RemedySpot.com

Chlorhexidine Gluconate

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I had a caudal epidural on Friday. The prep solution they used on me before the blocks set my butt and vulva on FIRE! It is a newer prep (Chlorhexidine Gluconate) sp? Instead of using a swab to spread it on, the assistant or nurse (not sure who she was) literally used a little cloth and wrung it out over my backside. It ran down my butt and when it hit my anal area it began burning. I told them I was burning and was scared to death it would hit my vulva. It did! They would not let me off the surgical table (up too high) when I told them I need to get to the bathroom and wash it off. I realize they had to be careful for fear of people suing should I have fallen, but I did not care...I just wanted the stuff off! It felt like it took forever to get to the

bathroom. By the time I got there I was in tears. I had a pad on (period) and the stuff was laying right against me because it reached the pad. I asked for a peri-bottle to rinse with. The nurse got me a bottle of sterile water and while I waited on her I wet papertowels and tried to wash it off. I sat on the toilet and cried silently so the nurses station right outside would not hear. I should not have cared....but all of this vulvar/pelvic crap is so hard. I sat on that toilet and thought, "just get your purse and leave"...in no time the nurse knocked on the door and said, "we're ready for you, when you're ready". I didn't even want to try again. When I opened the door I told the nurse the only way I'd try is if they would use a different prep solution and if they would block my butt so it could not run down. They did both! This time using the good old standby

of the Betadine prep (they blocked my butt with a lot of cotton). Long story short, please make sure they use a Betadine prep when doing nerve blocks or other procedures in the vulvar/butt area. That Chlorhexidine has ALCOHOL in it! My doc comes in explaining that the old standby of Betadine is just as good...but never once asked me if I was okay now! It never ceases to amaze me what we go through! It never ceases to amaze me regarding the lack of compassion! I hope this will help someone else. Hugs, Chelle