RemedySpot.com

Antibiotics

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It's really less a matter of how strong an antibiotic is and more a matter of how it works and consequently what type of bacteria it is effective against. Some antibiotics disrupt the ability of the bacteria to reproduce, some disrupt the cell wall of the bacteria, effectively destroying it...there are many forms of action. Depending on what the action is it can be more or less difficult for bacteria to develop "resistance" to an antibiotic.

There are also "broad spectrum" antibiotics which are effective against a wide variety of infections. And then there are more 'narrow spectrum' antibiotics that zero in and are effective against certain specific bacteria and completely ineffective against others.

Cipro is a good example of a narrow spectrum antibiotic. It is extremely effective agains certain types of bacteria and is used often for lower respiratory tract infections like lower lobar pneumonia. It is the drug of first choice for inhalation anthrax. MRSA is a tough case because the bacteria changes and evolves so rapidly. It keeps developing new defenses to the actions of antibiotics. Cipro is still most often effective against mrsa but it is possible to have a strain of mrsa that it won't work against.

Beth-Moderator

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

"Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Miss Frizzle

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2008 2:32:00 PMSubject: Re: Bruce

Jane

Well, they hit different things better sometimes too. Funny how Cipro was once considered strong and it still works for certain things but so many it doesn't. And works for some of us and not others. Long long ago it became like a placebo to me.

Here is just an example of how complex antibiotics and their prescribing can be. I'm using Cipro as an example and here is what it helps and doesn't help and note even this list is debatable. For instance this list shows it effective against MRSA and I don't believe thats the case anymore, although I may be wrong. I'm not putting this list as gospel, just as an example of how complicated it can be:

effective against:

Enterobacteriaceae Vibrio Haemophilus influenzae Haemophilus ducreyi Neisseria gonorrhoeae (widespread resistance to ciprofloxacin limits its usefulness in treating N. gonorrhea infections) Neisseria meningitidis Moraxella catarrhalis Brucella Campylobacter Mycobacterium intracellulare Legionella sp. Pseudomonas aeruginosa Bacillus anthracis Escherichia coli Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)[3]

Weak activity against:

Streptococcus pneumoniae Chlamydia trachomatis Chlamydia pneumoniae

No activity against:

Bacteroides Burkholderia cepacia Enterococcus faecium Ureaplasma urealyticum Streptococcus pyogenes

and others

> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > Bruce,> > > > >> > > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the> > Levaquin> > > > just> > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> > > > >> > > > > Toodles> > > > >> > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilr l> > > > >> > > >> > >> >>

MB, Speaking of MRSA, has people in her cases that come from the prison system WITH MRSA. They bring her the RX and she has to arrange for them to get to a DR. UUUGGHHH. Well she just wrote a letter and is refusinganymore clients that are infected. I have deleted it or I would send it . She did a great job on it, of course she may get fired for it but she has drawn a line. She went through that with Kenny and that was enough.  Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." 

I know that Dale and 's deaths have made me much more paranoid when

I see someone on here sick and not getting immediately to a doctor and

getting help even though ultimately their situations may not relate to

quick medical care or not. We don't know their specific circumstances. I

just know that there is the natural toll our disease takes but want to

see everyone as good as they can be as long as they can be. There are

many aspects to that including avoiding germs, using adequate oxygen,

staying as active as possible and exercising, and quickly addressing any

medical issues that arise.

For many of us this is very different than what we're use to. I did

nothing to avoid germs. I slept and held a sick wife and even kissed

her. I sat in doctor's waiting rooms. I talked to sick people at work.

Obviously I didn't use oxygen before. I never exercised. I use the

treadmill more each month now than I did in the first 57 years of my

life. Treadmills were those things we always bought with good

intentions, let them take up space, and then sold them cheap to get them

out of the way. As to getting to doctors and taking care, I never missed

work, regardless of how sick I was. I worked with pneumonia, having an

employee drive me to and from. I went to the doctor only as a last

resort. My behaviors were just stupid before. Today, those same

behaviors could be deadly.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Bruce,

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the

> > > Levaquin

> > > > > just

> > > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Toodles

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilr

l

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Peggy,

I don't blame her. For what it's worth, I think she did exactly the right thing. It's dangerous and there is no reason that she needs to be put at risk. These guys deserve treatment but does not need to be involved in it at all, it's a medical issue.

Tell my pal TT that I send her a hug!

Beth-Moderator

Miss Frizzle

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:50:33 PMSubject: Re: AntibioticsMB, Speaking of MRSA, has people in her cases that come from the prison system WITH MRSA. They bring her the RX and she has to arrange for them to get to a DR. UUUGGHHH. Well she just wrote a letter and is refusing

anymore clients that are infected. I have deleted it or I would send it . She did a great job on it, of course she may get fired for it but she has drawn a line. She went through that with Kenny and that was enough.

Love & Prayers, Peggy

Florida, IPF/UIP 2004

"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet,

when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

Peggy

MRSA has run rampant through high school and junior high school locker

rooms here. Unfortunately, it wasn't recognized at first and a couple of

kids died. Subsequently, coaches, teachers, students, parents and

doctors have been more aware and responded.

>

> MB, Speaking of MRSA, has people in her cases that come from

> the prison system WITH MRSA. They bring her the RX and she has to

> arrange for them to get to a DR. UUUGGHHH. Well she just wrote a

> letter and is refusing

> anymore clients that are infected. I have deleted it or I would send

> it . She did a great job on it, of course she may get fired for it

> but she has drawn a line. She went through that with Kenny and that

> was enough.

>

>

> Love & Prayers, Peggy

> Florida, IPF/UIP 2004

>

> " I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet,

> when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly. "

>

>

> 

>

Well Bruce, we all learn the hard way, huh? You take care and don't

hesitate either, it is scarey when we lose someone we love on here,

you know?

mlp

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Bruce,

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of

the

> > > > Levaquin

> > > > > > just

> > > > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Toodles

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka

pianolady_musicgilr

> l

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

hey guys

this can of worms is difficult for me; i am allergic to alot of

antibiotics about 10 yrs ago a dermatologist told me he thought it

was more the preservative they use. well , dah,doesnt' help much.

generally, i can take a new antibiotic for 1 or two episodes and

then have serious reactions.. so we learn. that is one of the reason

they want to hold off as long as possible for the transplant.. hi

risk with complications.

so we tend to let me go without antibiotics until the temp is soo

bad and i cant take it much longer with symptoms.. after this last

bout in january they (docs)are learning to listen.. all i can say is

take it till it is finished any side effects as yeast infections or

vomiting can be controlled with other meds; diflucan and then

compazine.. so just keep in touch with your doc. my understanding if

not feeling better in 5 days or even with a temp after 3 call your

MD>> patti

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Bruce,

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days

of

> the

> > > > > Levaquin

> > > > > > > just

> > > > > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Toodles

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka

> pianolady_musicgilr

> > l

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

We too had an outbreak here in Fl. high schools. I think we lost three students. My son-in love really had a rough time with it. They had to bleach everything in the house for months. Thats some bad stuff.  Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." 

WOW! I'll have to keep reading to find out what happened. Sounds bad.Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Subject: Re: Re: AntibioticsTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 7:49 PM

We too had an outbreak here in Fl. high schools. I think we lost three students. My son-in love really had a rough time with it. They had to bleach everything in the house for months. Thats some bad stuff.

Love & Prayers, Peggy

Florida, IPF/UIP 2004

Bruce

I didn't know about your wife. Sorry to hear she was so sick before she died.Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Subject: Re: AntibioticsTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 3:56 PM

I know that Dale and 's deaths have made me much more paranoid whenI see someone on here sick and not getting immediately to a doctor andgetting help even though ultimately their situations may not relate toquick medical care or not. We don't know their specific circumstances. Ijust know that there is the natural toll our disease takes but want tosee everyone as good as they can be as long as they can be. There aremany aspects to that including avoiding germs, using adequate oxygen,staying as active as possible and exercising, and quickly addressing anymedical issues that arise.For many of us this is very different than what we're use to. I didnothing to avoid germs. I slept and held a sick wife and even kissedher. I sat in doctor's waiting rooms. I talked to sick people at work.Obviously I didn't use oxygen before. I never exercised. I use thetreadmill more each month now than I did in

the first 57 years of mylife. Treadmills were those things we always bought with goodintentions, let them take up space, and then sold them cheap to get themout of the way. As to getting to doctors and taking care, I never missedwork, regardless of how sick I was. I worked with pneumonia, having anemployee drive me to and from. I went to the doctor only as a lastresort. My behaviors were just stupid before. Today, those samebehaviors could be deadly.> > > >

> >> > > > > >> > > > > > Bruce,> > > > > >> > > > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the> > > Levaquin> > > > > just> > > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> > > > > >> > > > > > Toodles> > > > > >> > > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilrl> > > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > >> >>

Peggy

I didn't know that works in the prison system.Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Subject: Re: AntibioticsTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 3:50 PM

MB, Speaking of MRSA, has people in her cases that come from the prison system WITH MRSA. They bring her the RX and she has to arrange for them to get to a DR. UUUGGHHH. Well she just wrote a letter and is refusing

anymore clients that are infected. I have deleted it or I would send it . She did a great job on it, of course she may get fired for it but she has drawn a line. She went through that with Kenny and that was enough.

Love & Prayers, Peggy

Florida, IPF/UIP 2004

She works for Goodwill Ind. works  for the Fed Gov. transitioning prisoners back into society. I think it is a crazy job..  lol  she gets some LOU LOUS Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." 

Peggy

society needs people like , even if it is a crazy job Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Subject: Re: AntibioticsTo: Breathe-Support Date: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 5:48 PM

She works for Goodwill Ind. works for the Fed Gov. transitioning prisoners back into society. I think it is a crazy job.. lol she gets some LOU LOUS

Love & Prayers, Peggy

Florida, IPF/UIP 2004

Amy,

You bring up an excellent point about using some type of probiotic when we're on an antibiotic. An antibiotic will often kill off the 'good' bacteria in our digestive system making it vulnerable to something aggresive like c diff. And a c diff infection is something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

One other tip, don't take the probiotic and antibiotic at the same time. Give it some time, ideally a couple of hours, for the antibiotic to clear the stomach before taking the probiotic. This allows the probiotic to work effectively in the gut without interference from the antibiotic.

It sounds like you are an informed proactive patient. Of course you drive some doctors crazy, you keep them on their toes!! Don't back off, you're protecting yourself!

Beth-Moderator

Miss Frizzle

To: breathe <Breathe-support >Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:15:47 PMSubject: antibiotics

I have not been on for a few days or more and I read some of the anitbiotic topics. I have been on levaquin, cipro cef., avelox you name it. My best advice is to take a florastor everyday you are on an antibiotc especially the broad spectrum. It is a probiotic sold over the counter, it works mainly on the stomach. There is a disease called c diff and belive after having it I will NEVER take an antibiotic without it. Also I see an infectious disease dr I had pseudonomas arg. it the 10 day regimen just held it at bay and it would come back. I had to get 6 weeks of 2 different antibiotics via IV everyday I would go to the dr including sat and sun. I get copies of lab reports and they usually list the drugs that will work. It is a horror show fighting those diseases. I reseach everything, I drive the drs crazy. One time one dr neeless

to say I gave him the boot tried to give me one for the pseudonomas and I had read on line it does not work on it. ScarryAmy