RemedySpot.com

SINGULAIR & SUICIDAL THOUGHTS (montelukast) FDA/ Singulair And Behavior/Mood Changes, Suicidality, And Suicide

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

HI all.... I just got this FDA warning on Singulair in case any of you are

using it for your V pain and I know some physicians use it for that as well.

(typically used for asthmatic symptoms)

It's a Leukotriene 'inhibitor' and leukotrienes are part of theinflammatory condition (as are histamine, basophils, TNF, and others)

It helps to fight inflammation (and why we suggest antihistamines).

Those are all good when needed to help heal us but when they continue

working long after they should have stopped, they can be very damaging

esp. to the skin.Leukotrienes have been implicated in the development of theinflammation responses in asthma, "psoriasis", rheumatoid arthritis,and inflammatory bowel disease. So Singulair is something basically that inhibitsinflammation (almost like an anti-histamine) and makes sense to me asto why some practictioners use that for V pain. I know some of you

'may' be on that but seeing this now, (below) it makes 'me' somewhat leery.

(as if antidepressants aren't enough *sigh*)

Just a thought. I also wonder if it's similar to Allegra,

used for the same reasons. Ummmm?

Dee

----- Original Message ----- From: U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA)

To: DTroll@...

FDA informed healthcare professionals and patients of the Agency's investigation of the possible association between the use of Singulair and behavior/mood changes, suicidality (suicidal thinking and behavior) and suicide.

Singulair is a leukotriene receptor antagonist used to treat asthma and the symptoms of allergic rhinitis, and to prevent exercise-induced asthma.

Patients should not stop taking Singulair before talking to their doctor if they have questions about the new information. Healthcare professionals and caregivers should monitor patients taking Singulair for suicidality (suicidal thinking and behavior) and changes in behavior and mood.

This early communication is in keeping with FDA’s commitment to inform the public about its ongoing safety reviews of drugs. Due to the complexity of the analyses, FDA anticipates that it may take up to 9 months to complete the ongoing evaluations. As soon as this review is complete, FDA will communicate the conclusions and recommendations to the public.

Read the complete 2008 MedWatch Safety Summary, including a link to the FDA Early Communication About An Ongoing Safety Review regarding this issue at:

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2008/safety08.htm#Singulair