RemedySpot.com

Bruce

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Bruce,

I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the Levaquin just to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.

Toodles

Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilrl

Jane

Normally when an antibiotic is prescribed the instructions are to take

the full prescription unless told otherwise. Unless he tells you

otherwise, I wouldn't stop. Also, if it doesn't get the job done get

right back to the doctor and get more or get something else. Often then

they will give you another round plus six days or so of prednisone. You

can't stop the fight until its knocked out or it will just take aim on

you again.

And next time get to doctor sooner and get Levaquin sooner. Please.

Pretty please.

>

>

> Bruce,

>

> I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the Levaquin

just

> to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.

>

> Toodles

>

> Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilrl

>

Hey Bruce!

I did take the Z -pack that the pulmo gave me a few weeks ago, Last Tuesday was the fifth day of the Z pack and I already had a re-check appt. with the PCP. He thought I was fine. No prescriptions. Then on Thursday night, sore throat started up. Friday morning I went to the local pulmo. I think I picked up something going into that PCP's waiting room. Who knows! I will do everything I can to avoid prednisone!

Toodles!

Jane UIPIPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgirl

> >> >> > Bruce,> >> > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the Levaquin> just> > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> >> > Toodles> >> > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilrl> >>

Jane,

The same thing hapened to me. I got a sore throat, swollen glands, etc and my pulmo put me on 7 days of levaquin. I felt fine onthe last day of antibiotics but the sore throat came back two days later. I am now finishing 10 days of augmentin. Feel fine again but wil wait a few days before I say for sure. I think our immune systems are so low it takes double the meds and double the time to fight off infections. Take care Jane- R. (52) Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 Carlsbad, California

Subject: Re: BruceTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 6:53 AM

Hey Bruce!

I did take the Z -pack that the pulmo gave me a few weeks ago, Last Tuesday was the fifth day of the Z pack and I already had a re-check appt. with the PCP. He thought I was fine. No prescriptions. Then on Thursday night, sore throat started up. Friday morning I went to the local pulmo. I think I picked up something going into that PCP's waiting room. Who knows! I will do everything I can to avoid prednisone!

Toodles!

Jane UIPIPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgirl

> >> >> > Bruce,> >> > I have been thinking that I would

take all ten days of the Levaquin> just> > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> >> > Toodles> >> > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilr l> >>

: I really pray that you will be better this day. I hate it

when one of us is sick or uncomfortable with this disease or any

disease for that matter. I will keep you in my prayers and hope your

weekend is better.

I LOVE YOU THIS DAY

MARY LOU - RICHMOND VA

IPF - 02

> > >

> > >

> > > Bruce,

> > >

> > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the

Levaquin

> > just

> > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.

> > >

> > > Toodles

> > >

> > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilr l

> > >

> >

>

Jane

Well, I was worried when you started the Z-Pack and worried until you

get well. Has the Z-Pack worked for you previously? Even with well

patients, with today's infections, I'm knowing many who its no longer

enough for. Then with those of us here, that seems more the case. You

might think through that and any other history. I know neither Cipro nor

Z-Packs will get me completely well so if I was away from my

pulmonologist, who would automatically prescribe Levaquin, I'd still

insist on it. I just want you well....

Oh I hate PCP's offices. I don't sit in the waiting room. EVER. I check

in and I go stand outside the waiting area by myself. The nurse comes

around there and gets me. I hate even riding the elevator in that

building.

> > >

> > >

> > > Bruce,

> > >

Levaquin

> > just

> > >

> > > Toodles

> > >

> > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilrl

> > >

> >

>

We are weaker. Has anyone else been prescribed only 7 days of Levaquin?

I thought the standard, normal, regime of Levaquin was 10 days as that

was all I'd heard of being prescribed. Just curious.

Augmentin does seem to be quite common for followup when Levaquin

doesn't complete the job.

> > >

> > >

> > > Bruce,

> > >

Levaquin

> > just

> > >

> > > Toodles

> > >

> > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilr l

> > >

> >

>

Thanks Lou! I am feeling much better after the two rounds of antibiotics. I have had to slow down my exercise routine though and I really miss it. I haven't been walking at the beach or to the gym for a week. I read about your " bed adventure" - you be sure to take care too! God bless you- R. (52) Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 Carlsbad, California

Subject: Re: BruceTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 8:28 AM

: I really pray that you will be better this day. I hate it when one of us is sick or uncomfortable with this disease or any disease for that matter. I will keep you in my prayers and hope your weekend is better.I LOVE YOU THIS DAYMARY LOU - RICHMOND VAIPF - 02> > >> > >> > > Bruce,> > >> > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the Levaquin> > just> > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> > >> > > Toodles> > >> > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilr l> > >> >>

Yes Bruce, I have just finished a 7 day course. three or four weeks before I had a z pac. I think this one has done the trick. Before I was given a 10 day. I think it depends on the infection we are fighting at the time. Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." 

Peggy

I just think with healthy people there are minor infections and major

ones. I don't think with us there is such a thing as a minor infection.

Even at the end we feel well, but two days later its baaaaaaaaaaack. I

may be overly fearful, but infection is a great fear to me and at the

least sign I want all the artillary I can get. I also know that over the

years I've had so many antibiotics and so much other medication that my

body quite probably has some resistance.

>

> Yes Bruce, I have just finished a 7 day course. three or four weeks

> before I had a z pac. I think this one has done the trick. Before I

> was given a 10 day. I think it depends on the infection we are

> fighting at the time.

>

>

> Love & Prayers, Peggy

> Florida, IPF/UIP 2004

>

> " I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet,

> when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly. "

>

>

> 

>

Peggy,

Yes, you are absolutely correct. It very much depends on the infection that we have. That's why it's so important to find a doctor that we like and have confidence in and then follow his/her instructions.

Zithromax or azythromycin (which is the antibiotic in the famous "z-pack") is a quite powerful antibiotic. It's been around since the 70's. In more recent years they reformulated in a way that made it possible to use the shortened course that's known as the Z-pack. It's very effective against most infections. We aren't 'most' people however and that's why you see so many of us going right onto Levaquin or Augmentin as the first action against an infection.

Beth-Moderator

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

"Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Miss Frizzle

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2008 12:31:32 PMSubject: Re: Re: BruceYes Bruce, I have just finished a 7 day course. three or four weeks before I had a z pac. I think this one has done the trick. Before I was given a 10 day. I think it depends on the infection we are fighting at the time.

Love & Prayers, Peggy

Florida, IPF/UIP 2004

"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet,

when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

Bruce, You hit the nail on the head.. Taking to many strong antibiotics is not a good thing. That is why we need to listen to our Docs and take the appropriate one for the time. A z pac has always done the trick for me. BUT when it doesn't complete the job Leviquin..  Again to much is harmful too don't forget. Our best protection is washing our hands, wash our hands. use clorox wipes in grocery stores. Just use our common sense when we're out and about. I have not been using my liquid hand cleaner like I used to. It is going back in my purse. Anyhow we just need to take very good watchful care of us.. Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." 

I felt well enough last Saturday, after one day of a Z-pack to go to a Bat Mitzvah. I had rested all day the day I started the Z-Pack. I was so happy the sore throat was gone. Now I have more of a head cold, stopped up nose, etc. But the sore throat came back this past Thursday. I immediately went to the local pulmo.

This gets tough for me, this time of the year, the changing of seasons. I get to feeling so well in one season and then another season comes along. I am going to take all of my levaquin---NO prednisone for me!

Take care!

Toodles!

Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgirl

> > >> > >> > > Bruce,> > >> > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the Levaquin> > just> > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> > >> > > Toodles> > >> > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilr l> > >> >>

Bruce,

The Z-Pack has worked for me in the past. But you never know what "bugs" are out there and what will help. We have to take orecaution and take the antibiotic just in case.

Toodles!

Jane UIP/IPF> > > >> > > >> > > > Bruce,> > > >> > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the> Levaquin> > > just> > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> > > >> > > > Toodles> > > >> > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilrl> > > >> > >> >>

In conclusion, antibiotics from weakest to strongest are: Z-Pack, Levaquin. Augmentin. ?????? I always hated Biaxin.

This may open a can of worms.

Toodles

> > > >> > > >> > > > Bruce,> > > >> > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the> Levaquin> > > just> > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> > > >> > > > Toodles> > > >> > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilr l> > > >> > >> >>

What is your opinion on when to continue one's exercise program after taking antibiotics?

Toodles!

Jane UIP/IPF> > > >> > > >> > > > Bruce,> > > >> > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the > Levaquin> > > just> > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> > > >> > > > Toodles> > > >> > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilr l> > > >> > >> >>

Jane

Well, they hit different things better sometimes too. Funny how Cipro was once considered strong and it still works for certain things but so many it doesn't. And works for some of us and not others. Long long ago it became like a placebo to me.

Here is just an example of how complex antibiotics and their prescribing can be. I'm using Cipro as an example and here is what it helps and doesn't help and note even this list is debatable. For instance this list shows it effective against MRSA and I don't believe thats the case anymore, although I may be wrong. I'm not putting this list as gospel, just as an example of how complicated it can be:

effective against:

Enterobacteriaceae Vibrio Haemophilus influenzae Haemophilus ducreyi Neisseria gonorrhoeae (widespread resistance to ciprofloxacin limits its usefulness in treating N. gonorrhea infections) Neisseria meningitidis Moraxella catarrhalis Brucella Campylobacter Mycobacterium intracellulare Legionella sp. Pseudomonas aeruginosa Bacillus anthracis Escherichia coli Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)[3]

Weak activity against:

Streptococcus pneumoniae Chlamydia trachomatis Chlamydia pneumoniae

No activity against:

Bacteroides Burkholderia cepacia Enterococcus faecium Ureaplasma urealyticum Streptococcus pyogenes

and others

> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > Bruce,> > > > >> > > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the> > Levaquin> > > > just> > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> > > > >> > > > > Toodles> > > > >> > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilr l> > > > >> > > >> > >> >>

I was questioning my docs because I can't always tell the difference between PF and a cold. They said to be most concerned when there is a fever and when the mucus is green and thick.Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Subject: Re: BruceTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 2:06 PM

I felt well enough last Saturday, after one day of a Z-pack to go to a Bat Mitzvah. I had rested all day the day I started the Z-Pack. I was so happy the sore throat was gone. Now I have more of a head cold, stopped up nose, etc. But the sore throat came back this past Thursday. I immediately went to the local pulmo.

This gets tough for me, this time of the year, the changing of seasons. I get to feeling so well in one season and then another season comes along. I am going to take all of my levaquin---NO prednisone for me!

Take care!

Toodles!

> > >> > >> > > Bruce,> > >> > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the Levaquin> > just> > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> > >> > > Toodles> > >> > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia

aka pianolady_musicgilr l> > >> >>

I wonder if they sell small packages of Clorox wipes to put in the handbag.Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Subject: Re: Re: BruceTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 2:04 PM

Bruce, You hit the nail on the head.. Taking to many strong antibiotics is not a good thing. That is why we need to listen to our Docs and take the appropriate one for the time. A z pac has always done the trick for me. BUT when

it doesn't complete the job Leviquin.. Again to much is harmful too don't forget.

Our best protection is washing our hands, wash our hands. use clorox wipes in grocery stores. Just use our

common sense when we're out and about. I have not been using my liquid hand cleaner like I used to. It is going back in my purse. Anyhow we just need to take very good watchful care of us..

Love & Prayers, Peggy

Florida, IPF/UIP 2004

Pink...put some in a baggy and ziiiiiiip!

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Re: Re: BruceTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 2:04 PM

Bruce, You hit the nail on the head.. Taking to many strong antibiotics is not a good thing. That is why we need to listen to our Docs and take the appropriate one for the time. A z pac has always done the trick for me. BUT when it doesn't complete the job Leviquin.. Again to much is harmful too don't forget.

Our best protection is washing our hands, wash our hands. use clorox wipes in grocery stores. Just use our

common sense when we're out and about. I have not been using my liquid hand cleaner like I used to. It is going back in my purse. Anyhow we just need to take very good watchful care of us..

Love & Prayers, Peggy

Florida, IPF/UIP 2004

good idea Sher, thanksPink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

From: Peggy <pac1773 (AT) cfl (DOT) rr.com>Subject: Re: Re: BruceTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 2:04 PM

Bruce, You hit the nail on the head.. Taking to many strong antibiotics is not a good thing. That is why we need to listen to our Docs and take the appropriate one for the time. A z pac has always done the trick for me. BUT when it doesn't complete the job Leviquin.. Again to much is harmful too don't forget.

Love & Prayers, Peggy

Florida, IPF/UIP 2004