RemedySpot.com

Re: Another newbie question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

And is there a way to add your diagnosis/date thereof and location without having to type it each time?

Barbara McD

IPF, Sept 2008

Beautiful Western NC

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:01:10 PMSubject: Another newbie question

I was a pollworker yesterday, and spent the entire day coughing up a storm. (As you all know, not a lot of fun coughing in public like that.) Today, too, coughing was the order of the day, and of course I'm tired from the 14 hour day yesterday, and all the coughing. Do cough supressants help? Does leaving the coughing unchecked cause harm?

Barbara,

The answer is....it depends. I'm sure you'll get other answers here but this is my take. The first thing I would ask is if you know why you're coughing. I cough like crazy when my O2 sats are low. It's one of the ways I know for sure that I'm not getting enough oxygen.

In general most times you hear that if the cough is productive you don't want to supress it. That's because if there's stuff in your breathing passages that needs to be brought up and out then the cough is doing it's job. If it's just the typical pf dry hacky cough it's usually safe to use cough suppressants.

To be safe I would check with my doctor to see what he/she would suggest. Some use Tessalon which requires an rx and others use over the counter cough medicine with the ingredient dextro methorphan (that's the DM you see on alot of OTC cough medicines, it's the cough suppressant)

If your cough is productive and your having difficulty bringing secretions up and out I would suggest taking either Mucinex or the generic version. It thins the mucous and makes it easier to bring up.

Lastly lots of folks her use the supplement NAC. It's an amino acid that has the effect of thinning the mucous in our breathing passages. It is also a strong anti-oxidant. I personally don't take it as it aggravates my reflux but many many people on this board take it with no problem at all.

I hope some of that helps and I'm sure you'll get other answers!

Beth-Moderator

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

"Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Miss Frizzle

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:01:10 PMSubject: Another newbie question

I was a pollworker yesterday, and spent the entire day coughing up a storm. (As you all know, not a lot of fun coughing in public like that.) Today, too, coughing was the order of the day, and of course I'm tired from the 14 hour day yesterday, and all the coughing. Do cough supressants help? Does leaving the coughing unchecked cause harm?

Barbara,

If you're reading and responding from the website, there is no way to set up a permanant signature. If you're replying via your email, you can set up a signature in the email options area.

At the top right of your email page, there is button that says Options. Click on that, then on Mail Options then signature. That's where you can set a signature up for your email.

Hope that helps!

Beth-Moderator

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

"Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Miss Frizzle

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:11:30 PMSubject: Re: Another newbie question

And is there a way to add your diagnosis/date thereof and location without having to type it each time?

Barbara McD

IPF, Sept 2008

Beautiful Western NC

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9

From: Barbara <bamny (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:01:10 PMSubject: Another newbie question

yes but i forget how i did it

i think i had to go into the support group web site to set up the signature

i don't know if it can be done in the yahoo mail sitePink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Subject: Re: Another newbie questionTo: Breathe-Support Date: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 7:11 PM

Barbara McD

IPF, Sept 2008

Beautiful Western NC

From: Barbara <bamny (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:01:10 PMSubject: Another newbie question

cough suppressants did nothing for my dry cough

in the beginning i got script for tessalon--little round gel pills

they helped me sleep, but did nothing for he dry coughPink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Subject: Another newbie questionTo: Breathe-Support Date: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 7:01 PM