder how that environment would be to adjust to for her. Right now in her small class...she is starting to regress and stop wanting to talk to her teacher. She has suddenly developed more fear of talking to people and I cant figure out why. She gets embarrassed at the drop of a pin. I think it may be hormones. I cant imagine moving her in the middle of the year...I would need to make up my mind now while we are about to start middle school. Has anyone switched in middle school to a public middle school? How does that work? Do they retest her or accept her gifted iep? Now that she has a diagnosis I know that I need to update that from the start with an advocate and the gifted will need to come off? Do they have to test into classes starting in 6th? or do they place according to standardized tests? I know she always scores in the 99.9% so she should be in advanced classes?

Hi Jeanette,

I know someone that may benefit from this school. Do they offer gen ed diplomas

too?

>

> Hi- I haven’t really followed this email string-

>

> But if you are looking at Mckay school options-

>

>

>

> Independent Jr & Sr high school not only has a warm nurturing learning

environment-the skill sets that are taught are second to none in my opinion.

>

>

>

> Call and schedule a tour-

>

> School is the place both my kids love to go to, have learned many skills and

are safe-

>

>

>

> http://www.ihspioneers.com/

>

> Independence High School is located at 2785 SW 11th Ct., Ft. Lauderdale, FL

33312Email: info@...

>

> Best of luck!!!-feel free to email me if you have any questions

>

>

>

>

>

> From: sList [mailto:sList ] On

Behalf Of

> Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 7:03 AM

> To: sList

> Subject: Re: why is school so difficult?

>

>

>

>

>

> The school doesn't matter, what matters is the teachers. You can be at the

nicest school in the state but if you child's teacher is sub-par then what does

it matter how nice the school is? Public school vs. private school is a

question we have all struggled with. Is the environment safe and open to

exploration? Is the teacher making all of the necessary accommodations? Does

the school value individuality in education? These are important questions you

must answer. If the answer to any of these questions is no then your kids are

probably in the wrong school.

>

> I was a middle school teacher for years and I can tell you ALL kids struggle

during middle school for many reasons. They have these new awkward bodies, the

curriculum becomes more challenging, and they MUST be able to function with a

certain level of independence if they are in a mainstream classroom. This is a

difficult transition for all students, but throw a developmental delay on top of

it and it is going to be difficult to say the least.

>

> I can tell you from experience that gifted programs are difficult for our

special learners not because they are unable to handle the curriculum but

because there are expectations that go along with being in a gifted program and

some of those expectations are advanced organization skills, independent

learning, and tons of collaboration with peers which can be a difficult

proposition for a child who is socially awkward or prefers to be alone.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> why is school so difficult?

>

>

>

> You know...my 16 yo has been having issues forever in school. I have battled

with the public school since he was 5! Our middle school adventure was a

nightmare to the point he ended up being homeschooled all of middle school and

went back for high school. I still have my advocate dealing with his education.

>

> Now...my almost 11 yo is starting to have her own issues. She is very high

functioning aspergers. She has never had issues in school as far as grades. She

was in public school gifted until 3rd grade and we placed our 2 youngest in a

private school to avoid all the issues we had with our son and to give our aspie

a smaller enviornment with less anxiety. They both had been in gifted program.

>

> Now...almost 2 years later...my Daughters are starting to struggle with their

grades. My 5th grader is having issues that she has never had before. I feel

like they have lost so much knowledge being in a private school. I feel like

each year I have to choose between allowing her back in the Public school Drama

that I dealt with or keeping her in a school that might not be giving her the

highest education...but is a nice environment and makes her feel safe with lower

anxiety. Now my little one in 3rd isnt at the top of her class anymore and I

dont see her having the same level of education her sister did. I think if I put

them back in Public school they would both end up in regular classes even though

they had started in gifted.

>

> Im sitting here crying my eyes out because I dont know what to do. It

terrifies me to think of switching her school and all the anxiety that will

cause...but I am thinking the private school will be a very bad choice for

middle school. I am so scared she will do worse and worse and these teachers

really are not trained to deal with aspergers. They are not ese teachers. And my

little one doesnt want to loose her friends.

>

> I think the best choice would be the public middle school but I wonder how

that environment would be to adjust to for her. Right now in her small

class...she is starting to regress and stop wanting to talk to her teacher. She

has suddenly developed more fear of talking to people and I cant figure out why.

She gets embarrassed at the drop of a pin. I think it may be hormones. I cant

imagine moving her in the middle of the year...I would need to make up my mind

now while we are about to start middle school.

>

> Has anyone switched in middle school to a public middle school? How does that

work? Do they retest her or accept her gifted iep? Now that she has a diagnosis

I know that I need to update that from the start with an advocate and the gifted

will need to come off? Do they have to test into classes starting in 6th? or do

they place according to standardized tests? I know she always scores in the

99.9% so she should be in advanced classes?

>

Well said.

To: sList Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:03:21 AMSubject: Re: why is school so difficult?

The school doesn't matter, what matters is the teachers. You can be at the nicest school in the state but if you child's teacher is sub-par then what does it matter how nice the school is? Public school vs. private school is a question we have all struggled with. Is the environment safe and open to exploration? Is the teacher making all of the necessary accommodations? Does the school value individuality in education? These are important questions you must answer. If the answer to any of these questions is no then your kids are probably in the wrong school.I was a middle school teacher for years and I can tell you ALL kids struggle during middle school for many reasons. They have these new awkward bodies, the curriculum becomes more challenging, and they MUST be able to function with a certain level of independence if they are in a mainstream classroom. This is a difficult transition for all students, but throw a developmental delay on top of it and it is going to be difficult to say the least. I can tell you from experience that gifted programs are difficult for our special learners not because they are unable to handle the curriculum but because there are expectations that go along with being in a gifted program and some of those expectations are advanced organization skills, independent learning, and tons of collaboration with peers which can be a difficult proposition for a child who is socially awkward or prefers to be alone.

You know...my 16 yo has been having issues forever in school. I have battled with the public school since he was 5! Our middle school adventure was a nightmare to the point he ended up being homeschooled all of middle school and went back for high school. I still have my advocate dealing with his education.Now...my almost 11 yo is starting to have her own issues. She is very high functioning aspergers. She has never had issues in school as far as grades. She was in public school gifted until 3rd grade and we placed our 2 youngest in a private school to avoid all the issues we had with our son and to give our aspie a smaller enviornment with less anxiety. They both had been in gifted program. Now...almost 2 years later...my Daughters are starting to struggle with their grades. My 5th grader is having issues that she has never had before. I feel like they have lost so much knowledge being in a private school. I feel like each year I have to choose between allowing her back in the Public school Drama that I dealt with or keeping her in a school that might not be giving her the highest education...but is a nice environment and makes her feel safe with lower anxiety. Now my little one in 3rd isnt at the top of her class anymore and I dont see her having the same level of education her sister did. I think if I put them back in Public school they would both end up in regular classes even though they had started in gifted. Im sitting here crying my eyes out because I dont know what to do. It terrifies me to think of switching her school and all the anxiety that will cause...but I am thinking the private school will be a very bad choice for middle school. I am so scared she will do worse and worse and these teachers really are not trained to deal with aspergers. They are not ese teachers. And my little one doesnt want to loose her friends. I think the best choice would be the public middle school but I wonder how that environment would be to adjust to for her. Right now in her small class...she is starting to regress and stop wanting to talk to her teacher. She has suddenly developed more fear of talking to people and I cant figure out why. She gets embarrassed at the drop of a pin. I think it may be hormones. I cant imagine moving her in the middle of the year...I would need to make up my mind now while we are about to start middle school. Has anyone switched in middle school to a public middle school? How does that work? Do they retest her or accept her gifted iep? Now that she has a diagnosis I know that I need to update that from the start with an advocate and the gifted will need to come off? Do they have to test into classes starting in 6th? or do they place according to standardized tests? I know she always scores in the 99.9% so she should be in advanced classes?