RemedySpot.com

SSDI

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Jack,

That's kind of sad funny huh? Fortunately it didn't work that way for me as I was approved within a few months the first time I applied. I actually filed my application online and only went to my social security office to drop off my supporting documentation. All my interviews took place by phone. They did request that I see one of their doctors. That was a joke. He was rude and dismissive and his office was filthy. However, about 4 weeks after I saw him my SSDI was approved. And like some others I had money in my checking account before I got any documentation from Social Security.

The single most important thing I can tell anyone about applying for Social Security is to make absolutely certain that your doctor supports your application. They rely heavily on your doctors opinion and the information he submits. If he's not 100% behind you it can have a devastating effect on your application.

What Bruce pointed out is also important. I had copies of all my medical records and test results along with a letter from my pulmonologist. I buried them in documentation. I truly believe this made the process go faster since they didn't have to chase around after all this information, they had it from the get go. My doctor still had to fill out forms and answer questions but they didn't have to send in all my records as I had already done so. It also helps to establish a good relationship with your doctors office staff if possible. My pulmo at the time was in a very small office with a tiny staff. I cultivated that relationship and I'm sure it helped. Even though I live 500 miles away from them now, they still keep in touch with me and I consider them friends.

Beth in North Carolina

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

"Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Miss Frizzle

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 11:16:34 AMSubject: Re: Re: Tank Filler

I know a woman who handles disability applications here in Bangor. She said the process is simple:

You file an application with her. She will disapprove it. Then you hire a lawyer and resubmit. Then she will approve it.

Maybe she was laughing behind my back. Jack79/IPF - UIP/dx06/05 Maine

From: Beth <mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Saturday, November 22, 2008 10:54:17 PMSubject: Re: Re: Tank Filler

Well it sometimes depends on where you live. In spite of the fact that Social Security is federal, it is more or less difficult to get depending on what state you live in.

It should be pretty cut and dried for those of us with this type of lung disease but I know that many have faced difficulty. You will lose nothing by applying. Gather your medical records, discuss it with your doctor and make sure they will back you up and apply. If you can't work due to your illness, you are disabled. I was approved fairly quickly. I applied in September of 06 and was notified of the approval in February of 07. They decided my first month of eligibility was November of 06 which means I was eligible for Medicare this month.

Beth in North Carolina

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

"Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Miss Frizzle

From: toadwizard <toadwizard (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Saturday, November 22, 2008 10:13:37 PMSubject: Re: Tank Filler

Yes , I had to quit the last job I had because I just couldn't do itanymore . My doctor brought up disability when I first went to her butshe was kind of discouraging and said it was tough to get. I checkedtheir website and it didn't sound like I would qualify . W.> > > > > > From: toadwizard <toadwizard@ ...>> > > Subject: Tank Filler> > > To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> > > Date: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 6:52 PM> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Does anyone have one of these or know anything about them ? > > > DEVILBISS I-FILL OXYGEN TANK REFILL SYSTEM> > >> >>

MB

I was unique in that I used an attorney on my initial application as my

private disability carrier provided that support to reduce their

liability. Also, I was not in condition at that time to do my own.

I was sent to two doctors by them. Both of mine were shockingly good as

I was scared to death and expecting something like what Beth

encountered. In fact, both of mine seemed to think I was even worse than

my own doctors did. One was concerned about issues that I hadn't made a

lot out of and recommended I get a second opinion on them at UTSW. Guess

it was luck of the draw. I do recommend filing the form that will get a

copy of their doctor's report sent to you. At least then you are aware

of anything which might be inaccurate or you might disagree with. You

could even have your doctor respond to any misstatement.

> > > >

> > > > From: toadwizard <toadwizard@ ...>

> > > > Subject: Tank Filler

> > > > To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com

> > > > Date: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 6:52 PM

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Does anyone have one of these or know anything about them ?

> > > > DEVILBISS I-FILL OXYGEN TANK REFILL SYSTEM

> > > >

> > >

> >

>