RemedySpot.com

Re: Keeping germ free

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Oh, for me the worst pens they try to hand you are at doctor's

office...or one I encounter more....at pharmacy. I always use my own.

But just seems a pharmacy would have some concern about that.

On the other hand, I read an article this week saying that at young ages

we may be sanitizing too much now and not building immunity and

protection. But, that still wouldn't apply to us and, for me, avoiding

germs remains a goal. I don't go to extremes but there are certain

places that just are filled with them. I try to not go inside at the

Pharmacy. You know there will be quite a few very sick people waiting. I

also read astronomical numbers on how many times a day the average

person takes their fingers to their face or mouth. I think it was just

over 100.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Bruce,

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the

> > > > Levaquin

> > > > > > just

> > > > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Toodles

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka

pianolady_musicgilr

> l

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

I use hand sanitizer and wash my hands constantly. I have become just weird about touching menus and salt/pepper shakers in restaurants. I try to get whoever is with me to touch the door so I won't have to in all public places. A little lady in a health food store told me something kind of gross, but it made sense......here it is: never swallow anything you cough up. and everything in your nose should be untouchable also because that is such a trap for bacteria. I read the other day that gargling three times a day with just plain water can prevent colds up to 50%. When we got a report of our tap water, it said that children, elderly and those with compromised immune systems might be at risk with some of the bacteria in the water! I use only filtered now. Let people think what they want! I'm a certified germophobe!

Elisa

From: Bruce Moreland <brucemoreland@ gmail.com>Subject: Re: AntibioticsTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 12:56 PM

I know that Dale and 's deaths have made me much more paranoid whenI see someone on here sick and not getting immediately to a doctor andgetting help even though ultimately their situations may not relate toquick medical care or not. We don't know their specific circumstances. Ijust know that there is the natural toll our disease takes but want tosee everyone as good as they can be as long as they can be. There aremany aspects to that including avoiding germs, using adequate oxygen,staying as active as possible and exercising, and quickly addressing anymedical issues that arise.For many of us this is very different than what we're use to. I didnothing to avoid germs. I slept and held a sick wife and even kissedher. I sat in doctor's waiting rooms. I talked to sick people at work.Obviously I didn't use oxygen before. I never exercised. I use thetreadmill more each month now than I did in

the first 57 years of mylife. Treadmills were those things we always bought with goodintentions, let them take up space, and then sold them cheap to get themout of the way. As to getting to doctors and taking care, I never missedwork, regardless of how sick I was. I worked with pneumonia, having anemployee drive me to and from. I went to the doctor only as a lastresort. My behaviors were just stupid before. Today, those samebehaviors could be deadly.> > > >

> >> > > > > >> > > > > > Bruce,> > > > > >> > > > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the> > > Levaquin> > > > > just> > > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> > > > > >> > > > > > Toodles> > > > > >> > > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilrl> > > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > >> >>

Hi Elisa,

I haven't heard about the gargling and I am definately going to try it. I keep wanting to ask you if you are working or have worked in a portable. There seems to be so many teachers who have never smoked or been exposed to chemicals that have PF. I think mine was caused by working in a moldy unclean portable and keep wondering if that is the common denominator. Take care- R. (52) Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 Carlsbad, California

From: Bruce Moreland <brucemoreland@ gmail.com>Subject: Re: AntibioticsTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 12:56 PM

I know that Dale and 's deaths have made me much more paranoid whenI see someone on here sick and not getting immediately to a doctor andgetting help even though ultimately their situations may not relate toquick medical care or not. We don't know their specific circumstances. Ijust know that there is the natural toll our disease takes but want tosee everyone as good as they can be as long as they can be. There aremany aspects to that including avoiding germs, using adequate oxygen,staying as active as possible and exercising, and quickly addressing anymedical issues that arise.For many of us this is very different than what we're use to. I didnothing to avoid germs. I slept and held a sick wife and even kissedher. I sat in doctor's waiting rooms. I talked to sick people at work.Obviously I didn't use oxygen before. I never exercised. I use thetreadmill more each month now than I did in

the first 57 years of mylife. Treadmills were those things we always bought with goodintentions, let them take up space, and then sold them cheap to get themout of the way. As to getting to doctors and taking care, I never missedwork, regardless of how sick I was. I worked with pneumonia, having anemployee drive me to and from. I went to the doctor only as a lastresort. My behaviors were just stupid before. Today, those samebehaviors could be deadly.> > > >

> >> > > > > >> > > > > > Bruce,> > > > > >> > > > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the> > > Levaquin> > > > > just> > > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> > > > > >> > > > > > Toodles> > > > > >> > > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilrl> > > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > >> >>

You have a great point.

I was a full time teacher for 2 years--worked in a very old building, my classroom was in the basement.

Then from 1997 to 2006, i was a substitute teacher, working in lots of different buildings, old, not so old, and portables. Before that, I was a social worker, my longest SW job was 5 1/2 years in a very old building, and then a variety of old and not so old buildings.

Started out as a lab tech, was exposed to chemicals and wonder about some of those buildings. Started working prior to being aware of asbestos issues.

one of my houses--that i lived in for 17 years, built in the 60's--had a moldy wall in the bedroom; the next house was built in the 50's--wonder about that basement--had some small floods in it.Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Elisa

I do carry hand sanitizer, most of the time I forget to use it. But i am getting better about using it.

I still make the mistake of shaking hands with people. I know i shouldn't, but i do.Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

shower every day

in the summer i wash my hair every day

try not to use cloth towels when in someone else's house

if i have company, wash the hand towels when they leave

transplant patients have told me that they only use paper towels for wiping hands

be careful when eating out with foods that aren't cooked, like lettuce and tomato

start avoiding buffets and salad bars [i need to listen to myself on this one]

Jerry always washes new clothing before wearing itPink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Pink

I'll still shake hands and hug. I'm willing to risk it. However, I do

wash my hands very frequently and do carry wipes in my car.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Bruce,

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the

> > > > Levaquin

> > > > > > just

> > > > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Toodles

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka

pianolady_musicgilr

> l

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

I do shake hands and hug people continually, especially kids. I wouldn't be me without physical contact. I am just extra cautious these days, knowing it could alter my lifespan! My doctor told me last Thursday that she is leaving me on 5 mgs. of Prednisone through February for precaution. I guess the puffy face stays. It's a small price to pay. Picture coming soon of Bruce, Gwynne, and Elisa!

Subject: Re: Keeping germ freeTo: Breathe-Support Date: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 7:21 PM

PinkI'll still shake hands and hug. I'm willing to risk it. However, I dowash my hands very frequently and do carry wipes in my car.> > > > > > >> > > > > > >> > > > > > > Bruce,> > > > > > >> > > > > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the> > > > Levaquin> > > > > > just> > > > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> > > > > > >> > > > > > > Toodles> > > > > > >> > > > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia akapianolady_musicgilr> l> > > > > > >> >

> > > >> > > > >> > > >> > >> >>

I worked in a portable 22 years ago for two years. I was never sick. I do have a classroom now that I've been in for five years. There was some weird crusty stuff coming out of the cement blocks on one wall and a leaky ceiling. The room was painted this summer and the stuff seems to be sealed now. I don't use chalk, but these water based markers instead. Nothing very clear cut. I did work in a school 16 years ago that had some asbestos in it. No one else I know from there has been sick with this stuff. Doctors are 99% sure autoimmune disease caused PF. Now, what triggered the autoimmune???

Wish I could walk on your beach with you! Being near water is really something I miss from childhood.

Stay well!

Elisa

Elisa

I think we all find our balance of enjoying life vs. protection from

germs. I can't imagine meeting you and Gwynne and none of us having

colds and not hugging. On the other hand if I had had a cold or either

of you had, then we would have just had to postpone the meet.

You think of your face as puffy. I never saw it before and puffy

honestly never once crossed my mind. I think we all see changes in

ourselves at different times and are very conscious of it, much more so

that anyone else. We imagine how others will think of us with puffy

faces or our oxygen or our weight gain or our slower movement and often

thats not as all the way people see us. I remember my first time going

out anywhere with oxygen. I guess deep in my mind everyone was going to

see me as some anciently old man who had smoked himself (never smoked)

into near death and needing oxygen. People didn't react like that.

They've been incredibly nice and pleasant and today the oxygen is as

natural to me as my glasses. Sometimes we put too much value into how

others might see us. Sometimes we totally misjudge how they will see us.

Hey....touch the picture up with photoshop and take about ten years off

me.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Bruce,

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of

the

> > > > > Levaquin

> > > > > > > just

> > > > > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Toodles

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka

> pianolady_musicgilr

> > l

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

, I DID WORK IN WHAT WAS CONSIDERED

A TEMPORARY BUILDING!!!!

It has been in constant use for 15 years. I never even thought that

that might have been a part of my NSIP

I taught in there for two straight semesters right before I got sick.

They were supposed to have been cleared by the EPA

prior to being erected on the college grounds. I'm going to call

about them tomorrow!!!!

It never even occurred to be to question them about the portable when I

called about the other buikldings I had taught in over the years.

My illness came on rather suddenly..no problems prior to the Spring of

Boy...lots to think about.

Z fibriotic NSIP/05

Z 64,

fibriotic NSIP/o5/PA

And “mild”

PH/10/07 and Reynaud’s too!!

No, NSIP was not

self-inflicted…I never smoked!

Potter,

reader,carousel lover and MomMom to

Darah

and Sara

“I’m gonna

be iron like a lion in Zion” Bob Marley

Vinca

Minor-periwinkle is my flower

denise randel wrote:

Hi Elisa,

I haven't heard

about the gargling and I am definately going to try it. I keep wanting

to ask you if you are working or have worked in a portable. There

seems to be so many teachers who have never smoked or been exposed to

chemicals that have PF. I think mine was caused by working in a moldy

unclean portable and keep wondering if that is the common denominator.

Take care-

R. (52) Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 Carlsbad, California

<brucemoreland@ gmail.com>

Subject: Re: Antibiotics

To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com

Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 12:56 PM

I know that Dale and 's deaths have made me much more paranoid when

I see someone on here sick and not getting immediately to a doctor and

getting help even though ultimately their situations may not relate to

quick medical care or not. We don't know their specific circumstances. I

just know that there is the natural toll our disease takes but want to

see everyone as good as they can be as long as they can be. There are

many aspects to that including avoiding germs, using adequate oxygen,

staying as active as possible and exercising, and quickly addressing any

medical issues that arise.

For many of us this is very different than what we're use to. I did

nothing to avoid germs. I slept and held a sick wife and even kissed

her. I sat in doctor's waiting rooms. I talked to sick people at work.

Obviously I didn't use oxygen before. I never exercised. I use the

treadmill more each month now than I did in the first 57 years of my

life. Treadmills were those things we always bought with good

intentions, let them take up space, and then sold them cheap to get them

out of the way. As to getting to doctors and taking care, I never missed

work, regardless of how sick I was. I worked with pneumonia, having an

employee drive me to and from. I went to the doctor only as a last

resort. My behaviors were just stupid before. Today, those same

behaviors could be deadly.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Bruce,

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I have been thinking that I would take

all ten days of the

> > > Levaquin

> > > > > just

> > > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really

didn't say.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Toodles

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka

pianolady_musicgilr

l

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.4/1792 - Release Date: 11/16/2008 10:04 AM

My illness came on suddenly after just one semester in the portable and the teacher who worked for three years in the same portable before me also has PF. I think certain people must be susceptible, but I am convinced it has something to do with those rooms. By the way the school district I worked for destroyed the room right after I had my biopsy and prior to the workmans comp case I filed coming to trial. Interesting isnt it? R. (52) Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 Carlsbad, California

the first 57 years of mylife. Treadmills were those things we always bought with goodintentions, let them take up space, and then sold them cheap to get themout of the way. As to getting to doctors and taking care, I never missedwork, regardless of how sick I was. I worked with pneumonia, having anemployee drive me to and from. I went to the doctor only as a lastresort. My behaviors were just stupid before. Today, those samebehaviors could be deadly.> > > > > >> > > > > >> > > > > > Bruce,> > > > > >> > > > > > I have been thinking that I would take all ten days of the> > > Levaquin> > > > > just> > > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really didn't say.> > > > > >> > > > > > Toodles> > > > > >> > > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgilrl> > > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > >>

>>

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.4/1792 - Release Date: 11/16/2008 10:04 AM

, The building is still being

used...it was supposedly cleared by EPA...Who's to know?

Z fibriotic NSIP/05

Z 64,

fibriotic NSIP/o5/PA

And “mild”

PH/10/07 and Reynaud’s too!!

No, NSIP was not

self-inflicted…I never smoked!

Potter,

reader,carousel lover and MomMom to

Darah

and Sara

“I’m gonna

be iron like a lion in Zion” Bob Marley

Vinca

Minor-periwinkle is my flower

denise randel wrote:

My illness came on

suddenly after just one semester in the portable and the teacher who

worked for three years in the same portable before me also has PF. I

think certain people must be susceptible, but I am convinced it has

something to do with those rooms. By the way the school district I

worked for destroyed the room right after I had my biopsy and prior to

the workmans comp case I

filed coming to trial. Interesting isnt it?

R. (52) Sarcoid/PF 3/2006

Carlsbad

, California

<brucemoreland@ gmail.com>

Subject: Re: Antibiotics

To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com

Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 12:56 PM

I know that Dale and 's deaths have made me much more paranoid when

I see someone on here sick and not getting immediately to a doctor and

getting help even though ultimately their situations may not relate to

quick medical care or not. We don't know their specific circumstances. I

just know that there is the natural toll our disease takes but want to

see everyone as good as they can be as long as they can be. There are

many aspects to that including avoiding germs, using adequate oxygen,

staying as active as possible and exercising, and quickly addressing any

medical issues that arise.

For many of us this is very different than what we're use to. I did

nothing to avoid germs. I slept and held a sick wife and even kissed

her. I sat in doctor's waiting rooms. I talked to sick people at work.

Obviously I didn't use oxygen before. I never exercised. I use the

treadmill more each month now than I did in the first 57 years of my

life. Treadmills were those things we always bought with good

intentions, let them take up space, and then sold them cheap to get them

out of the way. As to getting to doctors and taking care, I never missed

work, regardless of how sick I was. I worked with pneumonia, having an

employee drive me to and from. I went to the doctor only as a last

resort. My behaviors were just stupid before. Today, those same

behaviors could be deadly.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Bruce,

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I have been thinking that I would take

all ten days of the

> > > Levaquin

> > > > > just

> > > > > > to make sure I am o,k, The doctor really

didn't say.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Toodles

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka

pianolady_musicgilr

l

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com

Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.4/1792 - Release Date: 11/16/2008 10:04 AM

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.4/1792 - Release Date: 11/16/2008 10:04 AM

I'm assuming you were a teacher. Yes? I don't know all of you by any

means, I've only been here about a month, But I would say that a large

portion of you were teachers. I to wonder how many of you were infected by

the old formaldehyde style of chemicals. I came from Caterpillar Tractor

such chemicals we killed our selves with...shame shame shame.them & us. Bob

ILD 08/08 PF 09/08 York,PA

Re: Keeping germ free

Hi ,

I have been " listening " to the conversation that you, Z, and Elisa

C. are having concerning the portable units that you had been working in. I

too have had the same experience with the portable unit and the possible IPF

connection. I worked in a portable unit a couple days a week for about 3

years, the last two of those years I began the coughing and SOB symptoms,

but never did find out that it was IPF until extensive DR visits and bogus

diagnosis. Only after I was medically forced to retire did I put 2 and 2

together and relate my IPF to the portable unit (construction worker type

portable) which was about 8x30 feet. It did have evidence of mildew, mold

and dampness which I took pictures of and have. I turned these over to an

Attorney and he is actively pursuing litagation at this time.

I think said that the EPA had cleared the portable that she

worked in? What did they clear it of? It would be interesting to find out

who the maker of the portable is and see what materials were used in the

construction at the time it was built, if it was 15+ years old there could

be some very questionable materials along with exposure to moisture, mildew

and mold in the walls that are not visible---but detectable. Who knows what

is in these portables that could have triggered the disease. I could go on

and on about this, but I would like to stay in touch with you guys on this

issue --

G. UIP/IPF AZ.