RemedySpot.com

Letter from one of 's patients....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Again, speaking of Prendergast (PT). Website: http://www.pelvicpainrehab.com Chelle wrote: This is a letter from one of 's patients (the one who went with them to Chicago). Only her doctor and know that she has suffered from Vulvar pain, and she was willing to go on national t.v. and share her story. They never allowed her to say anything on the show, but I so admire her courage. I feel like many us can relate to what she says...she is not online (on any of the groups). Hugs, Chelle I understand that you are doing a show on Vulvodynia. I am a patient of Prendergast at the Pelvic Health and

Rehabilitation Center in San Francisco, CA. It is important to me that women who suffer from this condition know that successful treatment can be achieved with physical therapy rather than choosing surgery. The article in the New York Times Jan 31st 2008 by Jane Brody had no mention of physical therapy. I do hope that the producers of the Oprah show present all options available and that includes physical therapy. I am willing to share my personal experience with you because I believe that physical therapy ought to be the treatment of choice to begin with when it comes to pelvic pain. Physical therapy is not invasive, requires no drugs, has no side effects and is absolutely effective. My pelvic pain began after my hemorrhoid surgery when I now think that the doctor nicked the nerve. I had increasing pelvic pain for 5 years to the point that I could not sit down, could not have sex, had numerous vaginal

infections etc. I am sure you are quite familiar with all the symptoms. Fortunately for me, I was referred to Prendergast at the Pelvic Health and Rehabilitation Center in San Francisco, CA. The day I called to make my first appointment, I could barely get through the conversation without crying because I was in such pain and continual vaginal burning. I thought all the fun of my life had been stolen away. The anxiety of this alone was excruciating. told me that after my first appointment with her that I would feel better that day. The truth is that I found that hard to believe after horrible intense daily pain for five years. I went to my first appointment and began my treatment. I cannot say that I enjoyed the treatment. Actually, it was so painful that I almost fainted and we had to stop while I had a glass of water. However, she soldiered on and when I left her

office that day I was not burning vaginally for the first time in years. My pelvic pain did not happen overnight and so I knew that healing from this would also not happen overnight. I made the commitment to stay on the physical therapy path even though I would have been a good candidate for surgery or nerve block injections. I did not want more surgery nor to be injected with substances that could cause other side effects. I had enough problems already. Physical therapy offers the best non-invasive treatment option. As I said, physical therapy is not a quick fix but it is effective. I have been working with for the past year on a twice a week basis. The improvement in my life is literally in her hands! The result is amazing and one that I began to think couldn't happen for me. I have my life back and for that I am truly grateful. While surgery and/or nerve block

injections may provide relief for some people, physical therapy should be considered as the first treatment option. This whole area of pelvic pain reminds me of how people viewed depression 20 years ago. Many people (as many as 1 in 4) suffer in silence, embarrassed to talk about the symptoms and scared that they won't be able to enjoy life ever again. Awareness for pelvic pain needs to be become a national obsession just like depression. Pelvic pain is a condition and one that can be successfully treated with physical therapy. I hope that you will be able to help shine the light on physical therapy for pelvic pain. If there is a way for me to help, I'd be glad to do so.