RemedySpot.com

scooters

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Joyce

If you have private insurance they will sometimes pay. Medicare only pays if you need the scooter or chair for daily activities WITHIN your home. The need to get around outside is irrelevant to their decision. Here is their exact wording:

You have a health condition where you need help with activities of daily living like bathing, dressing, getting in or out of the bed or chair, moving around, and using the bathroom.

That makes qualifying difficult. Therefore, most of us on medicare have had to pay for our scooters or chairs. Fortunately, on places like craigslist there are regularly used ones in very good condition available in the $500 or so price range. For me the chair was cheap, but the van and the outfitting of it was expensive. Even there, on a new vehicle the manufacturers do offer assistance and, in Texas, the entire vehicle is exempt from sales tax if a lift is added. Now, I paid too much for my life, rather than looking for used ones.

Today I wouldn't qualify for one through medicare and don't use it much. However, I'm happy to be prepared for the time when I'm less mobile and to have it when I need it today.

>> this is for people with scooters:> who pays for them?> you or insurance?> thanks for your response> > Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennslvania>