RemedySpot.com

Mandatory Organ Donation in the UK

Rate this topic

Guest guest

OK...here's one to start some lively discussion.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has proposed a system where one

would need to opt out of the nation's organ donation registry. Organs

would automatically be harvested upon death without the consent of the

decedent's family.

The goal, of course, is to close the gap between the number of donors

and those awaiting transplants. While part of me thinks that the goal

is admirable, there is something quite creepy about this.

Thoughts?

Tom

PSC 1999

Crohns 2004

This is actually common practice already in many countries. MartiTom wrote: OK...here's one to start some lively discussion.British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has proposed a system where onewould need to opt out of the nation's organ donation registry. Organswould automatically be harvested upon death without the consent of thedecedent's family.The goal, of course, is to close the gap between the number of donorsand those awaiting transplants. While part of me

thinks that the goalis admirable, there is something quite creepy about this.Thoughts?Tom PSC 1999Crohns 2004

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Actually I think other European countries already have this system, I think Italy for one.Since organ donation is not against any major religion it would seem that most people would not object. I personally think most people opt out just becausethey don't think about it. Myself for instance, I just never really thought about it but if someone I knew had asked me to, I would have. So if you know you will be a donor if you don't opt out , it would put the burden of choice on those whoreally object. LeeOK...here's one to start some lively discussion.British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has proposed a system where onewould need to opt out of the nation's organ donation registry. Organswould automatically be harvested upon death without the consent of thedecedent's family.The goal, of course, is to close the gap between the number of donorsand those awaiting transplants. While part of me thinks that the goalis admirable, there is something quite creepy about this.Thoughts?