RemedySpot.com

another question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Folks, I called my insurance and the local (nearest) pulmonary rehab program is covered 100% by myinsurance, except for the $30/visit copay. I called them and they're setting up a referral with mypulmonologist.

What can I expect? It's outpatient visits... Any questions I can ask or other suggestions *greatly* appreciated...(note bene: as a recovering alcoholic, I can't wait to wear my " Rehab is for Quitters " shirt there...)

jon50, ILD 10/08-- Two wrongs don't make a right,but two 's make an airplane.

Jon

Every program is a little different but basically some warm ups, use of

very small weights for arms and legs, breathing exercise and aerobic

exercise like treadmills and bikes.

You'll learn how and what you should do. You'll do it with a group

you'll turn to know. You'll have the discipline.

Now, only one caution. Some rehabs are very knowledgeable about PF and

some aren't. Probably no one else will have PF. So while 90% of it will

apply the same there is that 10% that is very different for you than

from the COPD patients there.

>

> Folks,

>

> I called my insurance and the local (nearest) pulmonary rehab program

is

> covered 100% by my

> insurance, except for the $30/visit copay. I called them and they're

> setting up a referral with my

> pulmonologist.

>

> What can I expect? It's outpatient visits...

>

> Any questions I can ask or other suggestions *greatly* appreciated...

>

> (note bene: as a recovering alcoholic, I can't wait to wear my " Rehab

is for

> Quitters " shirt there...)

>

> jon

> 50, ILD 10/08

> --

> Two wrongs don't make a right,

> but two 's make an airplane.

>

Jon,

Rehab is a great step to take in terms of taking care of yourself! While programs can and do vary from place to place at the very least you will get the following:

An opportunity to learn how you can exercise safely. You'll be able to use treadmills and perhaps other machines (recumbant bicycles most commonly) while having your heart and oxygen saturations monitored. If you are not currently on supplemental O2, it's possible you may find you need it while exercising, or if you do use it you will learn how much you need to use in order to keep your sats at a safe level.

Most programs include some type of upper body strenthening with small weights. This is more important that it may seem. People like us with lung disease use many more muscles to move air in and out than ordinary folks. Strengthening these muscle groups can help to minimize shortness of breath while doing ordinary tasks like folding laundry or washing our hair.

Some programs include an educational component where you might have speakers on pulmonary meds, nutrition, practical aspects of living with lung disease etc.

The one caution I would give you is to make sure that you don't get lost in the shuffle in rehab. You'll find that most of the participants will have emphysema, COPD etc but you may be the only one in your class with pf. Be certain that you are given information that applies to you and your illness and that it's not just generic information for those with obstructive lung disease. Ask questions!

As I said, programs vary but even the most basic can have tremendous value for us. And definitely wear that t-shirt, it's sure to cause comment. LOL

Beth in North Carolina

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

"Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Miss Frizzle

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 2:37:42 PMSubject: another question

Folks, I called my insurance and the local (nearest) pulmonary rehab program is covered 100% by myinsurance, except for the $30/visit copay. I called them and they're setting up a referral with mypulmonologist. What can I expect? It's outpatient visits... Any questions I can ask or other suggestions *greatly* appreciated. ..(note bene: as a recovering alcoholic, I can't wait to wear my "Rehab is for Quitters" shirt there...)jon50, ILD 10/08-- Two wrongs don't make a right,but two 's make an airplane.