RemedySpot.com

Re: Treadmill Routine

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Whew MB, you must have silver bracelets on both arms!

I try to use the treadmill 3x/wk. I start out 1.5, go to 1.8 for about 10 and that's it folks. Just can't do more...right now. Perhaps I will be able to increase as this become a habit. I've just started a few weeks ago.

Keep on...........

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Treadmill Routine

Beth/Jane othersI know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to anyothers who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What pacesand what levels of oxygen? Pulse rates?Nosy, aren't I?I'm thinking mine may need some modification.I use the treadmill every other day. I do breathing exercises inbetween, plus I'm pretty active most days.I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutes at1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and then goto 2.5. 2.5 is my maximum based on my balance.I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to 2.5mph on 4 lpm sometimes initially but ultimately to maintain my satsaround 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow down to 2mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bit more. Idon't let myself drop below 92% without slowling down or upping theoxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at 90% onone flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm with thepollen the way it is I sometimes can't stay at 2.5 mph.My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time between 105and 110 which is right for my age.In the 45 minutes, I typically will cover about 1.5 miles.

Bruce i see you use a spirometer. Is there a wrong or right way to use one?

sharon ph 2008

P.S. I like the yes dear you are attentive

Subject: Re: Treadmill RoutineTo: Breathe-Support Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 7:38 PM

MBYes, Dear.I was just curious as to what others are doing. I can imagine what myneeds would be at 3.5 mph if my balance was good enough to allow it.But, its not plus I get to the right range for my age at 2 and 2.5.Sounds like otherwise we're doing similar plans, with you doing a littlemore than me, but you are younger...lolI may want to consider a mask and turning up the oxygen some on thetreadmill. I think it might be better for me to be in the mid 90's atall times. Do you set it at 12 lpm to start even though I imagine at thelower speeds you don't need as much?I don't do weights but I do use my incentive spirometer religiously. Iknow my breathing habits are sometimes not what they should be so try toconcentrate on that too. I also can't use it like I should in keeping itin the good zone as I just can't hold like that (same reason I havetrouble with PFT's). But I do

take the deep full breaths.>> Bruce,> It sure sounds like you've got a good routine going....what are youthinking needs adjustment? Do you feel like you could/should be doingmore? Just be cautious about pushing too hard, ok? Just say, 'yesdear'. LOL>> I use the treadmill 4 or 5 days a week. I start out between 1.3 and1.5 mph for 2 or 3 minutes and then gradually move it up to 2.5 mphusually for between 45 and 50 minutes. During that time I do move it upto 3.5 mph for short bursts of 2 minutes or so. I do that 4 or 5 timesduring my time on the treadmill. My O2 needs on the treadmill arecompletely insane. I learned in rehab that for me to maintain sats inthe mid 90's while doing this type of exercise I need to wear

aventi-mask (cannulla just don't cut it) and I need 12 liters per minutein O2 flow. It was my 3rd week in rehab by the time we had this figuredout. This keeps my sats as I said in the mid-90's and my heart rate inthe 120's. In a perfect week this is what I do, I often have imperfectweeks. Such as when I was sick recently. I'm working back up to myroutine. The week after next I'm going to Peggy's for a few days and myroutine will vanish again. But more often than not this is> what I do and I feel better when I do it.>> I also still do the upper body routine with the 2 and 5 pound weightsthat I learned in rehab. That I only do 3 times a week and it typicallytakes me about 25 minutes.>>> Beth-Moderator> Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08>>>>>>> Treadmill Routine>>>> Beth/Jane others>> I know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to any> others who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What paces> and what levels of oxygen? Pulse rates?>> Nosy, aren't I?>> I'm thinking mine may need some modification.>> I use the treadmill every other day. I do breathing exercises in> between, plus I'm pretty active most days.>> I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutes at> 1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and then go> to 2.5. 2.5 is my maximum based on my balance.>> I use

4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to 2.5> mph on 4 lpm sometimes initially but ultimately to maintain my sats> around 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow down to 2> mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bit more. I> don't let myself drop below 92% without slowling down or upping the> oxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at 90%on> one flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm withthe> pollen the way it is I sometimes can't stay at 2.5 mph.>> My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time between105> and 110 which is right for my age.>> In the 45 minutes, I typically will cover about 1.5 miles.>

Sharon

Note this is an incentive spirometer I'm talking about, not the kind Gwynne posted about.

Yes and no. The right way for most is to try to see how high you can get it but at the same time to keep the ball in the good section. Typically one uses in sets of ten inspirations. Now, thats not the way I use it because of ability to keep the ball in that area. I take as deep a breath as I can, seeing how much I can inspire. I do sets of ten. This is basically what I was doing after my VATS in the hospital. I was told, and this applies only to me, not to worry about the little ball. I did the same thing in respiratory rehab where I did try to keep the ball centered in good. There are other breathing exercises one may do as well. I think breathing exercises such as the incentive spirometer are not emphasized enough. Maybe others will share some they picked up in rehab. I use my spirometer a couple of times at least every day. On the days between the treadmill I use it in a more concentrated effort some additional times.

Here is Cleveland Clinic's instruction on post surgery patients.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/surgery/hic_how_to_use_an_incentive_spirometer.aspx

Using your incentive spirometer after surgery will help you keep your lungs clear. The incentive spirometer also will help keep your lungs active when you are recovering from surgery, as if you were at home performing your daily activities.

How to use the incentive spirometer

Sit on the edge of your bed if possible, or sit up as far as you can in bed. Hold the incentive spirometer in an upright position. Place the mouthpiece in your mouth and seal your lips tightly around it. Breathe in slowly and as deeply as possible, raising the yellow piston toward the top of the column. The yellow coach indicator should be in the blue outlined area. Hold your breath as long as possible (for at least five seconds). Allow the piston to fall to the bottom of the column. Rest for a few seconds and repeat Steps one to five at least 10 times every hour when you are awake. Position the yellow indicator on the left side of the spirometer to show your best effort. Use the indicator as a goal to work toward during each repetition. After each set of 10 deep breaths, practice coughing to be sure your lungs are clear. If you have an incision, support your incision when coughing by placing a pillow firmly against it. Once you are able to get out of bed, walk in the hallway and cough well. You may stop using the incentive spirometer unless otherwise instructed by your health care provider.

-- In Breathe-Support , sharon prendergast wrote:>> Bruce i see you use a spirometer. Is there a wrong or right way to use one? > sharon ph 2008> P.S. I like the yes dear you are attentive> > > > Subject: Re: Treadmill Routine> To: Breathe-Support > Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 7:38 PM> > > > > > > > MB> > Yes, Dear.> > I was just curious as to what others are doing. I can imagine what my> needs would be at 3.5 mph if my balance was good enough to allow it.> But, its not plus I get to the right range for my age at 2 and 2.5.> Sounds like otherwise we're doing similar plans, with you doing a little> more than me, but you are younger...lol> > I may want to consider a mask and turning up the oxygen some on the> treadmill. I think it might be better for me to be in the mid 90's at> all times. Do you set it at 12 lpm to start even though I imagine at the> lower speeds you don't need as much?> > I don't do weights but I do use my incentive spirometer religiously. I> know my breathing habits are sometimes not what they should be so try to> concentrate on that too. I also can't use it like I should in keeping it> in the good zone as I just can't hold like that (same reason I have> trouble with PFT's). But I do take the deep full breaths.> > > >> > Bruce,> > It sure sounds like you've got a good routine going....what are you> thinking needs adjustment? Do you feel like you could/should be doing> more? Just be cautious about pushing too hard, ok? Just say, 'yes> dear'. LOL> >> > I use the treadmill 4 or 5 days a week. I start out between 1.3 and> 1.5 mph for 2 or 3 minutes and then gradually move it up to 2.5 mph> usually for between 45 and 50 minutes. During that time I do move it up> to 3.5 mph for short bursts of 2 minutes or so. I do that 4 or 5 times> during my time on the treadmill. My O2 needs on the treadmill are> completely insane. I learned in rehab that for me to maintain sats in> the mid 90's while doing this type of exercise I need to wear a> venti-mask (cannulla just don't cut it) and I need 12 liters per minute> in O2 flow. It was my 3rd week in rehab by the time we had this figured> out. This keeps my sats as I said in the mid-90's and my heart rate in> the 120's. In a perfect week this is what I do, I often have imperfect> weeks. Such as when I was sick recently. I'm working back up to my> routine. The week after next I'm going to Peggy's for a few days and my> routine will vanish again. But more often than not this is> > what I do and I feel better when I do it.> >> > I also still do the upper body routine with the 2 and 5 pound weights> that I learned in rehab. That I only do 3 times a week and it typically> takes me about 25 minutes.> >> >> > Beth-Moderator> > Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08> >> >> >> >> >> >> > Treadmill Routine> >> >> >> > Beth/Jane others> >> > I know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to any> > others who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What paces> > and what levels of oxygen? Pulse rates?> >> > Nosy, aren't I?> >> > I'm thinking mine may need some modification.> >> > I use the treadmill every other day. I do breathing exercises in> > between, plus I'm pretty active most days.> >> > I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutes at> > 1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and then go> > to 2.5. 2.5 is my maximum based on my balance.> >> > I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to 2.5> > mph on 4 lpm sometimes initially but ultimately to maintain my sats> > around 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow down to 2> > mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bit more. I> > don't let myself drop below 92% without slowling down or upping the> > oxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at 90%> on> > one flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm with> the> > pollen the way it is I sometimes can't stay at 2.5 mph.> >> > My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time between> 105> > and 110 which is right for my age.> >> > In the 45 minutes, I typically will cover about 1.5 miles.> >>

thanks bruce, also is there a certain range to be in? my sister in law who has no problems can reach 2000, but i can only go to 1500. i also have asthma.

sharon p ph 2008> > From: Bruce Moreland brucemoreland@ ...> Subject: Re: Treadmill Routine> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 7:38 PM> > > > > > > > MB> > Yes, Dear.> > I was just curious as to what others are doing. I can imagine what my> needs would be at 3.5 mph if my balance was good enough to allow it.> But, its not plus I get to the right range for my age at 2 and 2.5.> Sounds like otherwise we're doing similar plans, with you doing a

little> more than me, but you are younger...lol> > I may want to consider a mask and turning up the oxygen some on the> treadmill. I think it might be better for me to be in the mid 90's at> all times. Do you set it at 12 lpm to start even though I imagine at the> lower speeds you don't need as much?> > I don't do weights but I do use my incentive spirometer religiously. I> know my breathing habits are sometimes not what they should be so try to> concentrate on that too. I also can't use it like I should in keeping it> in the good zone as I just can't hold like that (same reason I have> trouble with PFT's). But I do take the deep full breaths.> > > >> > Bruce,> > It sure sounds like you've got a good routine going....what are you> thinking needs

adjustment? Do you feel like you could/should be doing> more? Just be cautious about pushing too hard, ok? Just say, 'yes> dear'. LOL> >> > I use the treadmill 4 or 5 days a week. I start out between 1.3 and> 1.5 mph for 2 or 3 minutes and then gradually move it up to 2.5 mph> usually for between 45 and 50 minutes. During that time I do move it up> to 3.5 mph for short bursts of 2 minutes or so. I do that 4 or 5 times> during my time on the treadmill. My O2 needs on the treadmill are> completely insane. I learned in rehab that for me to maintain sats in> the mid 90's while doing this type of exercise I need to wear a> venti-mask (cannulla just don't cut it) and I need 12 liters per minute> in O2 flow. It was my 3rd week in rehab by the time we had this figured> out. This keeps my sats as I said in the mid-90's and my heart rate in> the 120's. In a

perfect week this is what I do, I often have imperfect> weeks. Such as when I was sick recently. I'm working back up to my> routine. The week after next I'm going to Peggy's for a few days and my> routine will vanish again. But more often than not this is> > what I do and I feel better when I do it.> >> > I also still do the upper body routine with the 2 and 5 pound weights> that I learned in rehab. That I only do 3 times a week and it typically> takes me about 25 minutes.> >> >> > Beth-Moderator> > Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08> >> >> >> >> >> >> >

Treadmill Routine> >> >> >> > Beth/Jane others> >> > I know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to any> > others who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What paces> > and what levels of oxygen? Pulse rates?> >> > Nosy, aren't I?> >> > I'm thinking mine may need some modification.> >> > I use the treadmill every other day. I do breathing exercises in> > between, plus I'm pretty active most days.> >> > I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutes at> > 1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and then go> > to 2.5. 2.5 is my maximum based on my balance.> >> > I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to 2.5> > mph on 4 lpm sometimes initially

but ultimately to maintain my sats> > around 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow down to 2> > mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bit more. I> > don't let myself drop below 92% without slowling down or upping the> > oxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at 90%> on> > one flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm with> the> > pollen the way it is I sometimes can't stay at 2.5 mph.> >> > My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time between> 105> > and 110 which is right for my age.> >> > In the 45 minutes, I typically will cover about 1.5 miles.> >>

Hi Shaoron ,

I share this with you , not only do my Sats drop after eating I feel

awful and I cannot walk after that , yes the amount too matters .

We just have eat less or eat and sit quietly doing nothing.

Geeta

>

>

> Subject: Treadmill Routine

> To: Breathe-Support

> Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 1:40 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Beth/Jane others

>

> I know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to

any

> others who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What

paces

> and what levels of oxygen? Pulse rates?

>

> Nosy, aren't I?

>

> I'm thinking mine may need some modification.

>

> I use the treadmill every other day. I do breathing exercises in

> between, plus I'm pretty active most days.

>

> I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutes

at

> 1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and

then go

> to 2.5. 2.5 is my maximum based on my balance.

>

> I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to

> mph on 4 lpm sometimes initially but ultimately to maintain my sats

> around 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow down

to 2

> mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bit

more. I

> don't let myself drop below 92% without slowling down or upping the

> oxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at

90% on

> one flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm

with the

> pollen the way it is I sometimes can't stay at 2.5 mph.

>

> My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time

between 105

> and 110 which is right for my age.

>

> In the 45 minutes, I typically will cover about 1.5 miles.

>

Sharon

The key is to do what you can and to be aware of any drops. For

instance, if 1500 is what you can inspire and suddenly you find yourself

only able to do 1000, then be concerned. What you think is minor may

have turned major. 1000 was told to me as the danger point of pneumonia.

So, they get real concerned if thats all you can do. Even if you're

doing 2500 everyday and suddenly you hit one that you can only do 1500,

its a sign.

I remember in the hospital asking the respiratory tech what was normal

and she told me but then said she couldn't even come close to that and

told me what she could do. I also remember not being able to top 1000

until they put me on pain killer, which I wouldn't have taken for the

pain, but my lungs were obviously feeling it even if I didn't. Then that

night at 1 am I hit 1500 on my first puff and my respiratory tech and I

opened our eyes wide and stared at each other and said " did it read like

I think it did. " It was such a relief to us both to see it go up. I

remember the ten times I hit 1500 a couple and 1200 or more the other

eight and was on the way up. They would not have released me until

crossing 1000 either according to her.

> > >

> > > Bruce,

> > > It sure sounds like you've got a good routine going....what are

you

> > thinking needs adjustment? Do you feel like you could/should be

doing

> > more? Just be cautious about pushing too hard, ok? Just say, 'yes

> > dear'. LOL

> > >

> > > I use the treadmill 4 or 5 days a week. I start out between 1.3

and

> > 1.5 mph for 2 or 3 minutes and then gradually move it up to 2.5 mph

> > usually for between 45 and 50 minutes. During that time I do move it

up

> > to 3.5 mph for short bursts of 2 minutes or so. I do that 4 or 5

times

> > during my time on the treadmill. My O2 needs on the treadmill are

> > completely insane. I learned in rehab that for me to maintain sats

in

> > the mid 90's while doing this type of exercise I need to wear a

> > venti-mask (cannulla just don't cut it) and I need 12 liters per

minute

> > in O2 flow. It was my 3rd week in rehab by the time we had this

figured

> > out. This keeps my sats as I said in the mid-90's and my heart rate

in

> > the 120's. In a perfect week this is what I do, I often have

imperfect

> > weeks. Such as when I was sick recently. I'm working back up to my

> > routine. The week after next I'm going to Peggy's for a few days and

my

> > routine will vanish again. But more often than not this is

> > > what I do and I feel better when I do it.

> > >

> > > I also still do the upper body routine with the 2 and 5 pound

weights

> > that I learned in rehab. That I only do 3 times a week and it

typically

> > takes me about 25 minutes.

> > >

> > >

> > > Beth-Moderator

> > > Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Treadmill Routine

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Beth/Jane others

> > >

> > > I know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to

any

> > > others who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What

paces

> > > and what levels of oxygen? Pulse rates?

> > >

> > > Nosy, aren't I?

> > >

> > > I'm thinking mine may need some modification.

> > >

> > > I use the treadmill every other day. I do breathing exercises in

> > > between, plus I'm pretty active most days.

> > >

> > > I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutes

at

> > > 1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and

then go

> > > to 2.5. 2.5 is my maximum based on my balance.

> > >

> > > I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to

> > > mph on 4 lpm sometimes initially but ultimately to maintain my

sats

> > > around 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow down

to 2

> > > mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bit

more. I

> > > don't let myself drop below 92% without slowling down or upping

the

> > > oxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at

90%

> > on

> > > one flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm

with

> > the

> > > pollen the way it is I sometimes can't stay at 2.5 mph.

> > >

> > > My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time

between

> > 105

> > > and 110 which is right for my age.

> > >

> > > In the 45 minutes, I typically will cover about 1.5 miles.

> > >

> >

>

I do 2500 which, as I recall, is normal for a man in my age group (there aren't many of us, unfortunately).

I',m sloppy about using it daily and for more than a couple or three times. I've moved it to my desk and committed myself to daily exercises.

Jack79/IPF - UIP/dx06/05 Maine

Treadmill Routine> > >> > >> > >> > > Beth/Jane others> > >> > > I know you're a regular treadmill user but this

would also be toany> > > others who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? Whatpaces> > > and what levels of oxygen? Pulse rates?> > >> > > Nosy, aren't I?> > >> > > I'm thinking mine may need some modification.> > >> > > I use the treadmill every other day. I do breathing exercises in> > > between, plus I'm pretty active most days.> > >> > > I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutesat> > > 1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes andthen go> > > to 2.5. 2.5 is my maximum based on my balance.> > >> > > I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to2.5> > > mph on 4 lpm sometimes initially but ultimately to maintain mysats> > > around 92-93% I

have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow downto 2> > > mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bitmore. I> > > don't let myself drop below 92% without slowling down or uppingthe> > > oxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at90%> > on> > > one flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpmwith> > the> > > pollen the way it is I sometimes can't stay at 2.5 mph.> > >> > > My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my timebetween> > 105> > > and 110 which is right for my age.> > >> > > In the 45 minutes, I typically will cover about 1.5 miles.> > >> >>

Hi Geeta, Are you still in Ca.? If so I hope you are enjoying yourself. Has your 02 needs stayed the same? Just wondering if there is a difference here vs India. Send a few pictures. You know we are very nosey.. lol Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."  Hi Shaoron ,I share this with you , not only do my Sats drop after eating I feel awful and I cannot walk after that , yes the amount too matters .We just have eat less or eat and sit quietly doing nothing.Geeta> > > Subject: Treadmill Routine> To: Breathe-Support > Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 1:40 PM> > > > > > > > Beth/Jane others> > I know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to any> others who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What paces> and what levels of oxygen? Pulse rates?> > Nosy, aren't I?> > I'm thinking mine may need some modification.> > I use the treadmill every other day. I do breathing exercises in> between, plus I'm pretty active most days.> > I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutes at> 1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and then go> to 2.5. 2.5 is my maximum based on my balance.> > I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to 2.5> mph on 4 lpm sometimes initially but ultimately to maintain my sats> around 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow down to 2> mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bit more. I> don't let myself drop below 92% without slowling down or upping the> oxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at 90% on> one flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm with the> pollen the way it is I sometimes can't stay at 2.5 mph.> > My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time between 105> and 110 which is right for my age.> > In the 45 minutes, I typically will cover about 1.5 miles.>

Sher,

Silver bracelets??? I'm probably completely dense but what does that mean?

Your routine sounds great to me. We all start somewhere. You just do what you can do and not worry about what anyone else does!!

Beth-Moderator

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

Treadmill Routine

Beth/Jane othersI know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to anyothers who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What pacesand what levels of oxygen? Pulse rates?Nosy, aren't I?I'm thinking mine may need some modification.I use the treadmill every other day. I do breathing exercises inbetween, plus I'm pretty active most days.I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutes at1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and then goto 2.5. 2.5 is my maximum based on my balance.I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to 2.5mph on 4 lpm sometimes initially but ultimately to maintain my satsaround 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow down to 2mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bit more. Idon't let myself drop below 92% without slowling

down or upping theoxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at 90% onone flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm with thepollen the way it is I sometimes can't stay at 2.5 mph.My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time between 105and 110 which is right for my age.In the 45 minutes, I typically will cover about 1.5 miles.

MB.......Silver Bracelets....guess you aren't old enough....Wonder Woman!! TAA DAA.

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Treadmill Routine

Beth/Jane othersI know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to anyothers who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What pacesand what levels of oxygen? Pulse rates?Nosy, aren't I?I'm thinking mine may need some modification.I use the treadmill every other day. I do breathing exercises inbetween, plus I'm pretty active most days.I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutes at1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and then goto 2.5. 2.5 is my maximum based on my balance.I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to 2.5mph on 4 lpm sometimes initially but ultimately to maintain my satsaround 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow down to 2mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bit more. Idon't let myself drop below 92% without slowling down or upping theoxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at 90% onone flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm with thepollen the way it is I sometimes can't stay at 2.5 mph.My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time between 105and 110 which is right for my age.In the 45 minutes, I typically will cover about 1.5 miles.

Sher

What you're doing on the treadmill is great. You're doing something and

what you can. That's the thing, tailoring to ourselves. I'm so proud of

you just exercising at all as it's so easy to say I can't do much and

then do none.

>

> MB.......Silver Bracelets....guess you aren't old enough....Wonder

Woman!! TAA DAA.

>

>

> MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR.

> Nasturtiums

> Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

>

> Treadmill Routine

>

>

>

> Beth/Jane others

>

> I know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to any

> others who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What paces

>

> Nosy, aren't I?

>

>

>

> I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutes at

> 1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and then go

>

> I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to 2.5

> around 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow down to 2

> mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bit more. I

> oxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at 90%

on

> one flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm with

the

>

> My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time between

>

>

Beth

What is your upper body routine?Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennslvania

Subject: Re: Treadmill RoutineTo: Breathe-Support Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 7:57 PM

Bruce,

It sure sounds like you've got a good routine going....what are you thinking needs adjustment? Do you feel like you could/should be doing more? Just be cautious about pushing too hard, ok? Just say, 'yes dear'. LOL

I use the treadmill 4 or 5 days a week. I start out between 1.3 and 1.5 mph for 2 or 3 minutes and then gradually move it up to 2.5 mph usually for between 45 and 50 minutes. During that time I do move it up to 3.5 mph for short bursts of 2 minutes or so. I do that 4 or 5 times during my time on the treadmill. My O2 needs on the treadmill are completely insane. I learned in rehab that for me to maintain sats in the mid 90's while doing this type of exercise I need to wear a venti-mask (cannulla just don't cut it) and I need 12 liters per minute in O2 flow. It was my 3rd week in rehab by the time we had this figured out. This keeps my sats as I said in the mid-90's and my heart rate in the 120's. In a perfect week this is what I do, I often have imperfect weeks. Such as when I was sick recently. I'm working back up to my routine. The week after next I'm going to Peggy's for a few days and my routine will vanish again. But more

often than not this is what I do and I feel better when I do it.

I also still do the upper body routine with the 2 and 5 pound weights that I learned in rehab. That I only do 3 times a week and it typically takes me about 25 minutes.

Beth-Moderator

Treadmill Routine

Beth/Jane othersI know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to anyothers who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What pacesand what levels of oxygen? Pulse rates?Nosy, aren't I?I'm thinking mine may need some modification.I use the treadmill every other day. I do breathing exercises inbetween, plus I'm pretty active most days.I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutes at1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and then goto 2.5. 2.5 is my maximum based on my balance.I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to 2.5mph on 4 lpm sometimes initially but ultimately to maintain my satsaround 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow down to 2mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bit more. Idon't let myself drop below 92% without slowling

down or upping theoxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at 90% onone flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm with thepollen the way it is I sometimes can't stay at 2.5 mph.My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time between 105and 110 which is right for my age.In the 45 minutes, I typically will cover about 1.5 miles.

Yes, I did that for a long time.

Hope you are doing ok today.

Treadmill Routine>>>> Beth/Jane others>> I know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to any> others who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What paces> and what levels of oxygen? Pulse rates?>> Nosy, aren't I?>> I'm thinking mine may need some modification.>> I use the treadmill every other day. I do breathing exercises in> between, plus I'm pretty active most days.>> I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutes at> 1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and then go> to 2.5. 2.5 is my maximum based on my balance.>> I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to 2.5> mph on 4 lpm sometimes initially but ultimately to maintain my sats> around 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow down to 2> mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bit more. I> don't let myself drop below 92% without slowling down or upping the> oxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at 90%on> one flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm withthe> pollen the way it is I sometimes can't stay at 2.5 mph.>> My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time between105> and 110 which is right for my age.>> In the 45 minutes, I typically will cover about 1.5 miles.>

Joyce,

The upper body routine that I learned in rehab is what I continue to use to this day. The first part involves 2 lb weights though when I started rehab I was doing it without weights then .5 lb, then 1lb, and worked up to the 2lb. It takes about 15 minutes and involves a series of 10 arm movements while holding the weights. Each movement has 10 repititions. You work through the series 6 times for a total of 600 reps. They're simple movements, for instance imitating a crawl swim stroke, or a jogging motion etc.

The other part of it is more straightforward lifting focusing on specific upper body muscle groups. Each lift has 20 reps and I have graduated to 10 pound weights to do them.

I was taught that because we use our entire upper bodies to breathe instead of just our diaphragm and intercostals we need to strengthen our upper bodies. This can help us to breathe and do simple tasks like shampooing our hair or putting groceries away without becoming excessively short of breath.

Hope that helps!

Beth-Moderator

Treadmill Routine

Beth preaches rehab almost as much as I do oximeters but anyone

reading her exercise routines can see what she's learned and how she's

putting it all to use. If you haven't been I'd advise anyone to go. If

you're been in the past, you may want to go again. Much of the time the

doctors don't automatically refer you but I haven't found any yet who

won't refer you if you request. Also, find the best in your area.

Beth's was clearly better than mine but at that time for me I was on

private insurance and had very little choice.

>

> From: Beth mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>

> Subject: Re: Treadmill Routine

> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com

> Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 7:57 PM

>

>

> Bruce,

> It sure sounds like you've got a good routine going....what are you

thinking needs adjustment? Do you feel like you could/should be doing

more? Just be cautious about pushing too hard, ok? Just say, 'yes

dear'. LOL

>

> I use the treadmill 4 or 5 days a week. I start out between 1.3 and

1.5 mph for 2 or 3 minutes and then gradually move it up to 2.5 mph

usually for between 45 and 50 minutes. During that time I do move it up

to 3.5 mph for short bursts of 2 minutes or so. I do that 4 or 5 times

during my time on the treadmill. My O2 needs on the treadmill are

completely insane. I learned in rehab that for me to maintain sats in

the mid 90's while doing this type of exercise I need to wear a

venti-mask (cannulla just don't cut it) and I need 12 liters per minute

in O2 flow. It was my 3rd week in rehab by the time we had this figured

out. This keeps my sats as I said in the mid-90's and my heart rate in

the 120's. In a perfect week this is what I do, I often have imperfect

weeks. Such as when I was sick recently. I'm working back up to my

routine. The week after next I'm going to Peggy's for a few days and my

routine will vanish again. But more often than not this is

> what I do and I feel better when I do it.

>

> I also still do the upper body routine with the 2 and 5 pound weights

that I learned in rehab. That I only do 3 times a week and it typically

takes me about 25 minutes.

>

>

> Beth-Moderator

> Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Treadmill Routine

>

>

>

> Beth/Jane others

>

> I know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to any

> others who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What paces

>

> Nosy, aren't I?

>

>

>

> I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutes at

> 1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and then go

>

> I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to 2.5

> around 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow down to 2

> mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bit more. I

> oxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at 90%

on

> one flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm with

the

>

> My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time between

>

>

HiPeggy,

I am still in CA and will perhaps be here till Feb.Thanks for asking.

I am having a stable phase with no problems but for 2 episodes of

mild infection, I took the antibiotics for 5 days each and i am fine.

I am on 2lit o2 @ rest and 4to 5lit on exertion , i cannot walk

around too much so i use the wheel chair to go around in malls and

other places.It has not stopped me from sight seeing and I am having

a good time. Waiting for my grandson to arrive in Nov.

I will try to send you some pics.

Geeta

- In Breathe-Support , Peggy

wrote:

>

> Hi Geeta, Are you still in Ca.? If so I hope you are enjoying

> yourself. Has your 02 needs stayed the same? Just wondering if

there

> is a difference here vs India. Send a few pictures. You know we

are

> very nosey.. lol

>

> Love & Prayers, Peggy

> Florida, IPF/UIP 2004

>

> " I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet,

> when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly. "

>

>

> 

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi Shaoron ,

> I share this with you , not only do my Sats drop after eating I

feel

> awful and I cannot walk after that , yes the amount too matters .

> We just have eat less or eat and sit quietly doing nothing.

> Geeta

>

>

> >

> > From: Bruce Moreland <brucemoreland@>

> > Subject: Treadmill Routine

> > To: Breathe-Support

> > Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 1:40 PM

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Beth/Jane others

> >

> > I know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to

> any

> > others who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What

> paces

> > and what levels of oxygen? Pulse rates?

> >

> > Nosy, aren't I?

> >

> > I'm thinking mine may need some modification.

> >

> > I use the treadmill every other day. I do breathing exercises in

> > between, plus I'm pretty active most days.

> >

> > I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of

minutes

> at

> > 1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and

> then go

> > to 2.5. 2.5 is my maximum based on my balance.

> >

> > I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up

to

> 2.5

> > mph on 4 lpm sometimes initially but ultimately to maintain my

sats

> > around 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow

down

> to 2

> > mph and let my sats built back to 94% or so, then to 2.5 a bit

> more. I

> > don't let myself drop below 92% without slowling down or upping

the

> > oxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be

at

> 90% on

> > one flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm

> with the

> > pollen the way it is I sometimes can't stay at 2.5 mph.

> >

> > My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time

> between 105

> > and 110 which is right for my age.

> >

> > In the 45 minutes, I typically will cover about 1.5 miles.

> >

>

thanks BethPink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennslvania

From: Beth <mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: Treadmill RoutineTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 7:57 PM

Bruce,

It sure sounds like you've got a good routine going....what are you thinking needs adjustment? Do you feel like you could/should be doing more? Just be cautious about pushing too hard, ok? Just say, 'yes dear'. LOL

I use the treadmill 4 or 5 days a week. I start out between 1.3 and 1.5 mph for 2 or 3 minutes and then gradually move it up to 2.5 mph usually for between 45 and 50 minutes. During that time I do move it up to 3.5 mph for short bursts of 2 minutes or so. I do that 4 or 5 times during my time on the treadmill. My O2 needs on the treadmill are completely insane. I learned in rehab that for me to maintain sats in the mid 90's while doing this type of exercise I need to wear a venti-mask (cannulla just don't cut it) and I need 12 liters per minute in O2 flow. It was my 3rd week in rehab by the time we had this figured out. This keeps my sats as I said in the mid-90's and my heart rate in the 120's. In a perfect week this is what I do, I often have imperfect weeks. Such as when I was sick recently. I'm working back up to my routine. The week after next I'm going to Peggy's for a few days and my routine will vanish again. But more

often than not this is what I do and I feel better when I do it.

I also still do the upper body routine with the 2 and 5 pound weights that I learned in rehab. That I only do 3 times a week and it typically takes me about 25 minutes.

Beth-Moderator

Treadmill Routine