RemedySpot.com

Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,

We live in New Jersey, we need to relocate to Dade or Broward County. Our 6year

old with autism is in a typical kindergarten classroom, full time supported

inclusion. Could we find that in those areas?

Could you please let us know which schools (public or private) have good

teachers that would be helping our child move forward and will work with support

staff and with us?

If you would be moving to South Florida, which would be an ideal public or

private school/ teachers for our situation?

your help is inmensely appreciated. Neisy

Wow NJ has much better services. Florida is one of the worst for autism. Do u really have to move?Sent from my MOTOROLA ATRIX™ 2 on AT & T Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida Hi,We live in New Jersey, we need to relocate to Dade or Broward County. Our 6year old with autism is in a typical kindergarten classroom, full time supported inclusion. Could we find that in those areas?Could you please let us know which schools (public or private) have good teachers that would be helping our child move forward and will work with support staff and with us?If you would be moving to South Florida, which would be an ideal public or private school/ teachers for our situation?your help is inmensely appreciated. Neisy

Dear Friend:

We moved down here when our son was 9 years old. We used to live in East Brunswick, NJ and came from the greatest school system ever!!! I wanted to be prepared so I spent over a thousand dollars getting a new evaluation in Miami. I called the elementary school to set up an appointment for the next day. At the appointment, after showing them the report and the list of what my son "needed" as far as accomodations-they said, "well, he won't get that here!". Luckily my son did well without most accomodations, and he really didn't need a lot of special services. All I can recomend is that you to the Dan Marino Center and ask for their advice. Good luck, Florida is not great with services. We love living here but it's a different world concerning disabled kids. Keep posting and let us know if we can help in any way. It might take a while but you will find your way, Broward is better than Dade...Sandy

To: sList Sent: Sunday, February 5, 2012 7:12 AMSubject: Re: Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

Wow NJ has much better services. Florida is one of the worst for autism. Do u really have to move?Sent from my MOTOROLA ATRIXâ„¢ 2 on AT & T Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

Hi,We live in New Jersey, we need to relocate to Dade or Broward County. Our 6year old with autism is in a typical kindergarten classroom, full time supported inclusion. Could we find that in those areas?Could you please let us know which schools (public or private) have good teachers that would be helping our child move forward and will work with support staff and with us?If you would be moving to South Florida, which would be an ideal public or private school/ teachers for our situation?your help is inmensely appreciated. Neisy

He is at a point where maybe things could be handled in Florida. He is med - high functioning. He will need long term shadowing services and one on one teaching after school. Grandparents are in Florida and need our help.

We were hoping to find a private school with caring teachers that will allow shadow.

thank you. Neisy

To: sList Sent: Sun, February 5, 2012 7:12:12 AMSubject: Re: Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

Wow NJ has much better services. Florida is one of the worst for autism. Do u really have to move?Sent from my MOTOROLA ATRIXâ„¢ 2 on AT & T Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

Hi,We live in New Jersey, we need to relocate to Dade or Broward County. Our 6year old with autism is in a typical kindergarten classroom, full time supported inclusion. Could we find that in those areas?Could you please let us know which schools (public or private) have good teachers that would be helping our child move forward and will work with support staff and with us?If you would be moving to South Florida, which would be an ideal public or private school/ teachers for our situation?your help is inmensely appreciated. Neisy

Having moved from PA to Fl two years ago it is true to say that School Districts in PA and NJ offer much more than here in terms of specialized ABA classrooms and good inclusion possibilities. However there are good private schools and therapy centers here and there are also some very good charter schools like Palm Beach School for Autism and Renaissance Learning Center. If you can get your child into them. Both are in Palm Beach County and otherwise I don't know so much about Broward or Dade. Casablanca Academy in Hollywood is a small private school that I have heard good things about. But for inclusion I think you might struggle to find what you are looking for. Before you commit to moving here you should if you can spend a week or two here checking things out.Sent from my iPad

Hi,

We live in New Jersey, we need to relocate to Dade or Broward County. Our 6year old with autism is in a typical kindergarten classroom, full time supported inclusion. Could we find that in those areas?

Could you please let us know which schools (public or private) have good teachers that would be helping our child move forward and will work with support staff and with us?

If you would be moving to South Florida, which would be an ideal public or private school/ teachers for our situation?

your help is inmensely appreciated. Neisy

Neisy,

In SFL, Public schools will not include a child in a mainstream class unless

they are very high functioning. My son is verbal, not behavioral and

academically appropriate for his age, but he needs support b/c he is not fully

conversational and needs someone to help him stay on task, and we tried to fight

for inclusion without success in the public school system. But there are several

private options that take the Mckay scholarship (which after the school board

gives him an IEP you can opt out of Public and use school funds to cover private

school tuition). My med-high functioning 5 yr old is now at the North Miami

Montessori school and they have inclusion and allow a shadow. The Mckay won't

cover a shadow, but you can pay extra out of pocket and the school can provide

one, or you can provide your own.

Other than that there are very few good private options that will allow a shadow

for med-high functioning children in an inclusive setting, I've called almost

every Mckay covered private school in broward and dade and they say no on the

spot. However, if you are willing to pay out of pocket for school tuition as

well, you may find a private school that doesn't take Mckay that may be willing

to allow a shadow.

There are also a few really good specialized schools that are not primarily

autism schools, and have some inclusion for high functioning kids that don't

need a shadow but just need a small supported class. These programs are housed

within regular private schools, but have a separate program. Some good programs

that I've heard of are American Academy (within American Heritage school),

Mountains peak (within Sagemont private school in weston), and the Cushman

School in miami also has a separate program housed within the school. Again,

admission all depends on how much support the child needs.

I wish there were more schools that allowed for inclusion, maybe we should move

to New Jersey!

HTH,

Shiri

>

> He is at a point where maybe things could be handled in Florida. Â He is med -

> high functioning. He will need long term shadowing services and one on one

> teaching after school. Grandparents are in Florida and need our help.

>

> We were hoping to find a private school with caring teachers that will allow

> shadow.Â

>

> thank you. Neisy

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

>

> To: sList

> Sent: Sun, February 5, 2012 7:12:12 AM

> Subject: Re: Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

>

>

>

>

> Wow NJ has much better services. Florida is one of the worst for autism. Do u

> really have to move?

>

> Sent from my MOTOROLA ATRIXâ„¢ 2 on AT & T

>

> Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

> >

> >

> >Â

> >Hi,

> >We live in New Jersey, we need to relocate to Dade or Broward County. Our

6year

> >old with autism is in a typical kindergarten classroom, full time supported

> >inclusion. Could we find that in those areas?

> >Could you please let us know which schools (public or private) have good

> >teachers that would be helping our child move forward and will work with

support

> >staff and with us?

> >If you would be moving to South Florida, which would be an ideal public or

> >private school/ teachers for our situation?

> >your help is inmensely appreciated. Neisy

> >

> >

>

Why would you want your child to be " mainstreamed" ? Do you want him her to be bullied daily?

To: sList Sent: Sunday, February 5, 2012 10:54:15 AMSubject: Re: Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

Neisy,In SFL, Public schools will not include a child in a mainstream class unless they are very high functioning. My son is verbal, not behavioral and academically appropriate for his age, but he needs support b/c he is not fully conversational and needs someone to help him stay on task, and we tried to fight for inclusion without success in the public school system. But there are several private options that take the Mckay scholarship (which after the school board gives him an IEP you can opt out of Public and use school funds to cover private school tuition). My med-high functioning 5 yr old is now at the North Miami Montessori school and they have inclusion and allow a shadow. The Mckay won't cover a shadow, but you can pay extra out of pocket and the school can provide one, or you can provide your own. Other than that there are very few good private options that will allow a shadow for med-high functioning children in an inclusive setting, I've called almost every Mckay covered private school in broward and dade and they say no on the spot. However, if you are willing to pay out of pocket for school tuition as well, you may find a private school that doesn't take Mckay that may be willing to allow a shadow.There are also a few really good specialized schools that are not primarily autism schools, and have some inclusion for high functioning kids that don't need a shadow but just need a small supported class. These programs are housed within regular private schools, but have a separate program. Some good programs that I've heard of are American Academy (within American Heritage school), Mountains peak (within Sagemont private school in weston), and the Cushman School in miami also has a separate program housed within the school. Again, admission all depends on how much support the child needs.I wish there were more schools that allowed for inclusion, maybe we should move to New Jersey!HTH,Shiri>> He is at a point where maybe things could be handled in Florida.  He is med - > high functioning. He will need long term shadowing services and one on one > teaching after school. Grandparents are in Florida and need our help. > > We were hoping to find a private school with caring teachers that will allow > shadow. > > thank you. Neisy> > > > > ________________________________> > To: sList > Sent: Sun, February 5, 2012 7:12:12 AM> Subject: Re: Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida> > > > > Wow NJ has much better services. Florida is one of the worst for autism. Do u > really have to move?> > Sent from my MOTOROLA ATRIX™ 2 on AT & T> > Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida> >> >> > > >Hi,> >We live in New Jersey, we need to relocate to Dade or Broward County. Our 6year > >old with autism is in a typical kindergarten classroom, full time supported > >inclusion. Could we find that in those areas?> >Could you please let us know which schools (public or private) have good > >teachers that would be helping our child move forward and will work with support > >staff and with us?> >If you would be moving to South Florida, which would be an ideal public or > >private school/ teachers for our situation?> >your help is inmensely appreciated. Neisy> >> >>

Kingmeerkat,

My son is in a mainstream classroom and has not been bullied once. In fact, the

opposite, the kids are taught to " help " my son when he needs it, and they gain a

lot from using those leadership skills, and learn patience and tolerance.

When inclusion is done right, meaning it is accepted by the teachers and

students and people are educated about it and accommodations are made, than it

can be AMAZING for everyone involved. Our children one day will be adults who

have to live in a world where they will always be different, so why seclude them

now? My son has gained friends and social and play skills that he would have

never gotten in a secluded classroom with children who are like him. His typical

peers approach him and coax him into playing with them, and he plays soccer with

them, races with them all kinds of games.

Just because in SFL most people are still uneducated about how to make inclusion

work, doesn't mean it can't be done. States like NJ and Penn, have been able to

do it successfully in many cases. I'm not saying its perfect, nothing is, and

there is still a lot to learn and develop it better, BUT we as parents of

children with disabilities should be PRO and not against it. We are the only

ones who can fight to make the world more educated and accepting of our kids.

And if we seclude them we are only reaffirming that they have no place in

society and that they should be tucked away from the world. When we expose

typical children at a very early age to disabilities and educate them they just

might grow up NOT to be bullies.

I think are children deserve better.

Shiri

> >

> > He is at a point where maybe things could be handled in Florida.  He is

med -

> > high functioning. He will need long term shadowing services and one on

one

> > teaching after school. Grandparents are in Florida and need our help.

> >

> > We were hoping to find a private school with caring teachers that will allow

> > shadow.ÂÂ

> >

> > thank you. Neisy

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ________________________________

> > From: " evanr1977@ " <evanr1977@>

> > To: sList

> > Sent: Sun, February 5, 2012 7:12:12 AM

> > Subject: Re: Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Wow NJ has much better services. Florida is one of the worst for autism. Do

u

> > really have to move?

> >

> > Sent from my MOTOROLA ATRIXâ„¢ 2 on AT & T

> >

> > Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

> > >

> > >

> > >ÂÂ

> > >Hi,

> > >We live in New Jersey, we need to relocate to Dade or Broward County. Our

6year

> > >old with autism is in a typical kindergarten classroom, full time supported

> > >inclusion. Could we find that in those areas?

> > >Could you please let us know which schools (public or private) have good

> > >teachers that would be helping our child move forward and will work with

support

> > >staff and with us?

> > >If you would be moving to South Florida, which would be an ideal public or

> > >private school/ teachers for our situation?

> > >your help is inmensely appreciated. Neisy

> > >

> > >

> >

>

um, not all mainstreaming results in bullying "daily". That maybe be some experiences but not ALL. I think its helpful to have a positive tone in respecting each person's choices for their child, because each child is very different.

From: kingmeerkat@...To: sList Sent: Sunday, February 5, 2012 11:28:46 AMSubject: Re: Re: Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

Why would you want your child to be " mainstreamed" ? Do you want him her to be bullied daily?

To: sList Sent: Sunday, February 5, 2012 10:54:15 AMSubject: Re: Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

Neisy,In SFL, Public schools will not include a child in a mainstream class unless they are very high functioning. My son is verbal, not behavioral and academically appropriate for his age, but he needs support b/c he is not fully conversational and needs someone to help him stay on task, and we tried to fight for inclusion without success in the public school system. But there are several private options that take the Mckay scholarship (which after the school board gives him an IEP you can opt out of Public and use school funds to cover private school tuition). My med-high functioning 5 yr old is now at the North Miami Montessori school and they have inclusion and allow a shadow. The Mckay won't cover a shadow, but you can pay extra out of pocket and the school can provide one, or you can provide your own. Other than that there are very few good private options that will allow a shadow for med-high functioning children in an inclusive setting, I've called almost every Mckay covered private school in broward and dade and they say no on the spot. However, if you are willing to pay out of pocket for school tuition as well, you may find a private school that doesn't take Mckay that may be willing to allow a shadow.There are also a few really good specialized schools that are not primarily autism schools, and have some inclusion for high functioning kids that don't need a shadow but just need a small supported class. These programs are housed within regular private schools, but have a separate program. Some good programs that I've heard of are American Academy (within American Heritage school), Mountains peak (within Sagemont private school in weston), and the Cushman School in miami also has a separate program housed within the school. Again, admission all depends on how much support the child needs.I wish there were more schools that allowed for inclusion, maybe we should move to New Jersey!HTH,Shiri>> He is at a point where maybe things could be handled in Florida.  He is med - > high functioning. He will need long term shadowing services and one on one > teaching after school. Grandparents are in Florida and need our help. > > We were hoping to find a private school with caring teachers that will allow > shadow. > > thank you. Neisy> > > > > ________________________________> > To: sList > Sent: Sun, February 5, 2012 7:12:12 AM> Subject: Re: Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida> > > > > Wow NJ has much better services. Florida is one of the worst for autism. Do u > really have to move?> > Sent from my MOTOROLA ATRIX™ 2 on AT & T> > Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida> >> >> > > >Hi,> >We live in New Jersey, we need to relocate to Dade or Broward County. Our 6year > >old with autism is in a typical kindergarten classroom, full time supported > >inclusion. Could we find that in those areas?> >Could you please let us know which schools (public or private) have good > >teachers that would be helping our child move forward and will work with support > >staff and with us?> >If you would be moving to South Florida, which would be an ideal public or > >private school/ teachers for our situation?> >your help is inmensely appreciated. Neisy> >> >>

My son was NOT bullied at Eagle Point Elementary, Tequesta Trace Middle, or Cypress Bay High School.

To: sList Sent: Sunday, February 5, 2012 2:59 PMSubject: Re: Re: Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

um, not all mainstreaming results in bullying "daily". That maybe be some experiences but not ALL. I think its helpful to have a positive tone in respecting each person's choices for their child, because each child is very different.

From: kingmeerkat@...To: sList Sent: Sunday, February 5, 2012 11:28:46 AMSubject: Re: Re: Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

Neisy,In SFL, Public schools will not include a child in a mainstream class unless they are very high functioning. My son is verbal, not behavioral and academically appropriate for his age, but he needs support b/c he is not fully conversational and needs someone to help him stay on task, and we tried to fight for inclusion without success in the public school system. But there are several private options that take the Mckay scholarship (which after the school board gives him an IEP you can opt out of Public and use school funds to cover private school tuition). My med-high functioning 5 yr old is now at the North Miami Montessori school and they have inclusion and allow a shadow. The Mckay won't cover a shadow, but you can pay extra out of pocket and the school can provide one, or you can provide your own. Other than that there are very few good private options that will allow a shadow for med-high functioning children in an inclusive

setting, I've called almost every Mckay covered private school in broward and dade and they say no on the spot. However, if you are willing to pay out of pocket for school tuition as well, you may find a private school that doesn't take Mckay that may be willing to allow a shadow.There are also a few really good specialized schools that are not primarily autism schools, and have some inclusion for high functioning kids that don't need a shadow but just need a small supported class. These programs are housed within regular private schools, but have a separate program. Some good programs that I've heard of are American Academy (within American Heritage school), Mountains peak (within Sagemont private school in weston), and the Cushman School in miami also has a separate program housed within the school. Again, admission all depends on how much support the child needs.I wish there were more schools that allowed for inclusion, maybe we

should move to New Jersey!HTH,Shiri>> He is at a point where maybe things could be handled in Florida.  He is med - > high functioning. He will need long term shadowing services and one on one > teaching after school. Grandparents are in Florida and need our help. > > We were hoping to find a private school with caring teachers that will allow > shadow. > > thank you. Neisy> > > > > ________________________________> > To: sList > Sent: Sun, February 5, 2012 7:12:12 AM> Subject: Re: Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida> > > > > Wow NJ has much better services. Florida is one of the worst for autism. Do u > really have to move?> > Sent from my MOTOROLA ATRIX™ 2 on AT & T> > Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida> >> >> > > >Hi,> >We live in New Jersey, we need to relocate

to Dade or Broward County. Our 6year > >old with autism is in a typical kindergarten classroom, full time supported > >inclusion. Could we find that in those areas?> >Could you please let us know which schools (public or private) have good > >teachers that would be helping our child move forward and will work with support > >staff and with us?> >If you would be moving to South Florida, which would be an ideal public or > >private school/ teachers for our situation?> >your help is inmensely appreciated. Neisy> >> >>

Shiri,

Thank you for your feedback. I will look at North Miami Montessori. I am happy

to hear that you have found a good place for your son.

The website looks great, although I don't see pictures of the school.

Neisy

> >

> > He is at a point where maybe things could be handled in Florida.  He is med

-

> > high functioning.  He will need long term shadowing services and one on one

> > teaching after school.  Grandparents are in Florida and need our help.

> >

> > We were hoping to find a private school with caring teachers that will allow

> > shadow. 

> >

> > thank you. Neisy

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

u

> > really have to move?

> >

> >

> > >

> > >

> > > 

> > >Hi,

6year

> > >old with autism is in a typical kindergarten classroom, full time supported

support

> > >staff and with us?

> > >

> > >

> >

>

I just moved from PA.. my son was in their autistic support classroom. Seems good, right? No.. when they have their autistic moments, they kick the kid out of the class. This is AUTISTIC SUPPORT... so it is not that great in PA.

Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

> > >

> > >

> > >ÂÂ

> > >Hi,

> > >We live in New Jersey, we need to relocate to Dade or Broward County. Our 6year

> > >teachers that would be helping our child move forward and will work with support

> > >staff and with us?

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Could you please let us know, what does Eagle Point Elementary has for our kids?

thanks. Neisy

> >

> > He is at a point where maybe things could be handled in Florida.  He is

med -

> > high functioning. He will need long term shadowing services and one on

one

> > teaching after school. Grandparents are in Florida and need our help.

> >

> > shadow.ÂÂ

> >

> > thank you. Neisy

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

u

> > really have to move?

> >

> >

> > >

> > >

> > >ÂÂ

> > >Hi,

6year

support

> > >staff and with us?

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Thank you everybody for all your postings. I will be traveling there and

researching more. I have a couple of questions: the only way to get the McKay

scholarship is that the kid spends one year in a public school or is there a way

not to do that and get the scholarship?

another question, is there a private self paid insurance that cover one on one

ABA therapy?

How much is the salary of a shadow?

thank you! Neisy

>

u really have to move?

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hi,

> > We live in New Jersey, we need to relocate to Dade or Broward County. Our

6year old with autism is in a typical kindergarten classroom, full time

supported inclusion. Could we find that in those areas?

> > Could you please let us know which schools (public or private) have good

teachers that would be helping our child move forward and will work with support

staff and with us?

> > If you would be moving to South Florida, which would be an ideal public or

private school/ teachers for our situation?

> > your help is inmensely appreciated. Neisy

> >

> >

>

I thought I was really missing something there for a moment.

Well said Shiri. Not everyone's experience is the same.

My high school son was in a cluster program, but for the ones that were able to

do so (like my son, fortunately) they were out in the school with the rest of

the kids doing supervised activities of various sorts. My son helped with some

fundraisers and other things. For the most part, the neurotypical kids were

really kind to him. When he went onto the stage to get his " diploma " at the

end of 12th grade, a lot of the senior class already had theirs and were seated

on the stage. Most of them stood up and applauded him and cheered. I still

puddle up when I think of it.

Darnit, now I have to get kleenex before my mascara turns me into a raccoon.

Best,

Janet

Miami

> > >

> > > He is at a point where maybe things could be handled in Florida.  He is

med -

> > > high functioning. He will need long term shadowing services and one on

one

> > > teaching after school. Grandparents are in Florida and need our help.

> > >

> > > We were hoping to find a private school with caring teachers that will

allow

> > > shadow.ÂÂ

> > >

> > > thank you. Neisy

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ________________________________

> > > From: " evanr1977@ " <evanr1977@>

> > > To: sList

> > > Sent: Sun, February 5, 2012 7:12:12 AM

> > > Subject: Re: Seeking for help, info to move to Miami,

Florida

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Wow NJ has much better services. Florida is one of the worst for autism.

Do u

> > > really have to move?

> > >

> > > Sent from my MOTOROLA ATRIXâ„¢ 2 on AT & T

> > >

> > > Seeking for help, info to move to Miami, Florida

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >ÂÂ

> > > >Hi,

> > > >We live in New Jersey, we need to relocate to Dade or Broward County. Our

6year

> > > >old with autism is in a typical kindergarten classroom, full time

supported

> > > >inclusion. Could we find that in those areas?

> > > >Could you please let us know which schools (public or private) have good

> > > >teachers that would be helping our child move forward and will work with

support

> > > >staff and with us?

> > > >If you would be moving to South Florida, which would be an ideal public

or

> > > >private school/ teachers for our situation?

> > > >your help is inmensely appreciated. Neisy

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>