RemedySpot.com

Has anyone haeard of this?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Everyone: Have not been on a for a while. Has anyone heard of a scoop trach? I am undersanding it is not as radical as a trach. it is a small hole in your neck and the o2 is hooked to it. I am told it will help the complete stuffed/blocked nose I live with. It is a nightmare and I have tried everything you can think of. This blocked nose will not let me get enough o2 when it is completey blocked and I will do anything to unblock it. I do not have much time left and I am thinking quality here. So if anyone has heard of it please let me know. Bruce I am counting on you.

Amy

Amy

That I know of we've had one member who did the scoop trans-tracheal route. That was Lentz who unfortunately just passed away a couple of weeks ago. She had it done sometime last year I believe in order to be able to get more O2 directly into her lungs. As I remember she did have some difficulty with it initially with infection and such but if my memory serves she was glad that she did it. She had such a difficult time with fainting due to extremely low sats and the trans trach pretty much solved that problem.

There may have been others that had that surgery done that someone else may remember. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Beth-Moderator

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

Hi Everyone: Have not been on a for a while. Has anyone heard of a scoop trach? I am undersanding it is not as radical as a trach. it is a small hole in your neck and the o2 is hooked to it. I am told it will help the complete stuffed/blocked nose I live with. It is a nightmare and I have tried everything you can think of. This blocked nose will not let me get enough o2 when it is completey blocked and I will do anything to unblock it. I do not have much time left and I am thinking quality here. So if anyone has heard of it please let me know. Bruce I am counting on you.

Amy

Amy... I have not been aware that you don't have much time left. I'm so sorry you are facing transition and of course you are looking for comfort/quality.

I hope you have family nearby and good medical care!

God Bless

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Amy

Amy

I've read online of many people who have done it but they, frankly, sound more like ads for it than objective comments. is the only one I know who did it. It's actually very confusing as some say its for higher flows when cannulas don't work as well and other sources say its great for lower flows. I was bothered by some of the articles because they were individuals who just talked about the cosmetic benefits. It seems that doctors in some areas use it widely and then in other areas, like mine, pulmonologists have no experience with it. I read an article about a program tracking the standard trach it at the Heimlich Institute (same Heimlich) at Xavier University. That article was dated 1989 so obviously not new. Here is the link to the Scoop website.

http://www.tto2.com/

Now, if I were considering it I'd start trying to find a pulmonologist and surgeon who had been involved with many. TTO will provide you with lists of doctors in your area if you call or email them. I would ask the doctor how many he'd done, how many complications and what type, how many patients stayed with it versus changing back. I would want to speak to a doctor with wide experience.

You sound like the perfect candidate in many ways because of specific problems with your current delivery method. I guess thats sort of where I stand. I'm not having major problems (although some sinus and ear issues) with my current method. But, if I did, I'd be trying to find trach experts.

Then it becomes a better delivery method, which a trach clearly is more efficient than a cannula, versus the inconvenience and risks involved with a scoop. TTO has many links to articles regarding the scoop.

Here are some questions and answers on emphysema.net. Very interesting.

http://www.emphysema.net/TTO_Q & A.htm

Note the contraindications shown are:

1) Disabling anxiety. Patients who are so worried and anxious about the procedure and process that they are emotionally, mentally, and sometimes physically unable to properly maintain the catheter in good functioning order. 2) Patients who have either one or both of their vocal cords dysfunctional. The problem here is an impaired ability to cough, which might become a problem with mucus management following the procedure. 3) Significant anatomical deviation. This is rarely seen, but is easily ruled out by routine pre-procedure chest x-rays. 4) Poor compliance with medical therapy. Patients who undergo this therapy must commit to the progrom as outlined by their physician.

And for more information on TTO:

http://www.emphysema.net/tto.htm

Ok, now you've got my interest in it going again. Its an extremely interesting alternative.

>> Amy> That I know of we've had one member who did the scoop trans-tracheal route. That was Lentz who unfortunately just passed away a couple of weeks ago. She had it done sometime last year I believe in order to be able to get more O2 directly into her lungs. As I remember she did have some difficulty with it initially with infection and such but if my memory serves she was glad that she did it. She had such a difficult time with fainting due to extremely low sats and the trans trach pretty much solved that problem. > There may have been others that had that surgery done that someone else may remember. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!> > > Beth-Moderator> Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08 > > > > > > > Has anyone haeard of this?> > > Hi Everyone: Have not been on a for a while. Has anyone heard of a scoop trach? I am undersanding it is not as radical as a trach. it is a small hole in your neck and the o2 is hooked to it. I am told it will help the complete stuffed/blocked nose I live with. It is a nightmare and I have tried everything you can think of. This blocked nose will not let me get enough o2 when it is completey blocked and I will do anything to unblock it. I do not have much time left and I am thinking quality here. So if anyone has heard of it please let me know. Bruce I am counting on you.> Amy>