RemedySpot.com

Pulmonary Rehab Classes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi all,Well I took Bruce's advice and got a referral to Pulmonary Rehab classes. I asked the facilitator how many PF patients they had and she said they were all COPD patients.I was wondering if you who have gone to Pulmonary Rehab had classes specific to PF or if they were also primarily for COPD.I've committed to going (they have a new class starting in Jan), but I'm questioning if the same principles actually apply to exercising with PF and COPD. Happy Thanksgiving to everybody! Blessings<>< H.Citrus Heights, CaLIP -2006SJS/NHL

Same only different. You might ask if they understand PF and have had PF

patients. The principles all the same. Biggest things I found and have

found are that PF'ers vary much more in oxygen need from sitting to

exercise and that COPD'ers have to be careful about over oxygenation.

PF'ers have less concern there.

But working on muscles and breathing and endurance are the same. Now, a

good bit of the educational phase won't apply. You also have to be

prepared that there that others may be complaining about their horrible

disease and insensitive to knowing there is perhaps a worse one.

Until I met Gwynne from this group I'd never met or known anyone with

PF, including in rehab. Still, the only ones I know or have met are from

online groups.

>

> Hi all,

> Well I took Bruce's advice and got a referral to Pulmonary Rehab

classes.

> I asked the facilitator how many PF patients they had and she said

they were all COPD patients.

> I was wondering if you who have gone to Pulmonary Rehab had classes

specific to PF or if they were also primarily for COPD.

> I've committed to going (they have a new class starting in Jan), but

I'm questioning if the same principles actually apply to exercising with

PF and COPD.

>

> Happy Thanksgiving to everybody!

> Blessings<><

>

> H.

> Citrus Heights, Ca

> LIP -2006

> SJS/NHL

>

Speaking for myself, I was one of two pf patients in my rehab class. But the other pf person had a dual diagnosis of pf and copd. I don't even know if a pulmonary fibrosis specific rehab program exists anywhere. It doesn't matter, go to rehab anyway.

You will learn about living with lung disease and how to exercise safely. Ask questions, ask specifically if the information they are giving you applies to pulmonary fibrosis. Some programs will be better than others but there is always something to be gained!

Beth in North Carolina

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

"Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Miss Frizzle

To: Breathe Support <Breathe-Support >Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:00:48 PMSubject: Pulmonary Rehab Classes

Hi all,Well I took Bruce's advice and got a referral to Pulmonary Rehab classes. I asked the facilitator how many PF patients they had and she said they were all COPD patients.I was wondering if you who have gone to Pulmonary Rehab had classes specific to PF or if they were also primarily for COPD.I've committed to going (they have a new class starting in Jan), but I'm questioning if the same principles actually apply to exercising with PF and COPD. Happy Thanksgiving to everybody! Blessings<>< H.Citrus Heights, CaLIP -2006SJS/NHL

Thank you Bruce, I will ask about experience and understanding about PF.Am I to understand that you don't have PF?

>>>

Until I met Gwynne from this group I'd never met or known anyone with

PF, including in rehab. Still, the only ones I know or have met are from

online groups.<<<

--

... when I was in rehab the majority were COPD. It doesn't really matter...your rehab is Rx by your Dr and a tech will take you through and keep tabs on YOU no matter what the rest are doing.

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Pulmonary Rehab Classes

No, you are not to assume that....lol

I do have PF, specifically UIP.

>

> Thank you Bruce, I will ask about experience and understanding about

PF.

> Am I to understand that you don't have PF?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> >>>

>

> Until I met Gwynne from this group I'd never met or known anyone with

>

> PF, including in rehab. Still, the only ones I know or have met are

from

>

> online groups.<<<

>

>

>

> --

>

i was the only PFer in pulmonary rehab

the RT's would include the PF issues in the discussions or meet with me separately

most of the exercise is the same, they would individualize for each person

the COPDers were at various stages, so they needed individualized instruction too

the RT's invited someone with PF from a previous class back to meet with me

so I did get to meet someone with PF and PH and he had much difficulty speaking

the second time he came was a Friday on Memorial Day weekend

he just got listed, 19 hours later, he got the "call" and had a double lung transplant

I did see him a couple of times after that, and he is doing wellPink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Subject: Pulmonary Rehab ClassesTo: "Breathe Support" <Breathe-Support >Date: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 7:00 PM