RemedySpot.com

Topical Estrace - Dr. Willems (info to show your doctor)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Chelle wrote: Here is a good one to print out and SHOW your doctor, for those who want to try Estrace Cream Topically! Hugs, Chelle From Dr.

Willems. Head, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation, La Jolla, California It is common gynecologic practice to prepare vaginal tissues for surgery with topical estrogen cream. Estrogen tends to thicken or toughen up the skin, and provide it with a greater blood supply. Thus, the surgeon not only has better tissue to work with, but post-surgery healing potential is increased. "The healing process is slow. It often takes at least six weeks for improvement to ''begin''. However, definite progress should be seen within the first 'six' months. " ''As the condition begins to resolve, increased itching may occur. I caution my patients that this is not a yeast infection and they should not use anti-yeast medication or steroid creams, but just persevere until symptoms subside. Itching is a sign of healing.'' ''In spite of progress, flare-ups or setbacks will continue for a while, especially when a woman is premenstrual or under stress. Gradually, good days outnumber bad days.'' (They do get further and further apart in my experience as well so it takes patience and

persistence.) dee t ''Estrogen cream must be used on an ongoing basis'' (once healed) (Though I definitely would not use it during a flare up, just back off for 3-5 days then go back. Dee) ''Whenever my patients discontinue it entirely, they have relapses. Many women, however, are able to decrease the dose to one application a day, then every other day, and so on, until they find their individual maintenance levels.'' (I am on a maintenance of twice a week (sometimes once) and it's kept me well for over 7 years now (after 10 yrs of extreme pain and suffering) Dee ''When on this regimen, only a 'minuscule' amount of estrogen is absorbed into the system. My patients' blood levels have been normal when checked; and 'none' have reported any symptoms of hyperestrogenism, such as increased breast size.'' (note* He had his women on a much larger amt. of E. cream (toothbrush size, and we usually say peasize) than I'd ever suggest and still they had little if any systemic absorption) Dee ''Over time, topical estrogen has the ability to effect tissue remodeling or reconditioning even in severely damaged or scarred tissue.'' ''Topical

estrogen ...builds up connective tissue, making vulvar skin stronger and more resistant to inflammation. Regardless of the precise etiology (cause), physicians now have some good tools to begin helping women to dramatically reduce their vaginal pain and return to normal functioning.'' ''For the vast majority of medical practitioners, just to learn that the vulvar vestibule should not be removed surgically is big news. The message we want to get out is 'Don't Operate, don't laser; don't inject with interferon until you have tried the other non-invasive, non-traumatic modalities." - J, Willems, M.D