RemedySpot.com

Generic alternatives

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Unfortunately we are stuck without a generic alternative to Astra Zeneca's Nexium until May of 2014. Astra Zeneca has patent protection of this drug which is esomeprazole magnesium until that time. Ranbaxy, a manufacturer of many generic drugs will begin manufacturing a significant percentage of Nexium for Astra Zeneca beginning in 2010 but will not be allowed to market the product that they manufacture as a generic alternative for an additional 4 years.

Astra Zeneca is particularly zealous in guarding what they consider to be their intellectual property. They are under alot of pressure however to allow the generic to be sold in the US, Especially since the generic alternative for Protonix (Pantoprazole) became available this year. Prilosec of course has had a generic alternative (omeprazole) for quite some time now. All of these drugs are proton pump inhibitors and cause the stomach to produce much less acid when they are taken properly. Though they are similar to each other they are not identical. Some will find Prilosec works fine, others Nexium or Protoix.

In order for a generic drug to be sold as an equivalent to the brand it must pass through rigorous testing by the FDA so that they can determine that the active ingredient is chemically identical to the brand. The inactive ingredients (fillers, coloring etc) can vary but the chemical action of the drug itself must be identical to the brand name drug.

Beth-Moderator

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

"Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Miss Frizzle

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Friday, November 7, 2008 11:39:05 AMSubject: Re: medical insurance

PinkI was told in no uncertain terms by my Gastroenterologist not to switchto Prilosec. Now, there is much controversy there and many who feel itsjust as good and that Nexium has just brainwashed through theirmarketing. I did try Prilosec briefly and for me it did not work. I'm on80 MG per day of Nexium and will continue at that level forever. Theydon't want to insert anything in my esophagus to check on acid or itscondition or stomach as I've had so much invasion of it before and itsnot in good condition. Rest assured if I could I'd be on the Prilosecgeneric. Interesting also that in other countries there are generics ofNexium. I'm not trying them as my prescription doesn't allow it plusgetting them elsewhere I feel more comfortable seeing the Nexium brandon them.> >> > frustrated!! ! medicare started August 1--got a decent supplemental> plan--Blue Cross Select Advantage Gold. For a few $$$ more, it covered> a lot of stuff. Notified that it is being discontinued as of jan 2009.> they will switch me to Select Advantage Silver. premium is less, but> copays and deductibles are more. Need to find a different plan, but so> far, the ones that i looked at are not as good. will continue the> search...> >> > Pink

Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania> >>

MB

Ranbaxy was bought off again with a deal that included rights to the

generic a year prior to anyone else in the US. Several India

manufacturers to still manufacture generics, just not for sale in the

US.

Astra Zeneca has a history filled with accusations against them. They

plead guilty to healthcare crimes over Zoladex in the US in 2003 and

paid $355 million. They've been under investigation by Britain's Serious

Fraud Office. The basis of Ranbaxy's case in their suit by AZ to make

the product generic in the US is a widely held belief that Astra Zeneca

held Nexium back just to use as the time got shorter on Prilosec. There

are other technical claims. Many believe Ranbaxy had a winnable case but

by the time it finally progressed would have gained much less than in

this deal.

Canadian online pharmacies (all fully licensed and with Canada bricks

and mortar) which have been approved by the state of Minnesota also sell

Generic Esomeprazole although it is my understanding they are generally

not technically sold by the Canadian pharmacy (quite complicated so I

stuck with brand).

I hate doing business with Astra Zenica but am stuck between a rock and

a hard place. When my acid reflux was its worse I didn't realize it and

thought it was doing fine so I can't tell much of the time (Although

when I tried Prilosec recently I had more than enough of it to tell that

didn't work for me). So, the other choice would be finding a doctor to

switch me to Protonix but I have no means of monitoring whether its

working. Guess I don't really on the Nexium either.

So, for now, I just keep taking the Nexium, paying the price, although I

do have my first international order on the way to me, just hoping using

it is working, accepting its best not to change. I know we don't want to

discourage advancements in meds and so do agree with brand protection

for a period. The one thing that I dislike most is pharmaceuticals

charging more for an identical product in the US than in other

countries-much more in this case.

My friend who recently had a transplant didn't find out until then that

Nexium wasn't working for her, so she's been switched.

> > >

> > > frustrated!! ! medicare started August 1--got a decent

supplemental

> > plan--Blue Cross Select Advantage Gold. For a few $$$ more, it

covered

> > a lot of stuff. Notified that it is being discontinued as of jan

> > they will switch me to Select Advantage Silver. premium is less, but

> > copays and deductibles are more. Need to find a different plan, but

so

> > far, the ones that i looked at are not as good. will continue the

> > search...

> > >

> > > Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

> > >

> >

>

Bruce,

It's a quibble but to the best of my knowledge Ranbaxy actually has 180 days (6 months) of exclusive marketing of the generic when AZ's patent protection expires. Prior to my diagnosis I worked in the pharmaceutical industry helping independent pharmacies access the same manufacturer rebate programs to which the chain stores have access.

There are abuses industry wide, of that there is no question. I don't think however that it is necessarily worse than any other industry that depends on constant research and experimentation to stay in business.

Beth-Moderator

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

"Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Miss Frizzle

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Friday, November 7, 2008 3:23:25 PMSubject: Re: Generic alternatives

MBRanbaxy was bought off again with a deal that included rights to thegeneric a year prior to anyone else in the US. Several Indiamanufacturers to still manufacture generics, just not for sale in theUS.Astra Zeneca has a history filled with accusations against them. Theyplead guilty to healthcare crimes over Zoladex in the US in 2003 andpaid $355 million. They've been under investigation by Britain's SeriousFraud Office. The basis of Ranbaxy's case in their suit by AZ to makethe product generic in the US is a widely held belief that Astra Zenecaheld Nexium back just to use as the time got shorter on Prilosec. Thereare other technical claims. Many believe Ranbaxy had a winnable case butby the time it finally progressed would have gained much less than inthis deal.Canadian online pharmacies (all fully licensed and with Canada bricksand mortar) which have been approved by the

state of Minnesota also sellGeneric Esomeprazole although it is my understanding they are generallynot technically sold by the Canadian pharmacy (quite complicated so Istuck with brand).I hate doing business with Astra Zenica but am stuck between a rock anda hard place. When my acid reflux was its worse I didn't realize it andthought it was doing fine so I can't tell much of the time (Althoughwhen I tried Prilosec recently I had more than enough of it to tell thatdidn't work for me). So, the other choice would be finding a doctor toswitch me to Protonix but I have no means of monitoring whether itsworking. Guess I don't really on the Nexium either.So, for now, I just keep taking the Nexium, paying the price, although Ido have my first international order on the way to me, just hoping usingit is working, accepting its best not to change. I know we don't want todiscourage advancements in meds

and so do agree with brand protectionfor a period. The one thing that I dislike most is pharmaceuticalscharging more for an identical product in the US than in othercountries-much more in this case.My friend who recently had a transplant didn't find out until then thatNexium wasn't working for her, so she's been switched.> > >> > > frustrated!! ! medicare started August 1--got a decentsupplemental> > plan--Blue Cross Select Advantage Gold. For a few $$$ more, itcovered> > a lot of stuff. Notified that it is being discontinued as of jan2009.> > they will switch me to Select Advantage Silver. premium is less, but> > copays and deductibles are more. Need to find a different plan, butso> > far, the ones that i looked at are not as good. will continue the> > search...> > >> > > Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania> > >>

>>

MB

Well, Astra Zenica has been perhaps the most criticized, but I really

only have two issues with the industry. First, the amount of money spent

on buying doctors meals and sending former cheerleaders to carry samples

around to all the offices and try to talk them into buying over the

lunch spread they provide.

The second is, and they certainly aren't the only one, the US price vs.

other countries. The US does seem to be charged a disproportionate

portion of the research costs. I should not be able to purchase the

identical product from the same manufacturer cheaper elsewhere. Of

course, I recall living in New York City and being amazed at the

Japanese either visiting or working there for a while and going wild

buying electronics because they were so much cheaper than Japan.

But, I'm not planning on solving the problem, just have to figure out

the best way to work within it. I ultimately have the same choice as any

consumer on anything. Is Nexium worth $4,000 a year to me? At this point

I've decided yes. I guess I remember throwing up every day for months

too well.

> > > >

> > > > frustrated!! ! medicare started August 1--got a decent

> supplemental

> > > plan--Blue Cross Select Advantage Gold. For a few $$$ more, it

> covered

> > > a lot of stuff. Notified that it is being discontinued as of jan

> 2009.