RemedySpot.com

Hollis/Gluten Free

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Hollis, I noticed you said you make your own GF muffins that actually taste good?? I've recently been diagnosed with gluten sensitivity, so I'm wondering if you'd be willing to share some of your recipes??? You can e-mail me off group! Thanks in advance. Dena

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

• 2 weeks later...

Dena,So sorry it's taken me this long to get back to you.Here's the muffin recipe.  It's from a wonderful now out-of-print earlier editionof Majorie Hurt , R.N.'s The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook (1984).  I tried to get myown copy, since the one i have is borrowed, but found that the newest in-print edition(2001) to be not half as good -- a lot of the recipes i love have been dropped or reworkedin ways i don't like.  So, my copy is on permanent borrow. . .lol.This recipe is the basic one upon which other variations are based (banana-nut, cranberry-nut,dried-fruit, spicy pumpkin, gingerbread, fresh blueberry, pineapple-pecan, pumpkin, andrhubarb oat-and-rice).  If you'd like the recipes for one or two of the variations, tell me.(I don't think i can handle typing out more than that!)Apple-Walnut MuffinsMakes 12.1 3/4 cups sifted amaranth flour1/4 c. sifted arrowroot2 tsp. baking soda1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon1/2 tsp. vitamin C crystals1 c. chopped apples1/2 c. chopped walnuts1/4 c. ground walnuts3/4 c. unsweetened apple juice, cider,    or applesauce1/4 c. walnut oil1/4 c. honey1 egg (optional)1 tsp. pure vanilla extractSift the flour, arrowroot, baking soda, cinnamon and vitamin C crystals into a large bowl.Stir in the applies, chopped walnuts and ground walnuts.Whisk the apple juice, cider or applesauce with the oil, honey, egg and vanilla in a smallbowl.  Pour into the flour bowl.  Mix with a few swift strokes.  Do not overmix.Divide among 12 muffin cups.  Bake at 375 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes or until centerof muffin feels firm.NOTE:  You can replace the vitamin C crystals with 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar;reduce apple juice, cider or applesauce by 2 tablespoons.Now, MY notes:This recipe is quite forgiving and i've come up with my own version that works quite well.I always use coconut oil, melted, as the oil.I sometimes use brown rice flour in place of the amaranth (never used, actually).Only problem with this is that rice flour makes baked goods awfully crumbly/sandy.Lately, i've sometimes used ground nuts as the SOLE flour and the muffins have beendelicious.I've never used the vit. C crystals.  Vinegar has worked fine for me.It's fun to add things:  in addition to cinnamon, i've been putting in coriander lately;sometimes dried cranberries/currants. . .I find that i always need to add more water than is called for.If you try them, tell me how they turn out.  If you google muffin recipes you'll find a slew,but i've stuck with this recipe and the variations i like -- the pumpkin and the blueberry,primarily -- since they're easy and turn out well.Enjoy!Hollis Hi Hollis, I noticed you said you make your own GF muffins that actually taste good?? I've recently been diagnosed with gluten sensitivity, so I'm wondering if you'd be willing to share some of your recipes??? You can e-mail me off group! Thanks in advance. Dena ___________________________________Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.