RemedySpot.com

Bob

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Bob,

Good morning and welcome to Breathe-Support! It sounds as though you've been working to cope with lung issues for quite a while already. We had a member, Joyce Dalton, who struggled mightily with bronchiectasis for many years. I know she used the vest and other methods like chest percussion to loosen secretions and mucous to get them up and out. With a diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis and bronchiectasis you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting your insurance to pay for the vest. It's pretty standard therapy.

Getting enough exercise is something that many of us struggle with. What helped me tremendously was attending a pulmonary rehabiliation program. I learned how to exercise safely and how much supplemental O2 I need to be able to do so. If you're coughing continuously when you attempt to be more active it's possible that you are not getting enough oxygen. Are you on supplemental O2? Have they done a 6 minute walk with you? Please don't start exercising without discussing it with your physician. You want to be certain you are doing it safely and in a way that will help and not harm you.

As for some abbreviations, here are a few off the top of my head. But don't hesitate to ask for a specific one if there is something you don't understand in a future post.

IPF Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis

NSIP Non specific interstitial pneumonitis

UIP Usual interstitial pneumonia

PFT pulmonary function test

O2 oxygen

sats short for oxygen saturations

PH Pulmonary hypertension

As I said, if you see something in a post that you don't understand, don't hesitate for an instant to ask for clarification. We're all learning from each other all the time.

Again, welcome aboard and I hope you find the support and friendship here that I have!

Beth-Moderator

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

"Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Miss Frizzle

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:15:24 PMSubject: FW: Re: Mini-trip today

Hi Beth, Sorry I had to find your group but so glad I did. Lots of great people with lung problems. I¢ve had bronchiectasis for several years and in Sept was given the word for fibrosis of the lung Do you have a short list you could send for all the abbreviations I see. Some I could pick, others who knows? I know I need to exercise but how do I stopping coughing long enough to walk more than a few yards. The Dr. wants me to try the vest to help clear my lungs. Has anyone had any luck with their insurance on that one.

From: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:] On Behalf Of BethSent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:54 AMTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSubject: Re: Re: Mini-trip today

Bruce,

So happy you had a good time today. It helps so much to get out and about doesn't it? So who'd you have dinner with? Come on we won't tell! Anyone we know?

Beth-Moderator

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

"Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Miss Frizzle

From: Bruce Moreland <brucemoreland@ gmail.com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:50:22 PMSubject: Re: Mini-trip today

Back home from my mini-vacation. Delightful time, great food, bettercompany and conversation. I know Leanne says its not travel without aplane but I disagree.... .doesn't even have to be far. Just drive alittle distance to spend time with friends.Oh my.....just realized. Someone took a picture. I could be in trouble.No, I was behaving fine.I sure hope the Pennsylvania / NE or whatever group of you get together.You'll be amazed how nice it will be.>>> Going in a little bit to Arlington , TX . It's not far but it's still a> trip. Not sure what I'll do but meeting two friends for

dinnertonight.> After they leave will probably drive back home but could decide tostay> there or stop on the way. Just whatever the mood strikes me. Arlington> is sort of right in the middle of Dallas and Fort Worth . Now, I livein> Plano which is north of Dallas . These are all part of the DFWMetroplex.> Only about 40 miles which depending on time of day is 45 minutes to 2> hours. That makes it a good place for people to meet since in the> southern part of the metroplex, it's in the middle. In the northern> part, the airport and Grapevine are in the middle.>> Arlington doesn't have museums and galleries and such as those are> pretty much Dallas and Fort Worth . It's more recreational, such as Six> Flags and The Ballpark at Arlington (home of the Texas Rangers) andthe> stadium also that the Dallas Cowboys will move into next year, which>

will be the most expensive stadium ever, costing over $1 billion.Note:> the Cowboys weren't in Dallas before either, they are in Irving now.> People get sort of carried away around here with Arenas and Stadiumsas> American Airlines Center which houses the Dallas Mavericks and Dallas> Stars was the most expensive arena ever when it was built. Now, while> there is a lot of public money going into the Cowboys stadium and that> expenditure is certainly one that can be questioned, over 70% of the> money is coming from the Cowboys themselves.>> Well, it will be a nice mini-vacation.>

Hi ! ... wow, what a list. I saved this myself for reference. Thanks.

Hope you are good today.

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Re:Bob

Hi Bob,

Read your post and thought this would help you as much as it does me. Again--sorry you found us, but glad you are here. G. UIP/IPF 5/07 Az.

Many more acronyms and abbreviations pertaining to interstitial lung disease (pulmonary fibrosis) can be found at http://noairtogo.tripod.com/gloss.htm A1AD = Alpha1 Antitrypsin Deficiency Emphysema

ABG = Arterial Blood Gas

ARDS = Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome

ATRA = All Trans-Retinoic Acid

BAL = Bronchoalveolar Lavage

BiPAP = Bi-level Positive Airway Pressure

BMD = Bone Mineral Density

BOOP = Bronchiolitis Obliterans Organizing Pneumonia

BP = Blood Pressure

BX = Biopsy

CF = Cystic Fibrosis

CHF = Congestive Heart Failure

CLD = Chronic Lung Disease

CT = CAT scan or Computerized Axial Tomography

CO = Carbon Monoxide

Co2 = Carbon Dioxide

COAD = Chronic Obstructive Airway Disease

COLD = Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease

CPAP = Continuous Positive Airway Pressure

CPR = Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation

CRT = Certified Respiratory Therapist

CXR = Chest X-ray

DAD = Diffuse Alveolar Damage

DLCO = Diffusing Capacity of Carbon Monoxide

DNR = Do Not Resuscitate

DOE = Dyspnea on Exertion

DPAP = Demand Positive Airway Pressure

DX = Diagnosis

ECG or EKG = Electrocardiogram

ECHO = Echocardiogram

ENT = Ears, Nose, Throat

ERV = Expiratory Reserve Volume

ET = Endotracheal Tube

FEF = Forced Expiratory Flow

FEFMAX = Forced Expiratory Flow at Maximum Effort

FEV = Forced Expiratory Volume

FEV1 = Forced Expiratory Volume in One Second

FPF = Familial Pulmonary Fibrosis

FRC = Functional Residual Capacity

FVC = Forced Vital Capacity

GERD = Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease

GI = Gastrointestinal

GP = General Practitioner

HEENT = Head, Eyes, Ears, Nose, Throat

HEPA = High Efficiency Particulate Air

HR = Heart Rate

HRCT = High Resolution CT Scan

IC = Inspiratory Capacity

ICU = Intensive Care Unit

ILD = Interstitial Lung Disease

IPF = Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis

IRV = Inspiratory Reserve Volume

LOX = Liquid Oxygen

LPM = Liters per Minute Oxygen or o2 flow rate

LVRS = Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

MCS = Multiple Chemical Sensitivities

MDI = Metered Dose Inhaler

MRI = Magnetic Resonance Imaging

MVV = Maximal Voluntary Ventilation

NETT = National Emphysema Treatment Trial

NIV = Non Invasive Ventilator

NSIP = Non Specific Interstitial Pneumonitis

o2 = Oxygen

OA = Occupational Asthma

OAD = Obstructive Airway Disease

OLD = Occupational Lung Disease

OSA = Obstructive Sleep Apnea

OTC = Over the Counter

PAP = Positive Airway Pressure

PCP = Primary Care Physician

Pco2 = Partial Pressure of Carbon Dioxide in Blood

PDI = Powdered Dose Inhaler

PE = Physical Exam

PE = Pulmonary Edema

PE = Pulmonary Embolism

PEP = Positive Expiratory Pressure

PEEP = Positive End Expiratory Pressure

PEFR = Peak Expiratory Flow Rate

PF = Pulmonary Fibrosis

PFT = Pulmonary Function Test

PH = Pulmonary Hypertension Secondary

PI = Pulmonary Insufficiency

PLB = Pursed Lip Breathing

PND = Paroxysmal Nocturnal Dyspnea/Post Nasal Drip

Po2 = Oxygen Tension in Arterial Blood

PPH = Primary Pulmonary Hypertension

PPV = Positive Pressure Ventilation

PT = Physical Therapist/Pulmonary Therapy

PTX = Pneumothorax

PULM or PULMO = Pulmonary

QOL = Quality OF Life

R/O = Rule Out

RAD = Reactive Airway Disease

RDS = Respiratory Distress Syndrome

RLD = Restrictive Lung Disease

RLS = Restless Leg Syndrome

RRT = Registered Respiratory Therapist

RT = Respiratory Therapist/Respiratory Therapy

RV = Residual Volume

RX = Treatment/Therapy/Prescription

Sao2 = % Arterial Blood Saturation

SATS = Referring to o2 Saturation Level by Oximetry

SOB = Short Of Breath

Svo2 = % Venous Blood Oxygen Saturation

TLC = Total Lung Capacity

TTo2 = Transtracheal Oxygen

TV = Tidal Volume

TX = Transplant

UIP = Usual Interstitial Pneumonitis

URI = Upper Respiratory Infection

UTI = Urinary Tract Infection

VATS = Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery

VC = Vital Capacity

VQ = Ventilation Perfusion Scan

XP = Transplant

Bob, It was so good to meet you on chat last night. Stick with the board you will learn more from here that anywhere else. Doctors do not understand what we live. But trust me we all will be here to help you.You can go to the database and get my phone number or anyone there and just tell whomever you have questions about PF or need to talk.. We're here. Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."