tonight. I

> > have received my brand new $65 oximeter that was suggested by the

> > group, and now I'm a little worried about what I'm seeing. The

numbers

> > have been in the low 90s when I'm doing nothing, and when I play

with

> > my dogs a little, or go upstairs, they get into the 80s (84 -

87 -

> > 88). I am not currently on oxygen - didn't think I needed to be.

What

> > say you? I am not anxious to be saddled with all that goes with

> > oxygen, but on the other hand, I don't want to be stupid about it

> > either.

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Barbara McD

> IPF, Sept 08

> Beautiful Western NC

>

>

>

> Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we

will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9

>

Patti, and Bruce, and Sher, and Lou, and Beth and Jon and , and Joyce and all those who have responded: It helps so much to know that the way I feel physically is the way people who have PF feel. My expectation was (is?) that I would have to be LOOKING ill, and struggling to breathe, and unable to move much at all before I would actually qualify to think of myself as "sick". I'm starting to "get" the fact that my inability to comfortably sustain movement is not what ever other 62 year old feels. I'm beginning to realize that I have adapted to this illness by curtailing any activity that would cause me to feel my heart racing and breathing a struggle. I appreciate your patience and your kindness and your humor, as well as all the good information I get on this forum. May God bless you all, as He has blessed me with you. B"friend.patti" wrote: Barbarado so understand where you are and what you are saying. Been there and really still there and slowly coming through to the reality..It is no easy trip and one i know i didn't plan on, not like this anyway.. You sit sometimes and think you can conqueror the world that it was just a moment of weakness. Then you get up to run and find out it is you not the person sitting next to you or the person down the street. The problem is you can not let this

stop you from doing the right thing, taking care of you the best you can. This is a lesson i am learning and very slowly but i am finally learning. I have done more damage to myself by trying to pretend to everyone including myself the past 2 years, that nothing is wrong.. My doc also has been frustrated that "i don't get it", never know which sick he talks about lol.. me or the disease.. The 'air family' has been teaching me how more important it is to keep going strong but with the right equipment. Using the oxygen,keeping track of your sats, taking time to take care of yourself and going to the docs at first sign of GREEN. They have so much to offer here with the sense of humor, the poetry, the plays, the stories, the travels,pictures, their love and concern and prayers. You are in my prayers as you travel through this journey. The angels with you to guide and protect. patti, ipf 7/06, nj > >> > Greetings air friends - hope everyone is relatively well tonight. I> > have received my brand new $65 oximeter that was suggested by the> > group, and now I'm a little

worried about what I'm seeing. The numbers> > have been in the low 90s when I'm doing nothing, and when I play with> > my dogs a little, or go upstairs, they get into the 80s (84 - 87 -> > 88). I am not currently on oxygen - didn't think I needed to be. What> > say you? I am not anxious to be saddled with all that goes with> > oxygen, but on the other hand, I don't want to be stupid about it> > either.> >> > > > > > > Barbara McD> IPF, Sept 08> Beautiful Western NC> > > > Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9>Barbara McDIPF, Sept 08Beautiful Western NC Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9

Joyce and all,I've been wanting to ask someone about dental work and how they fare when they have it done.I need desperately to go to the dentist. I've been putting it off, because unless I'm very relaxed, I'm breathing hard. I also have a deadly dry mouth and difficulty swallowing because of it.I need 3 teeth pulled and a lower denture (years of Sjogren's )I'm afraid I'm going to inhale blood or water from the spray and oh man I've done that before and I didn't think I'd make it >.<Looks so wimpy looking at it here lol, but nothing's simple anymore Blessing, <><LIP-> 2006NHL->1999SJS->1994Date: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 2:00 PM

i compare it to my toothache-- around the time of the listing recommendation, i had a toothache, the dentist suggested root canal, and i immediately went for it-- no more toothache, what a relief!!!

........coincidentally you asked the right question at the right time. I live in Bush Alaska and I'm flying to Anchorage tomorrow am for a week of med appts. Also going to finish dental work that I started in Jun 04. Back then I had a mouth full of 25 year old crowns. I had the uppers all pulled and got a denture. That was the start of an Odyssey that has yet to end. I'm making this longer than necessary............long story short..........via a chest xray at the time it was discovered that I had lung cancer....had chemo and radiation.....made it go away. Radiation fried my lungs now I'm a IPFer. Lifetime membership.....sorry, bad joke. ANYWAY, my history with dentistry goes back to age 6. When I needed the work in 04 I looked in the Anchorage phone book for a dentist that used sedation. Bingo.......lucked out, got a great guy. He uses my 2 best

friends, versed and fentanyl. The result is that he does some horrendous work in my mouth and I "don't have to be there for it"!!! He does an IV......I wake up and it's over. There is a physiological benefit to "not" being awake and nervous (read scared). in that the body does not produce all the "fear" reaction that results in more swelling, pain, etc. I've had these drugs quite a few times.......bronchoscopies, carpal tunnel surgery, colonoscopies. I wouldn't go without them. I see no reason whatsoever to have to worry about anything of this nature if we don't have to..........Anyway, tomorrow I'll have impressions made and Thur have the bottom teeth done. I've waited this long because, well, I have been otherwise occupied, AND I wasn't too keen to spend $8000.00 what with my future so uncertain. But now I have to. So.....I spoke to the dentist, told him that I'm on oxygen and "is that a problem with the sedation drugs"? He assured me

that it is not a problem. Both drugs can be counter-acted in 30 seconds. Now......I probably shouldn't mention this but there are statistics, I don't know what they are because I stopped caring about it years ago, as to how many people die in the dental chair every year. It is more than one might think. The truth is that, for me, there are worse ways to die...... The first time I went to this guy he addressed this in great detail. For me the alternative is being awake and that is not acceptable. So, there you have it......way more than you ever wanted to know about my dental adventures. It is amazing to me to think that not only do I not fear this whole ordeal but I really look forward to seeing the dentist and his staff. We formed a real bond because of the cancer thing, he's the one that ordered the chest xray.....I wake up with the dentures in my mouth, on top of sutures, and virtually no pain. Really !!! Last time he gave

me pain meds.....and I never had to use a single one. They come in real handy when the PF acts up and I need a good nights sleep.

Good luck,

jim IPF 05

alaska

Subject: Re: Re: Uh ohTo: Breathe-Support Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 5:53 PM

Joyce and all,I've been wanting to ask someone about dental work and how they fare when they have it done.I need desperately to go to the dentist. I've been putting it off, because unless I'm very relaxed, I'm breathing hard. I also have a deadly dry mouth and difficulty swallowing because of it.I need 3 teeth pulled and a lower denture (years of Sjogren's )I'm afraid I'm going to inhale blood or water from the spray and oh man I've done that before and I didn't think I'd make it >.<Looks so wimpy looking at it here lol, but nothing's simple anymore Blessing, <><LIP-> 2006NHL->1999SJS->1994

: Hi, when I go to the Dentist, I always take 4 amoxicillan

requested by the dentist because I have a left hip replacement and

they don't want any chance of infection. Have had the hip done now

almost 10 years ago, so it works and keeps the bugs away. Your

pulmodude should also talk to you about your antibiotic too. I

didn't have one then.

MARY LOU

IPF - 02

> Date: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 2:00 PM

>

> i compare it to my toothache-- around the time of the listing

recommendation, i had a toothache, the dentist suggested root canal,

and i immediately went for it-- no more toothache, what a relief!!!

>

>

my dentist will use gas on me (nitrous oxide???)

i'm awake, but very relaxed

the endodontist who did the root canal does not use gas, because he has had reactions to it??? didn't go into detail with me

he numbed my mouth real well and played music from the 50s and 60s to keep my mind busy

when the dentist uses gas, it is mixed with oxygen so it is ok

tomorrow i go for a cleaning and the first work up for the cap

reading about amoxicillan because of the hip replacement, i wonder if antibiotics are necessary when going to the dentist after a transplant

Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Date: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 2:00 PM

i compare it to my toothache-- around the time of the listing recommendation, i had a toothache, the dentist suggested root canal, and i immediately went for it-- no more toothache, what a relief!!!

& Jim ... I had my dental work done about 40years ago. (Well shucks, you already know I'm 70). Much different then. I'm glad it was as easy as you describe Jim. That should be encouraging for you, , to ask the right questions of your dentist.

You're right, nothing's simple anymore. I'm so glad I don't face THAT however. I always hated going to the dentist and then finally had no choice.

None of here are wimps , our "coper" is just wearing thin.

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Re: Re: Uh ohTo: Breathe-Support Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 5:53 PM

Joyce and all,I've been wanting to ask someone about dental work and how they fare when they have it done.I need desperately to go to the dentist. I've been putting it off, because unless I'm very relaxed, I'm breathing hard. I also have a deadly dry mouth and difficulty swallowing because of it.I need 3 teeth pulled and a lower denture (years of Sjogren's )I'm afraid I'm going to inhale blood or water from the spray and oh man I've done that before and I didn't think I'd make it >.<Looks so wimpy looking at it here lol, but nothing's simple anymore Blessing, <><LIP-> 2006NHL->1999SJS->1994

Barbara ... take a minute and look through some of the photo albums... only those with a cannula can be spotted as the "sick" one.

I think that is one reason people stare...when I'm in the store w/o2 I get looked at w/curiosity. I do not look my age and I do not look "sick".

I just throw 'em a big smile and go on. With my welcome o2!

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Re: Re: Uh oh

Patti, and Bruce, and Sher, and Lou, and Beth and Jon and , and Joyce and all those who have responded:

It helps so much to know that the way I feel physically is the way people who have PF feel. My expectation was (is?) that I would have to be LOOKING ill, and struggling to breathe, and unable to move much at all before I would actually qualify to think of myself as "sick". I'm starting to "get" the fact that my inability to comfortably sustain movement is not what ever other 62 year old feels. I'm beginning to realize that I have adapted to this illness by curtailing any activity that would cause me to feel my heart racing and breathing a struggle.

I appreciate your patience and your kindness and your humor, as well as all the good information I get on this forum. May God bless you all, as He has blessed me with you.

B"friend.patti" <friend.patti (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote:

Barbarado so understand where you are and what you are saying. Been there and really still there and slowly coming through to the reality..It is no easy trip and one i know i didn't plan on, not like this anyway.. You sit sometimes and think you can conqueror the world that it was just a moment of weakness. Then you get up to run and find out it is you not the person sitting next to you or the person down the street. The problem is you can not let this stop you from doing the right thing, taking care of you the best you can. This is a lesson i am learning and very slowly but i am finally learning. I have done more damage to myself by trying to pretend to everyone including myself the past 2 years, that nothing is wrong.. My doc also has been frustrated that "i don't get it", never know which sick he talks about lol.. me or the disease.. The 'air family' has been teaching me how more important it is to keep going strong but with the right equipment. Using the oxygen,keeping track of your sats, taking time to take care of yourself and going to the docs at first sign of GREEN. They have so much to offer here with the sense of humor, the poetry, the plays, the stories, the travels,pictures, their love and concern and prayers. You are in my prayers as you travel through this journey. The angels with you to guide and protect. patti, ipf 7/06, nj > >> > Greetings air friends - hope everyone is relatively well tonight. I> > have received my brand new $65 oximeter that was suggested by the> > group, and now I'm a little worried about what I'm seeing. The numbers> > have been in the low 90s when I'm doing nothing, and when I play with> > my dogs a little, or go upstairs, they get into the 80s (84 - 87 -> > 88). I am not currently on oxygen - didn't think I needed to be. What> > say you? I am not anxious to be saddled with all that goes with> > oxygen, but on the other hand, I don't want to be stupid about it> > either.> >> > > > > > > Barbara McD> IPF, Sept 08> Beautiful Western NC> > > > Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9>

Barbara McD

IPF, Sept 08

Beautiful Western NC

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9

Thanks everyone. It's good to hear that the dentist is survivable lol. I know that feeling well of "what's the point?" I've been putting this off for over a year for just that reason. Kind of a roller coaster of hopeful highs and despair lows. So I'm going to go for it and though I don't like the idea of being put under, something to relax me might be helpful.And yes our copers do get a workout don't they? H.<><Citrus Heights, CaliforniaLIP-> 2006NHL->1999SJS->1994 Think about Jesus coming to earth as a baby. Imagine the power resting in that little manger--the omnipotent God was lying in a trough made from trees He had created, under stars He Himself had strewn across the sky! " Stanley" & Jim ... I had my dental work done about 40years ago. (Well shucks, you already know I'm 70). Much different then. I'm glad it was as easy as you describe Jim. That should be encouraging for you, , to ask the right questions of your dentist.

You're right, nothing's simple anymore. I'm so glad I don't face THAT however. I always hated going to the dentist and then finally had no choice.

None of here are wimps , our "coper" is just wearing thin.

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there

-

<><LIP-> 2006NHL->1999SJS->1994