RemedySpot.com

Re: Who's Still Working/ attn Bob

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Bob, Welcome to the group. Good post. I would get help for your wife and treat avery day like your last. Talk again soon.

Steve 60 from Buckley WA IPF 2006

Reply-To: Breathe-Support To: Breathe-Support Subject: Re: Who's Still Working? I am, but I'm tired....any suggestions?Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:51:17 -0700 (PDT)

:

My name is Bob. I am also new to the board. I have not introduced myself as yet, so I will do so while I answer your post.

I am 63 and was first dx with COPD in 1996 and then with PF in 1997. Both were mild and fortunately, ubtil recently, were not that restrictive. It would take some time for me to be short of breath. Then in August 2005, I had a massive heart attack and since then have had a tougher time. My PF was caused by methotrexate and I was told that since I stopped taking the drug, my PF would mot spread. Something has caused me to become SOB, either the PF or the heart attack or a combination. I am still trying to determine what the causes are.

I qualified for SSDI in 2007, but found out that I could not afford to stay on it. I am an accountant by trade and went back to college when I was 55. I completed my bachelor's and went on to complete my MBA, but with two sons in college also, my tuition went on student loans. What with my mortgage, loans and just the cost of living, I had to return to work. If I could afford it, I would stay home. I am close to going on oxygen now and I really do not want to use it at work. By the time I get home at night I collapse on the chair and stay there til bed time!

I have been married for 40 years and have two sons. We live outside Chicago. The oldest was married this past March 29 and the other son will be married September 6th! My wife is going into a deep depression! She does not want the boys to leave the nest, but hopefully, she will get used to it. I am hoping that my health can stabilize and we will have a little time to enjoy ourselves.

What this all comes down to, is that if you can afford to be home and you do not have enough energy for work, then take the SSDI. Only you can make that decision. You can still work part time on SS - or at least that was the case for me, but then I was 61 or 62 by the time I went on and I can not say whether the rules are the same for all.

I wish you the best and you will find comfort and good advice from others on the board.

Take care,

Bob

Who's Still Working? I am, but I'm tired....any suggestions?

Hi,I'm new to group, but not so new to the diagnosis. I am 34 yrs old and was diagnosed with Scleroderma (CREST) when i was 19. I've had some struggles with my health, and have had some lung fibrosis since the '90s, but in Dec. 2006 breathing became hard for me. I've been on oxygen since Aug. 2007. I work as an auditor and am required to travel some times. I was refused boarding by an airline in Jan. 2008, because I was trying to fly without my concentrator. ...I'd called b4 the flight to inquire about o2 concentrators, but decided not to bring it b/c the home health care co. refused to provide me with 2 batteries. Anyway, when i work all day, I'm tired and don't feel like doing anything else. I know I'm being looked at differently now that I'm tied to o2. I'm hoping to get better, but I've hoping to get better now for almost 2 yrs. Should I apply for SSDI or try working part-time or something like that at first? I don't want to give up, but it's getting hard to keep up my performance at work. Sorry for the long post.