RemedySpot.com

Beth preaches rehab....lol

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Bruce,

Hmmmm you noticed that I think rehab is a good idea? And I was wondering if I was being too subtle...LOL I know I mention it alot but I do that because I got so much out of it. I do realize that I had the good fortune to have an extremely high quality program less than 15 minutes from my home in NY. Helen Hospital is an amazing rehabilitation hospital and research center. They have inpatient and outpatient facilities and offer many different types of rehabilitation services. They also do clinical research on site.

Their pulmonary rehab program is state of the art and what I found impressive was the staff was actually knowledgable about pulmonary fibrosis and tailored my program accordingly. Here is a link to their program. http://www.helenhayeshospital.org/outpatient_rehab/pulmonary_rehab.htm If anyone ever has a family member in the NY area who is in need of some type of rehab services Helen is the place!

But my program aside, even more modest offerings can make a huge difference in our lives. It's a safe way to figure out what we can do to help ourselves. We learn how much O2 we need to exercise and how our heart responds and how different medications affect our exercise capacity. It can only help.

Beth-Moderator

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

Treadmill Routine>>>>

Beth/Jane others>> I know you're a regular treadmill user but this would also be to any> others who are. What is your routine? How often? How long? What paces> and what levels of oxygen? Pulse rates?>> Nosy, aren't I?>> I'm thinking mine may need some modification.>> I use the treadmill every other day. I do breathing exercises in> between, plus I'm pretty active most days.>> I spend 45 minutes on the treadmill. I do just a couple of minutes at> 1.5 mph and then go to 2 mph. I stay there about 5 minutes and then go> to 2.5. 2.5 is my maximum based on my balance.>> I use 4 lpm and 5 lpm. I can go to 2 mph on 4 lpm and can go up to 2.5> mph on 4 lpm sometimes initially but ultimately to maintain my sats> around 92-93% I have to increase to 5 lpm. Otherwise, I slow down to 2> mph and let my sats built back to 94% or

so, then to 2.5 a bit more. I> don't let myself drop below 92% without slowling down or upping the> oxygen based both on room for error and seeing no reason to be at 90%on> one flow when I could be on 93% at a higher flow. Even on 5 lpm withthe> pollen the way it is I sometimes can't stay at 2.5 mph.>> My pulse rate rises to around 110, spending most of my time between105> and 110 which is right for my age.>> In the 45 minutes, I typically will cover about 1.5 miles.>