RemedySpot.com

India

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi All,

My brother Dean is in India for the next 10 days, coincidently in Mumbai where our Geeta is from. He is blogging each day and I thought some of you might be interested in taking a "virtual tour" of India through Dean's eyes. I still can't believe Geeta braved the long flight to come to the US and I wish I had enough courage to go to India myself. It truly is an amaing country! Love you all-

Day One

Posted by: dwhite in Uncategorized

Destinations:

· City of Mumbai (previously known as Bombay)

· Elephant Island

· Surrounding areas

Purpose: Get acquainted with India Culture

Tomorrow: Maharashtre Fellowship for the Deaf (school for deaf children)

Highlights:

Driving through the traffic is better than any Disneyland ride Amazing Culture (work hard, take time to relax and enjoy friendship & family) Monkey that took Dean’s water and slapped him in the face when he tried to get it back Crazy pink hats at a wedding ceremony (see photo below)

Quote of the day: “In India we have a saying about getting through the traffic, ‘You need a good horn, good brakes, and good luck!’”

I wish I had a grasp of my own language to describe in detail the flood of images, emotions, and senses that soaked into me today. India is known for their hospitality, their wonderful spices, and collage of culture. I would describe it to a beautiful multicolored canvas that when you are extremely close the colors seems to wildly blend and it is only when you step back you see the portrait coming into focus …and it is breath taking. I will strive to only give a glimpse, for I will be getting to bed every day late and up early.

Driving & Culture

Today’s goal was to get us immersed into the culture before we begin seeing the harder things. We began with an hour shuttle ride through Mumbai to a port where we caught a boat for Elephant Island. The 17 million people who live in Mumbai make it one of the most populated cities in the world. The traffic is compared to someone yelling fire in a movie theatre and watching everyone trying to escape. They drive on the opposite side of the road than we do, the cars, bikes, pedestrians, and anything else, come within inches of each other …constantly. The ’skill’ to navigate requires aggression, persistence, multiple uses of horn / lights, and an out of body connection with one’s

vehicle to know how to come within an inch of another’s vehicle. Our driver, Mr. Haj the Jedi, drove in lanes that did not exist, facing opposing traffic, and ran other cars nearly off the street constantly. I drove up front of course, didn’t want to miss a second of the action.

We arrived at the main port of which is called “the Gateway of India.” We took a ferry to Elephant Island (took about an hour). After arriving we walked up about 120 steps and to the Elephant Caves. These are historical caves that were carved out of the mountain displaying different heliographic of Shiva the three headed God of the Hindu faith. Shiva the Creator, Shiva the Destroyer and Shiva the Provider. Interesting that in Christianity God is also displayed as a triune God: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. It was so hot and humid; I reach a new level of sweatiness that I never thought was possible. So much

that others in our group took pictures of my sweat for future blackmail.

Monkeys

When leaving the caves we ran into a bunch of monkeys. It was fun taking picture of them, watching them pick bugs off each other and jumping around. Then a larger monkey jumped out of a tree and snatched my liter bottle of water out of my hands and took off. Well, you know me … I went after him! Everyone thought the monkey was going to bite me and give me rabies so they were shouting for me to stop chasing and provoking the monkey more. I wanted to get my water back from the rascal. But when I did, he reached out and slapped me in the face. Since he started hissing, I began to listen to reason and let him enjoy my water. But it was hilarious! And the highlight for

many people in the group. Later I found out that rabies do run ramped in those monkeys and I was lucky he didn’t scratch my face. Very fun though!

Pink Hats

After we got back to the hotel, we had dinner and when we were walking back into the lobby we ran into a wedding that was just beginning. The groom and his side of the family were in the lobby and the bride (who we didn’t see) was downstairs in a different part of the hotel. The men wore the funniest pink hats and the groom was totally decked out! I was amazed. When the groom walked past me with his entourage, one of the groom’s men asked if I wanted of photo. Of course I did! Once in a lifetime photo! The groom was beaming ready to meet his bride … and I was beaming that got such a great photo!

Tomorrow we go to the school where they send all the deaf children. They live here full time and come from all surrounding areas. I look forward to doing a little magic show for them.

Thought of the Day

I passed a statue today of a mother holding a child. The caption under it read, “A child gives birth to a mother.” India is a different way of thought and life. They work hard but spend a great amount of time with friendship and with their families. They don’t flood their lives with countless activities for those activities would rob them from what is most important: the lives of those they love.

Dean

R. (52) Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 Carlsbad, California

Subject: Re: Re: Have a question about the tubing we wear...............To: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, October 11, 2008, 11:20 AM

ML... I speak frankly about the depression because I've lived it since I was a young teen. I've learned ways to handle it better as I've grown older. We're close to the same age btw.

We just HAVE to accept the things we cannot change ML. Or we pay the price.

Change what you CAN and let everything else GO! Sounds simple huh? When I can do it I'm feeling soooo much better.

When I can't do it I ask myself "why am I holding on to this? I'm getting something out of holding on to it or I wouldn't do it"

We are both lucky to have such good husbands and if your tubing is the worst problem you have girlfriend (with IPF) then give yourself a shake like a wet dog and accept what you can't change. Those dorks are long gone now and you're still living with the fear of "what if". In the land of "What If" anything can happen.

I'm thinking it must be very difficult to live every day with the results of the eye surgery and the patch. Hopefully seeing the Dr will bring some solutions.

Ok. Lecture over dear friend. lol.

I feel sad for anyone dealing with depression.. .

Love ya!

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Have a question about the tubing we wear........ .......> > > I know there are many more people that have worn the oxy. tubing a

> lot longer than me. This week, it has been over a year now, 24/7. I > can not go without it at all. Here is my dilemma.> > You all may have suggested to me the different ways to wear the > cannula, upwards or downwards (and in her lady's chamber) whatever. > Anyhow, it is the most devastating part of PF for me. Others may be > different. I have come to a point that I can not take it anymore > with the cannula. I even tried clothes pins on my clothes, etc. you > name it.> > I am becoming increasingly depressed as too, I still am wearing the > patch and have absolutely no feeling on the left side of my face and > head since my detached retinal surgery last March. I have an appt > with surg Nov. 23rd to discuss cataract surg. The eye surg I am not > concerned about, that will be great, wish I could have it today, it

> is the numbness of the face and head, eye patch which if I don't wear > it, everything is still blurry.> > I just would like to have the group here give me some suggestions as > how to deal with the tubing or place it so it doesn't pull.> > I am different, as every one of us is, in that I have so much energy, > am always hopping up and down, but slower these days, very busy, and > I keep the level of oxy. #5 when alone except when I am working > around here. Then 7-8. Actually the only disability I feel (because > I have no pain anywhere)is this tubing. > > I hope someone here can give me some suggestions that will help me > with this problem. I know we all are in it and facing it each and > every day. But since the incident about 2 wks ago with the workmen > in here shutting off the power without telling me and I

got sick, and > was sick for 3 days, I have become ultra depressed and can't seem to > snap out of it.> > I LOVE YOU THIS DAY !!> Lou - (74) richmond-va> IPF - 02>

Thanks for sharing that....it's fascinating stuff and the incident with the monkey is hilarious. I guess he really is fortunate that he didn't get scratched or bitten. It sounds like your brother is really having an amazing adventure! I can't wait to read more!

Beth-Moderator

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

Have a question about the tubing we wear........

........> > > I know there are many more people that have worn the oxy. tubing a > lot longer than me. This week, it has been over a year now, 24/7. I > can not go without it at all. Here is my dilemma.> > You all may have suggested to me the different ways to wear the > cannula, upwards or downwards (and in her lady's chamber) whatever. > Anyhow, it is the most devastating part of PF for me. Others may be > different. I have come to a point that I can not take it anymore > with the cannula. I even tried clothes pins on my clothes, etc. you > name it.> > I am becoming increasingly depressed as too, I still am wearing the > patch and have absolutely no feeling on the left side of my face and > head since my detached retinal surgery last March. I have an appt > with surg Nov. 23rd to discuss cataract surg. The

eye surg I am not > concerned about, that will be great, wish I could have it today, it > is the numbness of the face and head, eye patch which if I don't wear > it, everything is still blurry.> > I just would like to have the group here give me some suggestions as > how to deal with the tubing or place it so it doesn't pull.> > I am different, as every one of us is, in that I have so much energy, > am always hopping up and down, but slower these days, very busy, and > I keep the level of oxy. #5 when alone except when I am working > around here. Then 7-8. Actually the only disability I feel (because > I have no pain anywhere)is this tubing. > > I hope someone here can give me some suggestions that will help me > with this problem. I know we all are in it and facing it each and > every day. But since the

incident about 2 wks ago with the workmen > in here shutting off the power without telling me and I got sick, and > was sick for 3 days, I have become ultra depressed and can't seem to > snap out of it.> > I LOVE YOU THIS DAY !!> Lou - (74) richmond-va> IPF - 02>

, This is just so much fun. I'll bet this will tickle Geeta. LOVE the pink hats. Is your brother there on business or pleasure? Sounds like pleasure to me. We had a ton of Monkeys here in Silver Springs from when the Tarzan movies were made.They had to trap them out. We took a ride (no wake) down the Silver run and they came from everywhere. There were signs "don't feed the monkeys or come to close to the bank" We frisbeed a slice of bread and sure enough they rushed us. My Grandson loved it, scared me silly. That was a few years ago ( 18) wow how time fliesHave a God Blessed Sunday.  Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."  Hi All,  My brother Dean is in India for the next 10 days, coincidently in Mumbai where our Geeta is from.  He is blogging each day and I thought some of you might be interested in taking a "virtual tour" of India through Dean's eyes.  I still can't believe Geeta braved the long flight to come to the US and I wish I had enough courage to go to India myself. It truly is an amaing country!  Love you all- Day One   Posted by: dwhite   in UncategorizedDestinations:·         City of Mumbai (previously known as Bombay)·         Elephant Island·         Surrounding areasPurpose: Get acquainted with India CultureTomorrow: Maharashtre Fellowship for the Deaf (school for deaf children)Highlights:Driving through the traffic is better than any Disneyland rideAmazing Culture (work hard, take time to relax and enjoy friendship & family)Monkey that took Dean’s water and slapped him in the face when he tried to get it backCrazy pink hats at a wedding ceremony (see photo below)Quote of the day: “In India we have a saying about getting through the traffic, ‘You need a good horn, good brakes, and good luck!’”I wish I had a grasp of my own language to describe in detail the flood of images, emotions, and senses that soaked into me today.  India is known for their hospitality, their wonderful spices, and collage of culture.  I would describe it to a beautiful multicolored canvas that when you are extremely close the colors seems to wildly blend and it is only when you step back you see the portrait coming into focus …and it is breath taking.  I will strive to only give a glimpse, for I will be getting to bed every day late and up early.Driving & CultureToday’s goal was to get us immersed into the culture before we begin seeing the harder things.  We began with an hour shuttle ride through Mumbai to a port where we caught a boat for Elephant Island.  The 17 million people who live in Mumbai make it one of the most populated cities in the world.  The traffic is compared to someone yelling fire in a movie theatre and watching everyone trying to escape.  They drive on the opposite side of the road than we do, the cars, bikes, pedestrians, and anything else, come within inches of each other …constantly.  The ’skill’ to navigate requires aggression, persistence, multiple uses of horn / lights, and an out of body connection with one’s vehicle to know how to come within an inch of another’s vehicle.  Our driver, Mr. Haj the Jedi, drove in lanes that did not exist, facing opposing traffic, and ran other cars nearly off the street constantly.  I drove up front of course, didn’t want to miss a second of the action.We arrived at the main port of which is called “the Gateway of India.” We took a ferry to Elephant Island (took about an hour).  After arriving we walked up about 120 steps and to the Elephant Caves.  These are historical caves that were carved out of the mountain displaying different heliographic of Shiva the three headed God of the Hindu faith.  Shiva the Creator, Shiva the Destroyer and Shiva the Provider.  Interesting that in Christianity God is also displayed as a triune God: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.  It was so hot and humid; I reach a new level of sweatiness that I never thought was possible.  So much that others in our group took pictures of my sweat for future blackmail.MonkeysWhen leaving the caves we ran into a bunch of monkeys.  It was fun taking picture of them, watching them pick bugs off each other and jumping around.  Then a larger monkey jumped out of a tree and snatched my liter bottle of water out of my hands and took off.  Well, you know me … I went after him!  Everyone thought the monkey was going to bite me and give me rabies so they were shouting for me to stop chasing and provoking the monkey more.  I wanted to get my water back from the rascal.  But when I did, he reached out and slapped me in the face.  Since he started hissing, I began to listen to reason and let him enjoy my water. But it was hilarious!  And the highlight for many people in the group.  Later I found out that rabies do run ramped in those monkeys and I was lucky he didn’t scratch my face.  Very fun though!Pink HatsAfter we got back to the hotel, we had dinner and when we were walking back into the lobby we ran into a wedding that was just beginning.  The groom and his side of the family were in the lobby and the bride (who we didn’t see) was downstairs in a different part of the hotel.  The men wore the funniest pink hats and the groom was totally decked out!  I was amazed.  When the groom walked past me with his entourage, one of the groom’s men asked if I wanted of photo.  Of course I did!  Once in a lifetime photo!  The groom was beaming ready to meet his bride … and I was beaming that got such a great photo! Tomorrow we go to the school where they send all the deaf children.  They live here full time and come from all surrounding areas.  I look forward to doing a little magic show for them. Thought of the DayI passed a statue today of a mother holding a child.  The caption under it read, “A child gives birth to a mother.”  India is a different way of thought and life.  They work hard but spend a great amount of time with friendship and with their families.  They don’t flood their lives with countless activities for those activities would rob them from what is most important: the lives of those they love.Dean  R. (52)  Sarcoid/PF  3/2006   Carlsbad, California--- On Sat, 10/11/08, Sher Bauman <bofus (AT) wbcable (DOT) net> wrote:From: Sher Bauman <bofus (AT) wbcable (DOT) net>Subject: Re: Re: Have a question about the tubing we wear...............To: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, October 11, 2008, 11:20 AMML...  I speak frankly about the depression because I've lived it since I was a young teen.  I've learned ways to handle it better as I've grown older. We're close to the same age btw. We just HAVE to accept the things we cannot change ML. Or we pay the price.Change what you CAN and let everything else GO!  Sounds simple huh? When I can do it I'm feeling soooo much better.When I can't do it I ask myself "why am I holding on to this? I'm getting something out of holding on to it or I wouldn't do it" We are both lucky to have such good husbands and if your tubing is the worst problem you have girlfriend (with IPF) then give yourself a shake like a wet dog and accept what you can't change. Those dorks are long gone now and you're still living with the fear of "what if".  In the land of "What If" anything can happen.I'm thinking it must be very difficult to live every day with the results of the eye surgery and the patch. Hopefully seeing the Dr will bring some solutions. Ok. Lecture over dear friend. lol. I feel sad for anyone dealing with depression.. .Love ya!MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR.   NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there! Have a question about the tubing we wear........ .......> > > I know there are many more people that have worn the oxy. tubing a > lot longer than me. This week, it has been over a year now, 24/7. I > can not go without it at all. Here is my dilemma.> > You all may have suggested to me the different ways to wear the > cannula, upwards or downwards (and in her lady's chamber) whatever. > Anyhow, it is the most devastating part of PF for me. Others may be > different. I have come to a point that I can not take it anymore > with the cannula. I even tried clothes pins on my clothes, etc. you > name it.> > I am becoming increasingly depressed as too, I still am wearing the > patch and have absolutely no feeling on the left side of my face and > head since my detached retinal surgery last March. I have an appt > with surg Nov. 23rd to discuss cataract surg. The eye surg I am not > concerned about, that will be great, wish I could have it today, it > is the numbness of the face and head, eye patch which if I don't wear > it, everything is still blurry.> > I just would like to have the group here give me some suggestions as > how to deal with the tubing or place it so it doesn't pull.> > I am different, as every one of us is, in that I have so much energy, > am always hopping up and down, but slower these days, very busy, and > I keep the level of oxy. #5 when alone except when I am working > around here. Then 7-8. Actually the only disability I feel (because > I have no pain anywhere)is this tubing. > > I hope someone here can give me some suggestions that will help me > with this problem. I know we all are in it and facing it each and > every day. But since the incident about 2 wks ago with the workmen > in here shutting off the power without telling me and I got sick, and > was sick for 3 days, I have become ultra depressed and can't seem to > snap out of it.> > I LOVE YOU THIS DAY !!> Lou - (74) richmond-va> IPF - 02>

Wow Peggy! Monkeys in Florida, who would have thought it! Dean is there on a ministry trip. One of the churches he helped plant ( in Texas) sent them over to bring school supplies to three different children's schools/orphanages. One for the deaf, one for children whose parents died from AIDs and one for children whose mothers work in the red light district. He is a wonderful speaker and does amateur magic so the kids should be well entertained. They have sightseeing planned for the first and last day but the 8 in the middle they will be hard at work delivering supplies and helping to relieve the Indian workers at the schools. I am glad you enjoyed his blog. Love you- R. (52) Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 Carlsbad, California

From: Sher Bauman <bofus (AT) wbcable (DOT) net>Subject: Re: Re: Have a question about the tubing we wear........ .......To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Saturday, October 11, 2008, 11:20 AM

ML... I speak frankly about the depression because I've lived it since I was a young teen. I've learned ways to handle it better as I've grown older. We're close to the same age btw.

We just HAVE to accept the things we cannot change ML. Or we pay the price.

Change what you CAN and let everything else GO! Sounds simple huh? When I can do it I'm feeling soooo much better.

When I can't do it I ask myself "why am I holding on to this? I'm getting something out of holding on to it or I wouldn't do it"

We are both lucky to have such good husbands and if your tubing is the worst problem you have girlfriend (with IPF) then give yourself a shake like a wet dog and accept what you can't change. Those dorks are long gone now and you're still living with the fear of "what if". In the land of "What If" anything can happen.

I'm thinking it must be very difficult to live every day with the results of the eye surgery and the patch. Hopefully seeing the Dr will bring some solutions.

Ok. Lecture over dear friend. lol.

I feel sad for anyone dealing with depression.. .

Love ya!

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Have a question about the tubing we wear........ .......> > > I know there are many more people that have worn the oxy. tubing a > lot longer than me. This week, it has been over a year now, 24/7. I > can not go without it at all. Here is my dilemma.> > You all may have suggested to me the different ways to wear the > cannula, upwards or downwards (and in her lady's chamber) whatever. > Anyhow, it is the most devastating part of PF for me. Others may be > different. I have come to a point that I can not take it anymore > with the

cannula. I even tried clothes pins on my clothes, etc. you > name it.> > I am becoming increasingly depressed as too, I still am wearing the > patch and have absolutely no feeling on the left side of my face and > head since my detached retinal surgery last March. I have an appt > with surg

Nov. 23rd to discuss cataract surg. The eye surg I am not > concerned about, that will be great, wish I could have it today, it > is the numbness of the face and head, eye patch which if I don't wear > it, everything is still blurry.> > I just would like to have the group here give me some suggestions as > how to deal with the tubing or place it so it doesn't pull.> > I am different, as every one of us is, in that I have so much energy, > am always hopping up and down, but slower these days, very busy, and > I keep the level of oxy. #5 when alone except when I am working > around here. Then 7-8. Actually the only disability I feel (because > I have no pain anywhere)is this tubing. > > I hope someone here can give me some suggestions that will help me > with this problem. I know we all are in it and facing it each and > every day. But since the incident about 2 wks ago with the workmen > in here shutting off the power without telling me and I got sick, and > was sick for 3 days, I have become ultra depressed and can't seem to > snap out of it.> > I LOVE YOU THIS DAY !!> Lou - (74) richmond-va> IPF - 02>